What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Kilkenny

Coach
As it stands now isn’t Kikau earning $700k.

Kikau is the only truly big body in our forward pack the rest are all in the 100-110kg mark. Take Kikau out and Moses is probably the next biggest at around 108kg. I think we need a big unit like Kikau and if we can keep him for 800k or so then we would be crazy not to keep him. I wouldn’t pay $1 million but I think he would stay for around $800k.

He is at the age now where he is probably going to be at his best over the next 3-4 seasons.

He has quiet games no doubt, but I don’t think we can afford to lose him, he offers something we don’t otherwise have. You can see what TPJ brings at 117 kg similar in overall weight to Kikau, we need at least one big mobile forward so we should be doing our utmost to keep him.

Kilkenny

Coach
At the end of the day we can replace Luke Capewell with like or like. We currently have players who are the same size and can do the same job.

We don’t have anyone within our ranks who can do what Kikau does and offers.

If our cap is that tight and we need to find cash I’d be looking elsewhere because we can find suitable like for like replacements in other positions. Fullback is one example and I am a Dylan fan, but he is easier to replace than Kikau.

I still think theres good footy in bj.

You dont just lose ability.

I just dont think he ever bought into what madge was about and hes struggled there like virtually every player under madge. Look at tamou. Wss in career bewt form at penrith and turned to shit under madge.

You dont play 225 nrl games and score almost 100 tries without being a good footy player.

I know its a risk but for minimum coin i think the reward is huge if he can get back to where he wws at canberra in 2019 etc.
He might do well in the pack with ball in hand, but he would be found out very quickly in defence.

At the end of the day we can replace Luke Capewell with like or like. We currently have players who are the same size and can do the same job.

We don’t have anyone within our ranks who can do what Kikau does and offers.

If our cap is that tight and we need to find cash I’d be looking elsewhere because we can find suitable like for like replacements in other positions. Fullback is one example and I am a Dylan fan, but he is easier to replace than Kikau.
I would like to keep Kiks as well. Makes that whole left side more effective.

TheRiff

Juniors
As it stands now isn’t Kikau earning $700k.

Kikau is the only truly big body in our forward pack the rest are all in the 100-110kg mark. Take Kikau out and Moses is probably the next biggest at around 108kg. I think we need a big unit like Kikau and if we can keep him for 800k or so then we would be crazy not to keep him. I wouldn’t pay $1 million but I think he would stay for around $800k.

He is at the age now where he is probably going to be at his best over the next 3-4 seasons.

He has quiet games no doubt, but I don’t think we can afford to lose him, he offers something we don’t otherwise have. You can see what TPJ brings at 117 kg similar in overall weight to Kikau, we need at least one big mobile forward so we should be doing our utmost to keep him.

All great in theory, Who replaces Api then? We can't pay extra or we lose Api and a Hooker is more important than a backrower

Girds89

Bench
He might do well in the pack with ball in hand, but he would be found out very quickly in defence.
With kiks and martin both capable of playing big minutes i think youd only need him for a 20min period.

I agree its a risk. But i think if the price is right it has plenty of upsides.

soc123_au

Staff member
I still think theres good footy in bj.

You dont just lose ability.

I just dont think he ever bought into what madge was about and hes struggled there like virtually every player under madge. Look at tamou. Wss in career bewt form at penrith and turned to shit under madge.

You dont play 225 nrl games and score almost 100 tries without being a good footy player.

I know its a risk but for minimum coin i think the reward is huge if he can get back to where he wws at canberra in 2019 etc.
I love a good BJ as much as anyone, but the BJ you speak of isnt the good kind. No brain and lazy as f**k. I cant see him developing the defensive attitude required at this stage of his career.

John Hamblin

Juniors
I love a good BJ as much as anyone, but the BJ you speak of isnt the good kind. No brain and lazy as f**k. I cant see him developing the defensive attitude required at this stage of his career.

He has always had issues BUT and I mean BUT if you could get him cheap and put in our system where he doesn't have to be a star every week he could do a job for 15/20 minutes off the bench as middle. Worth some thought???

Kilkenny

Coach
All great in theory, Who replaces Api then? We can't pay extra or we lose Api and a Hooker is more important than a backrower
It’s not theory, it’s fact.

In respect of Api he will be almost 30 by the time he comes of contract at the end of next season so perhaps our forward planning should be looking towards replacing him.

Reactions: Bob

TheRiff

Juniors
It’s not theory, it’s fact.

In respect of Api he will be almost 30 by the time he comes of contract at the end of next season so perhaps our forward planning should be looking towards replacing him.

I am talking about the extra $100k to keep him, means someone goes. Ryley Smith is the forward plan, Very unlikely he is ready for 2023. As such a 2 year deal for Api is the only signing that is a must.

People on here rate Martin on the edge, If so he and Tago the 2nd rowers. Sorensen off the bench then Kikau isn't a key re-signing, He would be nice but key players elsewhere need re-signing

Kilkenny

Coach
He has always had issues BUT and I mean BUT if you could get him cheap and put in our system where he doesn't have to be a star every week he could do a job for 15/20 minutes off the bench as middle. Worth some thought???
Bringing in a 30 year old player past his best is only blocking the path of Lindsay Smith and the other kids we have resigned in recent times. I agree we certainly need to fill our roster with one or two minimum cost signings but they should be younger players on the up not older players whose best years are behind them.

soc123_au

Staff member
If it happened I wouldn't be heading down to the club with a torch and pitchfork, but it's not where I would spend the money. To start with I think he would value himself a fair bit higher than 200k and I just dont think he has the mental fortitude required in a good defensive structure week in week out. If he fancies himself in the pigs a club like the Dogs are more likely to pay overs on the punt he works out.

I quite like his brother as an attacking player, but he is also very lazy on the other side of the ball. Good for the odd big hit, but very good at leaving a hole to exploit as well.

Kilkenny

Coach
I am talking about the extra $100k to keep him, means someone goes. Ryley Smith is the forward plan, Very unlikely he is ready for 2023. As such a 2 year deal for Api is the only signing that is a must.

People on here rate Martin on the edge, If so he and Tago the 2nd rowers. Sorensen off the bench then Kikau isn't a key re-signing, He would be nice but key players elsewhere need re-signing
Be careful what you wish for. Martin, Tago, Sorensen are all tipping the scales at 100kgs.

Tago is not a like for like replacement for Kikau. If he bulks up as he surely will he may eventually tip the scales at 100kgs but he simply won’t ever be able to do what Kikau does. He may be more elusive, may even be quicker off the mark but just not devastating which is what Kikau can deliver.

I’m sure our retention and recruitment power brokers are all over it and they are in the best position to judge who stays and who goes. If Kikau gets the million dollar offer and leaves for the big bucks then the situation is taken out of our hands anyway. Personally, I can’t see there being too many clubs having the cap space to offer significantly more than we can offer him but time will tell.

Be careful what you wish for. Martin, Tago, Sorensen are all tipping the scales at 100kgs.

Tago is not a like for like replacement for Kikau. If he bulks up as he surely will he may eventually tip the scales at 100kgs but he simply won’t ever be able to do what Kikau does. He may be more elusive, may even be quicker off the mark but just not devastating which is what Kikau can deliver.

I’m sure our retention and recruitment power brokers are all over it and they are in the best position to judge who stays and who goes. If Kikau gets the million dollar offer and leaves for the big bucks then the situation is taken out of our hands anyway. Personally, I can’t see there being too many clubs having the cap space to offer significantly more than we can offer him but time will tell.
If Kiks goes to the Saints, Hook’s track record would suggest 85.4% of all attacking plays will be ‘pass the ball to the big guy on the left’.

You could easily see them paying 15-20% of their cap on him; they won’t really need other players…

TheRiff

Juniors

Briton Nikora at the Sharks is an International backrower at 94kg, Cam Murray is about the same and did the job in SOO. The reality is though we have lost the last 2 seasons of lower grades.

This has cost us the opportunity to look properly at fringe players, not just here but at other clubs. Eventually the salary cap breaks up all successful clubs.

We have locked in long term:

Best halfback in the game
Origin 5/8 - Certainly in the top couple in the position
Best lock in the game
Best prop in the game
Best winger in the game
Staines, Crichton and Leinu all 21 and developing nicely.

So that is a good core sorted there, Can fill around with journeymen and kids

Kilkenny

Coach
Briton Nikora at the Sharks is an International backrower at 94kg, Cam Murray is about the same and did the job in SOO. The reality is though we have lost the last 2 seasons of lower grades.

This has cost us the opportunity to look properly at fringe players, not just here but at other clubs. Eventually the salary cap breaks up all successful clubs.

We have locked in long term:

Best halfback in the game
Origin 5/8 - Certainly in the top couple in the position
Best lock in the game
Best prop in the game
Best winger in the game
Staines, Crichton and Leinu all 21 and developing nicely.

So that is a good core sorted there, Can fill around with journeymen and kids
We currently have supposedly the best running back rower in the game. Are we inclined to jeopardise losing him for a 100k and instead rely on journeyman and kids. Not sure that is a solid retention strategic plan going forward.

Panther79

Juniors
Yup, not all BJ's are good...can't believe some think we should sign this clown. No discipline, unfit, doesn't work hard and doesn't appear to care. Can't be bothered getting fit again so just says hey, I'll be a front rower... Not even fit enough to hang out wide in the centres yet is supposed to secure the middle as a prop...

Not worth the chance, not even close and we are not the Tigers or Bulldogs. We don't need to take chances on trash like BJ and Tigers cast offs, we are a top club had should/do have much better options.

TheRiff

Juniors
We currently have supposedly the best running back rower in the game. Are we inclined to jeopardise losing him for a 100k and instead rely on journeyman and kids. Not sure that is a solid retention strategic plan going forward.

Who has won the comp on the back of a running backrower?
It isn't the $100k, It is $800k that can be used elsewhere.
Example being To'o and Martin re-signed before they were Origin reps, $800k gives both those guys a nice upgrade.
So it is overall health of the salary Cap that is important in these decisions

Original Name

Juniors
TPJ hasnt exactly been a saint in his career.

Was it last year he got fined massivley for multiple covid breaches putting the game at risk? Including going to hang out with his bikie mates...

BJ does some dumb stuff on the footy field but i tend to think hed fit in well with all our samoan boys here and i reckon under ivan itd be worth giving him a crack for cheap or even better if the tigers will foot some of the bill.

At his best he is extremley difficult to handle and has a good offload. He can score a try and has a lot of experience.

Could be worth a shot for 1-2 seasons until Geyer comes through.
Seen some accounts of fans about BJ as a person that don't put him a good light as a person. It's a no from me.
Who has won the comp on the back of a running backrower?
It isn't the $100k, It is $800k that can be used elsewhere.
Example being To'o and Martin re-signed before they were Origin reps, $800k gives both those guys a nice upgrade.
So it is overall health of the salary Cap that is important in these decisions
Roosters? Roosters finish defending a set from the Raiders after a long time on their line. They're all exhausted but Boyd Cordener takes a one hit up and finds his front. Off the back of Latrell flick passes and that line break that Teddy scores off wins them the gf against Raiders.