What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

eels_fan

First Grade
The next 2-3 months will go a big way to deciding our 2022 fortunes. We cant keep everyone off contract at the end of 22, so early releases could also be on the agenda.

lucablight

First Grade
What evidence supports that argument? All the current rep players? All the players who performed better in previous seasons? What about our roster puts us higher than sixth? I think you're overrating our players.

I tipped us to finish seventh, but the emergence of Reed Mahoney as a new attacking option certainly boosted us. Unfortunately he wasn't the same after round 13 and neither was our attack.
You really think our roster should have finished below the injury ravaged Roosters? If you want evidence take a look at our best performances over the last 2 seasons. We’re one of the few teams who have beaten Melbourne twice this season and the only team to beat Penrith last season. Our forwards beat the highly rated Panthers forwards tonight and took them down to the wire. We could have easily won that if we had a genuine hooker. How many other teams can say they’ve done that? Our lack of rep players is because we are underperforming on the field.

lucablight

First Grade
Whoever is responsible for allowing us to pack the most playing talent under the salary cap. This is generally the job of recruitment/retention and development staff, though the money spent on hiring these people comes from higher up.

And yet Maguire 'improved' Souths enough to win the comp in his third year at the club. If he could do it there why couldn't he do it at the Tigers? You're conflating the head coach with all of the people behind the scenes who make strong clubs strong.
Just because he did it at Souths doesn’t mean there are any guarantees he would do it at the Tigers.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
already produced a GF birth
giphy.gif

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You really think our roster should have finished below the injury ravaged Roosters?
Them overachieving is out of our hands. The position we should've finished is relative to the entire competition, not just one team. But we have overachieved as well. Last year we finished ahead of the Roosters despite our points differential being less than half theirs. We had the sixth best for-and-against last year as well, which is where we should've finished. And after week two of the finals it's where we did finish.

This year we again had the sixth best differential and we finished where we deserved to. As for the Roosters, at full strength they probably would've challenged the Panthers for second spot. They're a very wealthy club that always spends a lot on junior recruitment. Defections and retirements never seem to slow them down. Injuries don't either.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Just because he did it at Souths doesn’t mean there are any guarantees he would do it at the Tigers.
Exactly my point. It's much easier for coaches to succeed at some clubs than others. Ricky Stuart and Michael Maguire won premierships at strong clubs. At second rate clubs they looked second rate. Massive coincidence.

lucablight

First Grade
S
Them overachieving is out of our hands. The position we should've finished is relative to the entire competition, not just one team. But we have overachieved as well. Last year we finished ahead of the Roosters despite our points differential being less than half theirs. We had the sixth best for-and-against last year as well, which is where we should've finished. And after week two of the finals it's where we did finish.

This year we again had the sixth best differential and we finished where we deserved to. As for the Roosters, at full strength they probably would've challenged the Panthers for second spot. They're a very wealthy club that always spends a lot on junior recruitment. Defections and retirements never seem to slow them down. Injuries don't either.
Statistically speaking we made more post contact metres than any other side and second to the Panthers in overall metres. That suggests to me that we win the yardage battle against most teams. If you’re winning the forward battle you should be winning most games. How is sixth position “overachieving” for one of the best packs in the competition? Our overall Roster is very good. We have Moses, Mahoney and Gutherson who are all fringe origin players. We have genuine attacking weapons in the backs in Ferguson, Blake and Penisini. Where exactly do you think we are lacking? Our attack should be much better relative to how much we dominate field position.

lucablight

First Grade
Exactly my point. It's much easier for coaches to succeed at some clubs than others. Ricky Stuart and Michael Maguire won premierships at strong clubs. At second rate clubs they looked second rate. Massive coincidence.
Just because it’s harder to succeed at some clubs doesn’t mean you get a free pass if you don’t.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
S

Statistically speaking we made more post contact metres than any other side and second to the Panthers in overall metres. That suggests to me that we win the yardage battle against most teams. If you’re winning the forward battle you should be winning most games. How is sixth position “overachieving” for one of the best packs in the competition? Our overall Roster is very good. We have Moses, Mahoney and Gutherson who are all fringe origin players. We have genuine attacking weapons in the backs in Ferguson, Blake and Penisini. Where exactly do you think we are lacking? Our attack should be much better relative to how much we dominate field position.
Simplistic analysis. Every team has strengths and you've illustrated ours. We attack well in the middle. We also kick well. But we have some glaring weaknesses, particularly our ability to defend speed and footwork through the middle. We also still have a relatively inexperienced spine, though we are certainly 'improving' there each year. Because they are playing more games.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Just because it’s harder to succeed at some clubs doesn’t mean you get a free pass if you don’t.
What it means is that success should be measured differently at different clubs. The talking heads on Fox said we should consider 2021 a successful season, though I bet they wouldn't say the same about the Chooks. If Souths lose next week they won't be thinking it was a successful year either. It's all relative.

lucablight

First Grade
Simplistic analysis. Every team has strengths and you've illustrated ours. We attack well in the middle. We also kick well. But we have some glaring weaknesses, particularly our ability to defend speed and footwork through the middle. We also still have a relatively inexperienced spine, though we are certainly 'improving' there each year. Because they are playing more games.
I don’t see what getting troubled by footwork and speed has to do with not taking advantage of field position by converting it into points. In saying that I don’t know of any team that wouldn’t struggle against good footwork and speed. I think Moses and Gutherson have enough experience to be challenging for titles. They’re amongst the top echelon of players in the game. I don’t see how you can just hand wave away our forwards dominance as not being an important factor in how good we should be going. Forward dominance is one of the most crucial aspects to a teams success. It wasn’t a fluke that we beat the top teams when we played our best.

lucablight

First Grade
What it means is that success should be measured differently at different clubs. The talking heads on Fox said we should consider 2021 a successful season, though I bet they wouldn't say the same about the Chooks. If Souths lose next week they won't be thinking it was a successful year either. It's all relative.
Success is measured differently because it’s relative to expectations. The expectations of this side were lowered because of the collapse near the end of the season. If we had finished top 4 then a straight sets exit would have been considered a failure. The Panthers are considered an elite side so pundits are more forgiving of us losing since we took them down to the wire. If Souths had gone out in straight sets I think they would have been cut some slack as well because of Latrell being out. Now that they’re playing Manly instead of Melbourne/Penrith of course expectations will be higher to make the grand final. The Roosters had an incredibly successful season with the amount of injuries they sustained. I don’t know what you mean by they wouldn’t say the same for the chooks. I think your expectations were far too low considering the roster we had this season. Our forward pack alone makes us better than most teams and we were capable of beating the top sides on a good day as we demonstrated repeatedly.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
The next 2-3 months will go a big way to deciding our 2022 fortunes. We cant keep everyone off contract at the end of 22, so early releases could also be on the agenda.
Why wouId we release any one? We didn’t release Stefo last year so doubt we will release anyone unless it benefits us.

oldmancraigy

Coach
His passing is atrocious from dummy half

How is his picking up of the ball after it gets played?

Poor Stone. I like how they generously described him as 3rd choice hooker. More like 5th (Mahoney, Lussick, Roache, Smith, Stone?), and not even that. Hopefully he spends the off-season in at dummy half, and is the starter for Wenty next year at 9. It is his best chance to be a first grader, but he needs a lot of game time to see how his passing goes, and whether he learns to run it

HAHAHAHHAHAHA another Poupoo manifesto. You’re crazy rants are so funny

yy_cheng

Coach
How is his picking up of the ball after it gets played?

Poor Stone. I like how they generously described him as 3rd choice hooker. More like 5th (Mahoney, Lussick, Roache, Smith, Stone?), and not even that. Hopefully he spends the off-season in at dummy half, and is the starter for Wenty next year at 9. It is his best chance to be a first grader, but he needs a lot of game time to see how his passing goes, and whether he learns to run it
I'm commenting on Bryce being hooker.

Avenger

Immortal
You can only release players that are desirable for other clubs. Most will say Shaun Lane. But what would he be on? $350k? He’s good value on that coin. Matterson is the one I’d be looking at offloading. Marata is better than him.

Latest posts