What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

souths_reborn

Juniors
yes Balconies is over the top —- but the option was either that are boot them all , because they were passing items between floors via the balconies. Defeats the purpose of quarantine . Rightit or wrongly these are the draconian measures they put in place so they don’t have to be on months long lockdown like the rest of us in Sydney .

‘’if they don’t like the conditions they can get the next flight back to Sydney and live off same restrictions as the rest of us . 1 more week of inconvience and they will be able to roam around with more freedom then the rest of us .
Again you have to ask yourself why are the passing items between balconies? The answer is because the living conditions were the equivalent of a Thai prison camp. Basically, it shouldn't come down to a question of rightly or wrongly; basic living standards are a right, not some sort of moral obligation. If the Queensland government and that feral Jeanette Young wanted to kick them out, then I hope the NRL would have had the gumption to challenge them in court.

simmo05

Bench
Again you have to ask yourself why are the passing items between balconies? The answer is because the living conditions were the equivalent of a Thai prison camp. Basically, it shouldn't come down to a question of rightly or wrongly; basic living standards are a right, not some sort of moral obligation. If the Queensland government and that feral Jeanette Young wanted to kick them out, then I hope the NRL would have had the gumption to challenge them in court.
Those marshmallows were smuggled in in someone's anus.

gerg

Juniors
The "rules is rules" mentality is a very short-sighted and narrow minded way of thinking. In order for rules to be effective they need to be pragmatic; you can't simply implement something and then expect people to follow it blindly. Remember, people are not robots; they embody conditions from their immediate environment. Hence, denying someone the right to fresh air is not only unrealistic but it is almost verging on a violation of human rights. With regard to smuggling women into the bubble, that is not something that was necessary and he deserved to be punished.

How dare 'they' put a warning label on this bottle of methylated spirits. It's a violation of my basic human rights.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How dare 'they' put a warning label on this bottle of methylated spirits. It's a violation of my basic human rights.
and fancy being made to wear a seat belt, if I want to go through the windscreen in a crash I should have very right to!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes not having access to marshmallows is an absolute human rights violation!

Pretty Penny

Juniors
The "rules is rules" mentality is a very short-sighted and narrow minded way of thinking. In order for rules to be effective they need to be pragmatic; you can't simply implement something and then expect people to follow it blindly. Remember, people are not robots; they embody conditions from their immediate environment. Hence, denying someone the right to fresh air is not only unrealistic but it is almost verging on a violation of human rights. With regard to smuggling women into the bubble, that is not something that was necessary and he deserved to be punished.
The League continues to operate because governments have granted extraordinary concessions. The players fortunes rely on continuation of that goodwill – if they fail to deliver behaviour that meets the standard expected then their season ends prematurely and they end up at Centrelink.

That has more to do with the harsh realities of normal life for unskilled labourers than “sanctimony” don’t you think?

souths_reborn

Juniors
The League continues to operate because governments have granted extraordinary concessions. The players fortunes rely on continuation of that goodwill – if they fail to deliver behaviour that meets the standard expected then their season ends prematurely and they end up at Centrelink.

That has more to do with the harsh realities of normal life for unskilled labourers than “sanctimony” don’t you think?
No I don't that at all. Nor do I think the government has the right to resort to extortion in forcing players to adhere to completely inhumane regulations in order to continue making a living. Lets not get completely hoodwinked by the government here. The NRL is a multimillion dollar industry that is bringing a lot of money into the state of Queensland. Furthermore, at time in which public morale is so low due to these lockdowns, hosting the competition has significant PR benefits. Given that Queensland is a hardcore Rugby League state, could you imagine how much backlash the government would face if it took away the game?

I do not buy this whole "goodwill" concept, with the government going out on a limb to accommodate the NRL. The Queensland Government, whose premier's actions have been highly dubious throughout the pandemic, is damn lucky they are given the privilege and honour of hosting the entire competition. The least they could do is to treat players like human beings instead of caged animals.

souths_reborn

Juniors
Yes not having access to marshmallows is an absolute human rights violation!
You make a lot of good points on here but sarcasm in this instance is not warranted. I'm sure you and your family wouldn't like to be exposed to the conditions that the NRL players. It is true that they get paid a lot of money for what they do but that does not make it any easier on the players and families. There is the mental health aspect to all of this as well. Being confined to poorly accommodated quarters is tough for anyone, regardless of their profession.

AJB1102

First Grade
It won't get shut down and even if it did they'd still be paid.

Just because you're doing it tough don't expect everyone else to suffer.

gerg

Juniors
No I don't that at all. Nor do I think the government has the right to resort to extortion in forcing players to adhere to completely inhumane regulations in order to continue making a living. Lets not get completely hoodwinked by the government here. The NRL is a multimillion dollar industry that is bringing a lot of money into the state of Queensland. Furthermore, at time in which public morale is so low due to these lockdowns, hosting the competition has significant PR benefits. Given that Queensland is a hardcore Rugby League state, could you imagine how much backlash the government would face if it took away the game?

I do not buy this whole "goodwill" concept, with the government going out on a limb to accommodate the NRL. The Queensland Government, whose premier's actions have been highly dubious throughout the pandemic, is damn lucky they are given the privilege and honour of hosting the entire competition. The least they could do is to treat players like human beings instead of caged animals.

Seriously? You need to take a deep breath, do a Google image search of 'inhumane conditions' and get a little perspective.

souths_reborn

Juniors
Seriously? You need to take a deep breath, do a Google image search of 'inhumane conditions' and get a little perspective.
Yeah I am being serious! Have you seen the conditions that the players have been forced to live under? Its not a POW camp but I would be willing to bet that you would be kicking up a stink if you and your family were forced to live under them. Its all beer and skittles until the shoe is on the other foot!

gerg

Juniors
Yeah I am being serious! Have you seen the conditions that the players have been forced to live under? Its not a POW camp but I would be willing to bet that you would be kicking up a stink if you and your family were forced to live under them. Its all beer and skittles until the shoe is on the other foot!

I was being serious too. Google image search 'inhumane conditions' as you clearly don't understand the expression. And yes I have lived and worked on worse conditions.

Reactions: Vee

souths_reborn

Juniors
I was being serious too. Google image search 'inhumane conditions' as you clearly don't understand the expression. And yes I have lived and worked on worse conditions.
I do understand humane perfectly. The definition of humane is "without compassion for misery or suffering; cruel." I call being deprived of water, food, milk and proper sustenance for babies as being inhumane. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves and probably should be sent to a Thai prison camp to be given a nice, little wake-up call. Also, take into account this suffering is being felt by the families of NRL players, who are making an enormous sacrifice by being there to support to the players.

gerg

Juniors
I do understand humane perfectly. The definition of humane is "without compassion for misery or suffering; cruel." I call being deprived of water, food, milk and proper sustenance for babies as being inhumane. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves and probably should be sent to a Thai prison camp to be given a nice, little wake-up call. Also, take into account this suffering is being felt by the families of NRL players, who are making an enormous sacrifice by being there to support to the players.
You got a link to these claims?

souths_reborn

Juniors
You got a link to these claims?
I do but you need to have a subscription. https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...8c64af96fcee5&memtype=registered&mode=premium

This article from the Daily Mail does make reference to the claims though:

gerg

Juniors
I do but you need to have a subscription. https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/subscribe/news/1/?sourceCode=DTWEB_WRE170_a&dest=https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-families-fly-to-queensland-to-undergo-twoweek-quarantine-before-joining-partners/news-story/8f8d9a013d76378b78a8c64af96fcee5&memtype=registered&mode=premium

This article from the Daily Mail does make reference to the claims though:

When will those fine investigative journalists at the Daily Telegraph tell us the full story? Stop reading that bullshit, it's bad for your health.

souths_reborn

Juniors
When will those fine investigative journalists at the Daily Telegraph tell us the full story? Stop reading that bullshit, it's bad for your health.
Granted News Limited has a tendency to distort the truth but with that being said, I believe the articles does contain some validity. Anyone who has been in hotel quarantine will know that the conditions are not great. Hence, it would not be surprising if the families of NRL players are experiencing something similar. I think the very fact that players have to duct tape their doors shut and are being denied fresh air speaks volumes about the conditions that they are being forced to live under.