What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moses Mbye

thebigredv

First Grade
Positives:
* Norman has 4 games maximum left for us. Plus Dufty and his shitty attitude.
* Some good signings in the forwards next year with Su’a, Molo and Burgess. Hopefully a few more surprises to come.
* Sloan, Amone, Sullivan, Feagai’s, to get a full pre season in with the team, can only help for next year considering the stop start of playing over the last 2 years for them.
* Bird will improve with a full pre season too and hit the ground running in 2022.
* JDB to be available from round 1.

I've seen too many mental and skill frailties with this team to believe it is the correct environment to foster a swathe of young blokes at least at this very moment. We will be pinning unfair hope and pressure on kids in their entry to first grade. Who aside from Hunt will we have to guide them? Aside from him we don't have composed leaders making good game decisions.

The three forward acquisitions have been solid so far but they aren't leader types.

I'm just not feeling it. So much ground to make up.

Dragon David

First Grade
Positives:
* Norman has 4 games maximum left for us. Plus Dufty and his shitty attitude.
* Some good signings in the forwards next year with Su’a, Molo and Burgess. Hopefully a few more surprises to come.
* Sloan, Amone, Sullivan, Feagai’s, to get a full pre season in with the team, can only help for next year considering the stop start of playing over the last 2 years for them.
* Bird will improve with a full pre season too and hit the ground running in 2022.
* JDB to be available from round 1.
Yes, got to remain positive. With more discipline and more attention to detail and very minimal mistakes, we can do it. We just made too many of those things this year and it has been frustrating for us so let's see how we travel in the new year.

thebigredv

First Grade
No problem - personally I don’t mind his signing - if he is a 14 off the bench I’m cool with that

He would come cheap as on a short contract so you could think 'might as well', but I've been watching him for a long while and all I see is another depth player taking a spot in the squad. Does that fit the bill, honestly? He doesn't impact play greatly especially in sides that struggle already, he just seems so bland even on a good day.

We could do with a utility or maybe an established 5/8 but definitely would rather stick to Amone/Sullivan in that case.

Anyway I get no say in these decisions clearly so at least if he comes we get a great person and fantastic speaker.

He's a poor mans' Benji Marshall.

If we really wanted a value buy - I'd 100% go Benji over him. Whatever people thought about him in the Red V after his Auckland Blues experiment, there's no doubt he's improved immensely since then - even despite his age.

And if you want a guy to help develop your young halves..... and not get in their way, who has nothing to prove...

Mbye sitting as a #14 off the bench, that's BS to me - he'll have so much to prove to everyone, including himself. He'll be 28 and this could be his last chance saloon to prove he's a class first grade player - which he hasn't done so far in his NRL Career. The guy will be ambitious - not happy to take a backseat role. Especially as a backup hooker to a 32 year old plodder. If that's the logic / strategy I'm not buying it.

Benji on the other hand couldn't give two flying figs about proving anything. He's simply been happy to play the game now. Has consistently suggested it. Furthermore he's played the #14 role brilliantly for the most part this season.

Is Jayden Sullivan and co going to look up more to Benji Marshall or Moses Mbye?

Who's going to be the best guy for our emerging halves to learn from....??

It's a no brainer for me but the Dragons have consistently proven they don't consider brains as essential in running a football club.

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade

If we really wanted a value buy - I'd 100% go Benji over him. Whatever people thought about him in the Red V after his Auckland Blues experiment, there's no doubt he's improved immensely since then - even despite his age.

And if you want a guy to help develop your young halves..... and not get in their way, who has nothing to prove...

Mbye sitting as a #14 off the bench, that's BS to me - he'll have so much to prove to everyone, including himself. He'll be 28 and this could be his last chance saloon to prove he's a class first grade player - which he hasn't done so far in his NRL Career. The guy will be ambitious - not happy to take a backseat role. Especially as a backup hooker to a 32 year old plodder. If that's the logic / strategy I'm not buying it.

Benji on the other hand couldn't give two flying figs about proving anything. He's simply been happy to play the game now. Has consistently suggested it. Furthermore he's played the #14 role brilliantly for the most part this season.

Is Jayden Sullivan and co going to look up more to Benji Marshall or Moses Mbye?

It's a no brainer for me but the Dragons have consistently proven they don't consider brains as essential in running a football club.
From all reports Mbye is a good clubman & if so I don’t see how he wouldn’t be of value to the youngsters as well as being happy to play his role within the club.

BLM01

First Grade
From all reports Mbye is a good clubman & if so I don’t see how he wouldn’t be of value to the youngsters as well as being happy to play his role within the club.
Agree with plenty of football left in him if we can find the right spot
When he was playing 7 at the Dogs I thought he did a pretty good job steering them around, taking the line on, bit of pace of the mark and not a bad kicking game under Des

Not sure what the Tigers have done to him or if he had injury but you don’t lose natural talent
He us only 27 now so who knows if he can reclaim something with some stability
Worth a gamble until Sullivan and Amone are ready to steer our side around in the next 12 months or so and maybe Hunt to 9 eventually
Cody Walker made his debut st 26?

I'm Hornby

Juniors

Not sure bring Benji back would add much value at all sorry mate.

I think your comment has more to do with wearing your Bennett goggles around and in your mind Bennett signing a has been is a great signing where as Hook signing a guy over 25 is another plodder.

I don't doubt that mate, don't doubt his character or professionalism. I just can't see him happy to take a "backseat role" as has been suggested, especially a backseat role in a team performing as badly as we are.

A backup at the Roosters, Storm, Souths etc.... yeah I could.

But the Dragons.....

Perhaps this is why he hasn't been signed yet despite the long period of speculation and supposed discussions... Pure speculation but he could be hesitant if not signed to play a position in the run-on side.

In my career, if I still had many years left in me before retirement and was offered a job in a company with a similar (potentially poorer) performance record.... but in a lesser role than I am currently in, below people who are currently doing the same job as me.... I know what my response would be....

The money thing could work for both clubs - Tigers offload some of their inflated salary cap and the Dragons get a player at a reduced price. But work for Mbye??

I don't see it personally but thats just my opinion. Marshall would fit the mould of the speculated logic far better than Mbye for mine in a number of ways.

Not sure bring Benji back would add much value at all sorry mate.

I think your comment has more to do with wearing your Bennett goggles around and in your mind Bennett signing a has been is a great signing where as Hook signing a guy over 25 is another plodder.

Appreciate the first line, all good.

The second couldn't be more incorrect.

Dragon David

First Grade
Agree with plenty of football left in him if we can find the right spot
When he was playing 7 at the Dogs I thought he did a pretty good job steering them around, taking the line on, bit of pace of the mark and not a bad kicking game under Des

Not sure what the Tigers have done to him or if he had injury but you don’t lose natural talent
He us only 27 now so who knows if he can reclaim something with some stability
Worth a gamble until Sullivan and Amone are ready to steer our side around in the next 12 months or so and maybe Hunt to 9 eventually
Cody Walker made his debut st 26?
Yes you are spot on BLM01. Cody Walker debuted for the Bunnies in 2016 at the age of 26. We all know how good he has turned out. Hopefully the change of club like ours for Mbye will help him to rediscover his better days.

blacksafake

First Grade
I don't doubt that mate, don't doubt his character or professionalism. I just can't see him happy to take a "backseat role" as has been suggested, especially a backseat role in a team performing as badly as we are.

A backup at the Roosters, Storm, Souths etc.... yeah I could.

But the Dragons.....

Perhaps this is why he hasn't been signed yet despite the long period of speculation and supposed discussions... Pure speculation but he could be hesitant if not signed to play a position in the run-on side.

In my career, if I still had many years left in me before retirement and was offered a job in a company with a similar (potentially poorer) performance record.... but in a lesser role than I am currently in, below people who are currently doing the same job as me.... I know what my response would be....

The money thing could work for both clubs - Tigers offload some of their inflated salary cap and the Dragons get a player at a reduced price. But work for Mbye??

I don't see it personally but thats just my opinion. Marshall would fit the mould of the speculated logic far better than Mbye for mine in a number of ways.
Fair enough bbjf
Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

BLM01

First Grade
cody walker is an exceptional footballer

for me no comparison to Mbye

But we need to cover hooker and or half while our young halves mature as buddy looks a fair way off just now

between Mbye and Amone I think we can cover bench hooker / 5/8 etc
Agree not comparing him
But when Cody was 26 / 27 we did not know how good he could be then
Souths struggled slightly after their premiership from about 2016 till Seibold took them back to the Gf QUAL in 2018. Ask Mary about that year

Latest posts