What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Avenger

Immortal
He beat the Storm in the grand final. I'm sure he had our under 20s side go undefeated one year?
BA will have his time now. 5 big games and then finals. If we go in and beat Souths and Manly the next 2 weeks then all this talk is silly.

If we only win 1 of last 5 and bow out first week of finals I would be more excited about Flanno.

Gould reckons every side from 7-10 to make 8 can knock us out first week of finals. Tbh I kind of agree. Unless we can turn things rnd this weekend. Lets hope we do.
I speak to plenty of league people and this is a common assessment. We are perennial chokers with a soft underbelly and until we jag another comp it will stay that way.

hindy111

Post Whore
I speak to plenty of league people and this is a common assessment. We are perennial chokers with a soft underbelly and until we jag another comp it will stay that way.

This is an unpopular view but I reckon our two best play makers are down hill skiers. Gutherson when pressures in doesn't step up either. Same as Moses. Both lost us games we could of won with a good kick. I'm not basing just on this but the last 3yrs....

RCG season over. 6-8 weeks

hindy111

Post Whore
mate, you gotta stop reading Gould articles

this is just rhetoric with no real technical meaning, you just need to mention "down hill skiers" and you'll have the full set

2017 we where consistent. Copped a few sizeable losses but in general where in the fight and matched the big boys including in finals. Lost to both grand finalists. I think it was our best year and best chance since 2009. We had Semi and MJ was still elite then.

2019 - Against big boys

Storm 32-0 in final.
Canberra 19-0
Roosters 32-18
Storm 64-10
Sharks 42-22

Roosters 24-10
Souths 38-0
Penrith 20-2

Finals
Storm 36-24
Souths 38-24

We actualy went ok in the finals. Had 3 losses in season but only 2 where embarrassing. It was an improvement on 2019.

Roosters 28-0 No Moses or Marata. Lost Rcg and Blake
Souths 38-20 No D.Brown or RCG
Manly 28 - 6 No D.Brown or Marata

We also had a poor loss early to Saints but games like that happen.

As it stands we haven't been in contest in 3 games. But we where missing one of our halves in all these. We also lost our best prop in two of these games. So yes there are some excuses.

TheRam

Coach
Zac Lomax apparently may be asking for a release. Swap for Blake?

F**k yeah! If true we would be mad not to swap them. Lomax is defensively great and can attack real well too and also great in the air. He ticks all the right boxes. Him and Pinisini would be a very formidable centre pairing.

Please be true.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
after 8 seasons and the team he wants surely the continual excuses must stop??? Effort areas and chasing the collision has taken us as far as it can. Time to rip the band off and do what should of been done after 2018’s absolute derp fest.

gaffer

Juniors
No mention of the assistant coaches they seem to be blameless. They should get the Ultimatum from Arthur or be dropped to reggies Underperforming players get dropped why not assistant coaches

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t need to read his articles. I’ve experienced every crunch game we’ve played since our last premiership.

not sure how any of that is relevant as you still use his words, up to you though, its your opinion

as to whether they still need work on their abdominal muscles probabaly has no affect on their game

TheRam

Coach
Not really bro. I’m older now and a little wiser but it won’t be the correct move not when there are better alternatives available now.

But the problem with Bennett is that he wants to go back to Brissy for personal reasons and that is why he is leaving the Bunnies. So I don't think he is a true option.

That only leaves us with BA's mate, Shane Flanagan as a recognised premiership winning coach or Paul Green.

Hardly salivating at the thought of either of them and Cameron Ciraldo is probably next best of the untried assistant coaches. Again hardly stain your pants exciting.

I think we need to make an all out effort for Trent Robinson and see if we can pull that off otherwise no matter who we replace him with it will only be a middle tier coach or an untried pray and hope candidate.

The best option for us right now is to try and strengthen BA's support staff and get him better assistant coaches. Otherwise no matter who we bring in they will hardly have the clout to attract big names and they will have to prove themselves like all other coaches bar the 3 elites in the game.

Pity Cronulla moved on Craig Fitzgibbon, he would have been my choice, but anyway, them's the breaks. We could always go for the out of left field option and ask Brad Fitler, but I'm afraid our board aren't that adventurist and very conservative. But I would love to see us do something like that. Give him two years. I think he would be well worth a shot and at least as good as most of the NRL coaches at present and has player draw power. He would have a very competitive team to start with so it wouldn't be like him starting from scratch and therefore will have a decent win record from from the get go, so add that to his reputation and name and it all goes well for him being able to attract the one or two players that we are missing to go the next step. Sponsors would also love him too.

Anyway, lets see what we do.

84 Baby

Referee
But the problem with Bennett is that he wants to go back to Brissy for personal reasons and that is why he is leaving the Bunnies. So I don't think he is a true option.

That only leaves us with BA's mate, Shane Flanagan as a recognised premiership winning coach or Paul Green.

Hardly salivating at the thought of either of them and Cameron Ciraldo is probably next best of the untried assistant coaches. Again hardly stain your pants exciting.

I think we need to make an all out effort for Trent Robinson and see if we can pull that off otherwise no matter who we replace him with it will only be a middle tier coach or an untried pray and hope candidate.

The best option for us right now is to try and strengthen BA's support staff and get him better assistant coaches. Otherwise no matter who we bring in they will hardly have the clout to attract big names and they will have to prove themselves like all other coaches bar the 3 elites in the game.

Pity Cronulla moved on Craig Fitzgibbon, he would have been my choice, but anyway, them's the breaks. We could always go for the out of left field option and ask Brad Fitler, but I'm afraid our board aren't that adventurist and very conservative. But I would love to see us do something like that. Give him two years. I think he would be well worth a shot and at least as good as most of the NRL coaches at present and has player draw power. He would have a very competitive team to start with so it wouldn't be like him starting from scratch and therefore will have a decent win record from from the get go, so add that to his reputation and name and it all goes well for him being able to attract the one or two players that we are missing to go the next step. Sponsors would also love him too.

I wonder how @hineyrulz would’ve felt if we traded BA for Fitzgibbon. Fitzgibbon is even balder than BA and Mary combined

Avenger

Immortal

My only reservation with Bennett is that he always wants total control with retention and recruitment and I’m guessing the salary cap. We now have a committee for that due to the debacle of 2016 and we know when he exited Newcastle and Brisbane their salary cap was a mess and they are still reeling from it.

The same thing happened with Flanagan at Cronulla with players on massive back ended deals.

Any coach that succeeds BA must have similar management skills and have the ability where players want to play for him. This equates to signing and retaining players at under market value.