What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 21 - The Roosters

WestyLife

First Grade
Dyl
Taylan
Tago
Burton
Naden
Luai
Falls
Leota
Api
Sorensen
Martin
Capes
Yeo

Lenui
Kiks
Tpj
Kenny

Id love to see lenui kiks and tpj on all at once. Would be extremley hard to handle and lots of impact.

Now critta out tago needs to play centre. Him and taylan have a fantastic combo and looked brilliant playing same side in reggies.. they tore teams apart.

Kiks i think needs to be benched. He might be trying harder but some of his defence has been piss weak..if i see him do another shirt grab he can get dropped all together. The amount of times he ends up not at marker and just on the ground out of the ruck blows my mind. Grant and cheese can easily exploit one marker. Kikau needs to get back at marker!!!

Falls deserves a shot. The luai burton experiment just hasnt worked. Burton isnt an organiser and hes looked really uncomfortable in that role. I think we a need to at least try falls before the finals and see how he goes with luai in case nath reinjures the shoulder.

Burton has also been at his best at centre and has been really good in attack there. He really straightens up the attack with brilliant hole running when he wears the 3 jumper.

I think sorensen deserves a start. Hes been brilliant. He can do the hard stuff whilst jwh is on the field than bring on the inpact players and have them target sam walker non stop..

Martin to start in the 2nd row where i yhink hes definitley been his best this year. He has such good leg speed and drive that when he plays wider he often can get one on one with a defender a get really really wuick play the balls to get us momentum. He has still been strong at prop but he cant get isolated and his play the balls have been much slower.

Whether it would work or not I couldn't see Ivan picking that 17. Unless he's become a different coach willing to make bigger risk/reward type selections.

Girds89

Bench
Whether it would work or not I couldn't see Ivan picking that 17. Unless he's become a different coach willing to make bigger risk/reward type selections.
Agreed. He wont pick that 17. Which is a shame because i think he needs to take a few risks if we are to really give it a shake this year.

Roosters given their injuries still have a really really strong side. Their backs and pack are very good. Teddy and manu can really cause havoc and their forwards really role their sleeves up.

Im sure its going to be a really tough game. We will look a bit different and i think we are going to have to play really well to get the two points.

The roosters are to well coached for this to be a walk in the park.

Really hope cleary has the balls to shake things up a bit. He wont tho.

snickers007

Juniors
On the subject of kicking players...

That should deadest be a far heftier suspension. Cut that crap out of the game.

10000%. Kicking, tripping and headbutting should all be an automatic send off - minimum. I used to ref a bit of league, and that was always the case.

Funny story, in 2008 for the Centenary of League there was a big knockout tournament held between all the rep teams. I got a first round match. There were 4 matches held at the same ground this day, and Gerard and Bernard Sutton had the first 2 games, I had the 3rd, and someone else did the 4th. They were still reffing in CRL at this stage, but I was told by the referee coach, that one of them would likely end up with the final, and that they were headed to the NRL the following year.

Anyway, Gerard Sutton ran my touchline for me. And my game was a stinker, 60 odd points difference. Just completely one sided. But one of the players on the losing team tripped a guy in the leadup to a runaway try. Sutton came on to report it. I sin-binned the guy, because there wasn't much in it, and the game was pretty much over etc.

After the match, I had the ref's coach and the Sutton boys tear me a new one and was told I was black listed from any future rep games in CRL. The reason was "tripping, kicking and headbutt's are send off offences. No if's or but's. It's in the rulebook."

Fast forward 10 years, and Gerard Sutton sin-binned our mate Munster for kicking a player in the head in the GF. All I could do was laugh.

Girds89

Bench
10000%. Kicking, tripping and headbutting should all be an automatic send off - minimum. I used to ref a bit of league, and that was always the case.

Funny story, in 2008 for the Centenary of League there was a big knockout tournament held between all the rep teams. I got a first round match. There were 4 matches held at the same ground this day, and Gerard and Bernard Sutton had the first 2 games, I had the 3rd, and someone else did the 4th. They were still reffing in CRL at this stage, but I was told by the referee coach, that one of them would likely end up with the final, and that they were headed to the NRL the following year.

Anyway, Gerard Sutton ran my touchline for me. And my game was a stinker, 60 odd points difference. Just completely one sided. But one of the players on the losing team tripped a guy in the leadup to a runaway try. Sutton came on to report it. I sin-binned the guy, because there wasn't much in it, and the game was pretty much over etc.

After the match, I had the ref's coach and the Sutton boys tear me a new one and was told I was black listed from any future rep games in CRL. The reason was "tripping, kicking and headbutt's are send off offences. No if's or but's. It's in the rulebook."

Fast forward 10 years, and Gerard Sutton sin-binned our mate Munster for kicking a player in the head in the GF. All I could do was laugh.

Gerard sutton honestly comes across as the most arrogant ref in the game.

Just the way he explains things and his demeanour screams arrogance.

Hes made a few terrible decisions in the bunker of late but i dont mind henry perenira. He appears really approachable and i think he is a pretty even sort of ref.

mxlegend99

Referee
Well with Critter out my side would be:

1. Edwards
2. Staines
3. Tago
4. Burton
5. Naden
6. Luai
7. Falls
8. Leota
9. Api
10. Martin
11. Kikau
12. Capewell
13. Yeo

14. Kenny
15. TPJ
16. Leniu
17. Sorensen

We need to try having like for like replacements and keep our shape as best we can. Burton in the halves isn't working and it's weakening our centres.

If Critter beats his charge into centres for Tago. Tago to bench and bye bye Mitch Kenny. But we never beat our charges.

Girds89

Bench
Too late to play Falls imo. Ivan f**ked that up
The benefit falls would have is at full strength (including tpj) we have close to the best if not the best pack in the comp.

We very rarely get beaten up front and we generally always make enough meters to get into attacking territory.

The only real game we got belted ths year was first against broncs when haas lodge and tpj run riot.

Falls wouldnt be playing behind a beaten pack so hed have time.

He would literally just need to do most the long kicking and steer the side and keep the attack direct.

Luai can do the short kicking and fancy stuff.

Capewell is a very good defender and could help falls out. Tago is also very strong and hasnt missed a beat in defence so far.

murraymob

Coach
Falls has had no footy for several weeks not a option .I can see the following Monday on here pitch forks out carving him and Cleary up

snickers007

Juniors
Gerard sutton honestly comes across as the most arrogant ref in the game.

Just the way he explains things and his demeanour screams arrogance.

Hes made a few terrible decisions in the bunker of late but i dont mind henry perenira. He appears really approachable and i think he is a pretty even sort of ref.

Yeah I've met Henry through refereeing as well, and he's a really nice guy. Complete contrast to the Sutton boys. I didn't really rate him as a ref - I think at times he was a bit deer in headlights - but good bloke.

I think because he played the game at a high level, he understood how to generally communicate with the players. To me he struggled when his player brain was in conflict with his referee brain - which essentially comes down to NRL Refs having their feel for the game coached out of them - and being forced to use ridiculous language to explain decisions in an effort to appear consistent with each other.

I think we saw that conflict in action yesterday when he awarded Melbourne's 3rd try. By the letter of the law, it's a no-try, penalty for the obstruction. But his player brain saw Kikau take a dive, and ruled accordingly.

The Sutton boys on the other hand never played the game. Probably got beat up by footballers in high school, and took up the whistle as revenge. Typical small-man, powertrip mentalities on display - exactly what referee coaches love.

Girds89

Bench
Yeah I've met Henry through refereeing as well, and he's a really nice guy. Complete contrast to the Sutton boys. I didn't really rate him as a ref - I think at times he was a bit deer in headlights - but good bloke.

I think because he played the game at a high level, he understood how to generally communicate with the players. To me he struggled when his player brain was in conflict with his referee brain - which essentially comes down to NRL Refs having their feel for the game coached out of them - and being forced to use ridiculous language to explain decisions in an effort to appear consistent with each other.

I think we saw that conflict in action yesterday when he awarded Melbourne's 3rd try. By the letter of the law, it's a no-try, penalty for the obstruction. But his player brain saw Kikau take a dive, and ruled accordingly.

The Sutton boys on the other hand never played the game. Probably got beat up by footballers in high school, and took up the whistle as revenge. Typical small-man, powertrip mentalities on display - exactly what referee coaches love.

To be completley honest. I was happy the ruled thst kikau one a try.

He dove trying to get a penalty and he would never ever have got into a position to stop it.

The obstruction rule really is a bit of a joke. Defenders know exactly how to exploit it. Was nice to see common sense by the bunker even if technically it was a no try.

Im happy for them to use a common sense approach with those decisions. To often defenders purposley make contact, take a big dive and were never going to stop it anyway but they call no try.

Was a good decision

franklin2323

Immortal
We need to make some massive decisions regarding players coming back.

Cleary is the key decision. We will get Api and TPJ in. Yeo I'm not sure. Do we pull the trigger on Cleary or hold off?

My feeling is we don't lose any more regular season matches once Cleary returns. But how important is a win next week with our top 4 position set in stone?

No need to risk anyone

Yeo, Api and TPJ in strengthens the side

Edwards
Naden
Tago
Momo/Crichton ( next week)
Staines
Burton
Luai
Martin
Api
Leota
Kikau
Capewell
Yeo

Kenny
TPJ
Sorensen
Eisenhuth/Leinu

That 17 gets the job done v Roosters and Dragons.

Gives 3 weeks to get combinations back with Cleary and May back

Fangs

Coach
Agree. Trips should also be a straight send off with a few weeks holiday

What about eye gouging?

Josh McGuire was 4 weeks on his second one. They gave Hudson Young 8 weeks. I'd prefer it be closer to 10 minimum, Its an absolutely f**ked thing to do in a professional sport (Assuming we are professional).

WestyLife

First Grade
Falls has had no footy for several weeks not a option .I can see the following Monday on here pitch forks out carving him and Cleary up

I don't know about everyone else but I'm more forgiving of rookies. Ivan would get my praise for taking the risk.

MrBlack

Juniors
I still like the idea of Api play in the 6

He is creative and has great defense. Leaves Burton in the centres where he belongs.

1. Edwards
2. Naden
3. Burton
4. Momorovski
5. Staines
6. Api
7. Luai

Tago impact from the bench

Its not ideal - but that backline would worry the current Roosters backline

franklin2323

Immortal
I still like the idea of Api play in the 6

He is creative and has great defense. Leaves Burton in the centres where he belongs.

1. Edwards
2. Naden
3. Burton
4. Momorovski
5. Staines
6. Api
7. Luai

Tago impact from the bench

Its not ideal - but that backline would worry the current Roosters backline

Poor service from Hooker has been noticeable. Kenny could do the job May was in 7

Whino

Bench
I wouldn't put too much hope in Api being useful. What he did, I doubt his mind will be fully on the job.