What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tariq Sims

Old Timer

Coach
f**k dragons fans are the dumbest merkins

Not everyone.

I for one have him well and truly in the Constable Plod category.

Have watched a lot of Newcastle games and he did absolutely SFA.

Interesting that if he had of got the deal he wanted, he would have still been a Knight so it was never about new green pastures.

He might have taken a cut but upgraded in the number of years so short term pain for a longer term gain.

Anyway I didn't have roast chicken tonight but might put you on the menu for later.

Mr Red

First Grade
because the knights didnt offer him the contract he wanted.

Guys this is true.
I'm based in Newcastle and it was well documented (well at least in the media, read into that what you will) that the Knights were offering Sims a heavily reduced salary for his contract negotiations.
This was based on his lack of form presumably.
Sims first choice was to stay in Newcastle however he didn't want to accept the reduced contract so he signed with the dragons who presumably paid him what he wanted, or at least closer to the mark...
At that point Brown made the decision to remove him from the lineup and get someone into the team who will be part of the future. They're already going to get the spoon with or without sims, so good call from browny to give another player first grade experience.

Dragsters

First Grade
Fair enough but it did not look that way from the outside and having some knob from the knight wishing he would break an ankle then abusing dragon fans on our forum, can't help but get defensive and retaliate.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Fair enough but it did not look that way from the outside and having some knob from the knight wishing he would break an ankle then abusing dragon fans on our forum, can't help but get defensive and retaliate.

Shouldn't feed the troll at all. You gave him exactly what he wants. He just feels the need to try and make someone else feel bad due to them likely to get their 2nd consecutive wooden spoon.

As for Tariq, we don't need him to do what the Knights needed of him. He is coming in to replace the fringe 1st graders we have like Marketo. If Mary uses him right as more of an impact player, then he will be a good signing for us.

Dragsters

First Grade
Shouldn't feed the troll at all. You gave him exactly what he wants. He just feels the need to try and make someone else feel bad due to them likely to get their 2nd consecutive wooden spoon.

Oh I didn't feel bad at all.

Just gave him the smackdown a spanner like him deserved.

Not really in my nature but I quite enjoyed it actually.

Mr Red

First Grade

As for Tariq, we don't need him to do what the Knights needed of him. He is coming in to replace the fringe 1st graders we have like Marketo. If Mary uses him right as more of an impact player, then he will be a good signing for us.

Agree with this.
If he's to replace some one like marketo or an aging injury hit Creagh then its definitely an improvement. However if it's to replace Thompson then it's a step backwards..

getsmarty

Immortal
Sims: Ready For New Chapter

Fri 17th June, 11:00AM A A

St George Illawarra Dragons second-rower Tariq Sims is excited by the new chapter in his playing career following his arrival on Thursday.
The local Gerringong Lions junior, who can play up front and in the second-row, has joined from the Newcastle Knights and could possibly make his club debut against the Melbourne Storm at WIN Stadium, Wollongong on Saturday.

Sims, 26, had previously agreed to a three-year contract which would have seen him join the Club next season prior to being granted a release from the Knights.
The former Junior Kangaroo has played 98 NRL games in addition to representing both the Fiji Bati and NSW Country Origin team (2012-16) on five occasions each.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/06/17/sims_ready_for_new_c.html

Cagey Mac

Bench
Agree with this.
If he's to replace some one like marketo or an aging injury hit Creagh then its definitely an improvement. However if it's to replace Thompson then it's a step backwards..

I'd rate Sims more highly Red but not by much.

It seems like every day is April Fools day this season... or you hope it is...

Can somebody tell/demand Anthony Griffin, Bob Millward, and whoever else had advised this to look for other contracts as well....

Possibly making space to sign 2 more "value" players AKA plodders...

>>

St George Illawarra's Tariq Sims has been told by the Dragons that he is free to speak to other clubs after contract negotiations with the club took an unexpected turn.

kit66

Bench
It seems like every day is April Fools day this season... or you hope it is...

Can somebody tell/demand Anthony Griffin, Bob Millward, and whoever else had advised this to look for other contracts as well....

Possibly making space to sign 2 more "value" players AKA plodders...

>>

St George Illawarra's Tariq Sims has been told by the Dragons that he is free to speak to other clubs after contract negotiations with the club took an unexpected turn.

Da f*ck is going on ? We need qulity forward so bad and they let Sims walk out the door with all his experience and courage. da f*ck ?

Da f*ck is going on ? We need qulity forward so bad and they let Sims walk out the door with all his experience and courage. da f*ck ?

I'll be upfront ..

I've not watched a Dragons game since the win v Broncos. SOO 3 was the last league game I've watched this year - although decided to have a look tonight at Panthers Eels..

That said..

The games I did see - the first half of the season - Tariq Sims "was back". Played busted last year but he was an absolute presence in most, if not all, games. He dead set earned a spot in the Blues team - and was close to MOTM in the first 2.. played out of his skin...

So what has happened since then... that has "warranted" this call by the club to let him seek other options...

Some players have a bad attitude, cancerous - Sims is not that...
Some players are just too old and off the pace in their twilight years - Sims is not that.. SOO is proof..
Some players just aren't worth the value of their contract.. That's debatable.. But at the back end of someones career they may play for less... is it about money with Sims? It would appear not...

Sims is an absolute impact player to me. A weapon. How can someone who absolutely stood out at such a high level (SOO) not be worthy of keeping at the club....

I don't think he's off the pace but if he is - you play him less minutes... Much like Mitchell Johnson in the 2013 ashes...He may not be the long distance player he was so play in furious bursts..

FFS wasn't he made captain recently?

If indeed this is true - Unless they are freeing up money to lure an absolute superstar to the club (there's more chance of me landing on the moon that that right now) then I'm abhorred by the call. More likely they are looking to sign more plodders who are so grateful for a chance they'll respect Griffin for helping them - thus he "keeps the room".

Club has lost the plot