What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moses Mbye

thebigredv

First Grade
Mbye is a great club man, he loves the fans, a great human being with little kids.

Hes been angling to get out of wt since he was stripped of the captaincy following a few miserable years and the arrival of “17 minutes” Tamou.

He got to play at 5/8 earlier in the year during an experimental period. The whole side played better for a couple of games and then back to merkinhood. Madge then gave him several more weeks than he should have but he failed to ignite. So he was unceremoniously dumped from a key spot. Doogie stepped back in and is a much better player at much less cost. He is soo in waiting.

We played hard ball with him this season contractually because he is so expensive and kept him anxious right up until last week or so to try to minimise our loss.

He is a good utility and he can tackle which is really helpful but I also like to think he has plenty of improvement left in him that Madge wasn’t able to bring out in him. Shame really.

He will be very keen to start again and have a go. He’s not a retiree or anything. He might take to Hook and relish the fresh atmosphere.

Hes 28 and still quite powerful.

Appreciate the insight I really do. It's unanimous, he is a great ambassador, spokesperson and human being.

People bemoaning the fact Eels are missing a game breaker though...what about us? Amone has a 5 min purple patch and we all get aroused because of how badly we have been deprived of X factor for so long.

I hope I don't come off as harsh but I am adamant he doesn't fit the team we are right now. We are like the Tigers and I don't see him turning matches and influencing games hugely. It's like signing Marshall over again when we should be leaving space for a Manu or a B Smith or the next Burton/Hynes to come along. We seal our fate by the calibre of our signing, we really do.

Anyway it's going to go ahead despite my whinging and when he gets here I will cheer him on all the same.

Last edited:
Appreciate the insight I really do. It's unanimous, he is a great ambassador, spokesperson and human being.

People bemoaning the fact Eels are missing a game breaker though...what about us? Amone has a 5 min purple patch and we all get aroused because of how badly we have been deprived of X factor for so long.

I hope I don't come off as harsh but I am adamant he doesn't fit the club we are right now. We are like the Tigers and I don't see him turning matches and influencing games hugely. It's like signing Marshall over again when we should be leaving space for a Manu or a B Smith or the next Burton/Hynes to come along. We seal our fate by the calibre of our signing, we really do.

Anyway it's going to go ahead despite my whinging and when he gets here I will cheer him on all the same.
I understand completely.

Mbye put out a press release last week stating that he felt bad we were paying him $800k when he was on the bench, but we now know, that this was released -when he was in the thick of negotiations ( a few crocodile tears lol) playing one club off against the other. The same release said he’d be happy to hang about (lol).

Before that, Hook had said that the offer had been made and he wasn’t for turning.

I think both clubs had a limit and my gut feeling is I think he’s taken a bit of a bath to move on.

Theres a lot more player turnover these days, fruit is falling off the branches more often. We are playing it very patiently. A bit dangerous given the pressure, but that’s recruitment by committee! Our coach is the last person we worry about. When he starts improving more than 5 players out of 30, we will pay more attention. I’d much prefer Hook. I ranked him my third choice coach.

Dufty off the radar is interesting from an outsiders viewpoint. But I’m not sure of the club inner business with him. Sgi junior, a big fester guy wasn’t he?!

Last edited:
Just an unconfirmed “insider report” we are contributing $390k -source is on our wt forum second hand ( lol-that’s the best I can do!)

So you add what you blokes are paying him and that’s his rumoured salary.

Id guess to say you are forking out $300 max, and he’s copping the bath for his $150 plus (ie Ivan Cleary) godsend.

I would have braked at $300 from a wt view, but a bit overs is ok as we still have some cash in the kitty.

At $300 that’s about right for sgi. Maybe up to $400 but the wallet is a bit dusty after that, unless one of those swimming pigs in Bermuda wants to make him do the sport on win tv.

Last edited:

thebigredv

First Grade
I understand completely.

Mbye put out a press release last week stating that he felt bad we were paying him $800k when he was on the bench

If only our favourite five-eight were so contrite...

As for Dufty. His departure only makes sense with the inclusion of similarly speedy replacement. Still waiting on that one. He lets in twice as many tries as he scores so its not a huge surprise.

BBTB

Juniors
Lawrie definitely 1st grade material, needs quality around him though. We were dominating until he went off. We just have a terrible clunky slow backline. Imagine having Addo Carr outside Lomax. We have no one besides maybe Dufty/Sloan/Ramsey that could go 100 and we play none of them. Feagai did nothing really, not his fault though nor is it Ramsey’s when he was there getting no ball.
Agree, once Norman is given his marching orders & Sloan
becomes our permanent f/b,
(Next week) Amone to 5/8.
Bird back to centre,Ramsey &
Rava,on the Wings. Lomax &
Hunt. I think the backs will do OK.

St Tangles

Bench
Mbye is a great club man, he loves the fans, a great human being with little kids.

Hes been angling to get out of wt since he was stripped of the captaincy following a few miserable years and the arrival of “17 minutes” Tamou.

He got to play at 5/8 earlier in the year during an experimental period. The whole side played better for a couple of games and then back to drunken merkinhood. Madge then gave him several more weeks than he should have… but Moses failed to ignite. So he was unceremoniously dumped from the key spot. Doogie stepped back in and is a much better player at much less cost. He is soo in waiting.

We played hard ball with him this season contractually because he is so expensive and kept him anxious right up until last week or so to try to minimise our loss.

He is a good utility and he can tackle ( shock horror these days!) which is really helpful but I also like to think he has plenty of improvement left in him that Madge wasn’t able to bring out in him. Shame really.

He will be very keen to start again and have a go. He’s not a retiree or anything. He might take to Hook and relish the fresh atmosphere.

Hes 28 and still quite powerful.
Hope so

And if used at 14 and to cover injury I'm starting to warm to it

But if Mybe slots into the 1 or 6 to start the season ahead of Sloabe or Amone then it's a different feeling

Coffs dragon

Bench
IMO Mbye should be our permanent No.9 in 2022
McCullough is like a tortoise & offers zero zip in attack.
Moses is quick, creative and a decent defender.
I wouldn’t waste him on the bench as we desperately need an injection of speed plus the young blokes deserve their chance next year.
Damian Cook adapted well from FB to a lightning quick dummy half. I tend to recall Hasler using Moses at hooker for the Dogs in the past. He’s a 9 for me!

BBTB

Juniors
I wouldn’t waste him on the bench as we desperately need an injection of speed plus the young blokes deserve their chance next year.
Damian Cook adapted well from FB to a lightning quick dummy half. I tend to recall Hasler using Moses at hooker for the Dogs in the past. He’s a 9 for me!
Agree,Amone at 5/8.😊

thebigredv

First Grade

This 100%

Illusion

Bench
The way Hook picks positions he will have Bird at 9 and Mbye in the front row ......

Dragon David

First Grade
I'm thinking you are right Coffs. I'm also thinking that Macca should do a Merrin.

I think you paid about the right price, ie less than half his current (albeit overblown) market value.

He has a tackling efficiency of 92% this year and you factor in that he has achieved this in a variety of different positions with different challenges, that’s why Hook likes him.

He almost never gets injured, he’s played 19 games this year. So he’s pretty robust and so far as we know, no defcon 4 injury in the shadows waiting to re-emerge out of nowhere.

Although, every player is carrying an injury of some kind.

And he’s a solid utility, he can play most positions hooker or backline, fb. And no crying or carrying on “ woe is f**king me” publically anyway. His attitude is massive. Happy to play off the bench if required, then has an impact.

I’ve had a positive interaction with him once. When Benji was going through one of his billion after game testimonials, he ignored us fans.

Not Mbye, he came over to us putrid filth to say hi and give selfies. He thanked everyone and was grateful for our praise. Shook hands and High Fiving -Chris Lawrence as well. That meant a lot to those of us in the cold- waiting in vain for a benji who never came.

Moses will do the same for you, very positive happy guy. Brightens up the club.

A “prudent purchase” as they say.

Last edited:

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I haven't been watching Mbye closely in recent times so have no axe to grind- probably just sorry for him and his fellow Wests Tigers players to be coached by a guy whose only coaching strategy seems to be increasing his volume of F bombs. Oh to return to the days of "Gentleman" Ted Glossop.

However, I did scrutinise him pretty closely in attack yesterday and, for mine, he is not a starting backline spine player. In particular, his judgement on when to pass and when to run is not good and he throws quite a few "hospital" passes. At best a No 9 and even then, not sure if I'd start him.

Latest posts