What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

yy_cheng

Coach
I love Marata Niukore, and want him to stay - but I can't fathom how he's a better player than Matterson.

Matterson came back after a lay-off last night, and showed his class.

Marata's aggression is awesome, but if he doesn't dial it down, he will spend more time off the field, than on it...
Marata is one of my favourites... goes so hard and gives it his all... I love his lines that he runs and he sticks in defense.

Matto seems to pace himself. But I would like to see Matto take on Nrowns role next year and Nrown can be a middle off the bench

Eelementary

Post Whore
Lane ahead of Matto also in any way shape or form is one for Ripleys. Lane is a soft merkin who you know is going to let you down in the back end. That soft AF head hair angered we a great deal.

I like Lane - he is quick, has a good offload, and usually defends well - but I agree.

He makes some silly errors, and makes some lazy plays.

He needs to come off the bench.

I think a back row of

11. Matterson
12. Niukore (if we retain him)
13. Brown

Is pretty damn good.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Marata is one of my favourites... goes so hard and gives it his all... I love his lines that he runs and he sticks in defense.

Matto seems to pace himself. But I would like to see Matto take on Nrowns role next year and Nrown can be a middle off the bench

Matterson doesn't have the kamikaze style that Niukore does, but you can depend on Matterson to defend exceptionally well over 80 minutes.

Marata can sometimes go for the aggressive option, when it's not always on the table.

emjaycee

Coach
I wouldn’t consider Cleary to be an X factor player. He’s more of a consistent player who can lead a team around the park rather than conjure up a match winning play from nothing. I’d consider Moses to have more X factor than Cleary.
I love Moses and think he is really maturing in his game management, but when I think x-factor, I kind of think it is a player that the opposition hang back from, the kind of player who gets the ball and the defence start to wonder "shit, what is he going to do???" - it puts doubt in their mind which then allows something to happen.
Moses doesn't do that unfortunately.

yy_cheng

Coach
Matterson doesn't have the kamikaze style that Niukore does, but you can depend on Matterson to defend exceptionally well over 80 minutes.

Marata can sometimes go for the aggressive option, when it's not always on the table.
Though sometimes that aggression is what causes the player to drop the ball or not even run at his side

emjaycee

Coach
It's being reported that the Dogs have put in a massive offer for Munster. That's how you get an X Factor.
And the Dogs can do that without losing someone of quality because of the low base they started with. We would need to let go of Drown, Moses or Gutho to do the same.
In the clubs defence, they went very, very, very hard for Staggs. As far as centres go, he is an x-factor player and at least we recognise we need one.

TheRam

Coach
Them overachieving is out of our hands. The position we should've finished is relative to the entire competition, not just one team. But we have overachieved as well. Last year we finished ahead of the Roosters despite our points differential being less than half theirs. We had the sixth best for-and-against last year as well, which is where we should've finished. And after week two of the finals it's where we did finish.

This year we again had the sixth best differential and we finished where we deserved to. As for the Roosters, at full strength they probably would've challenged the Panthers for second spot. They're a very wealthy club that always spends a lot on junior recruitment. Defections and retirements never seem to slow them down. Injuries don't either.

I think your expectations need to be readjusted young man. You have a very bad Parramattatitude and it is shaming you.

You need to stiffen up son and get some steel in you spine. Learn to walk tall and be confident. Your pathetic loser approach to life is getting everyone down boy. Remember your Parramattatitude determines your direction. So put on your positive pants and say 3 times after me...

Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.

And if that fails then say this whenever you happen to think.

Lord keep your arms around my shoulders and your hands over my mouth.

TheRam

Coach
Nathan Brown’s regression is the most alarming thing and despite him only just being re-signed I’d consider tapping him on the shoulder whilst he is still valuable.

Unfortunately, I can't tell if his ordinary form is his own doing or the way we coach and play him. That forth tackle hitup is beyond ridiculous now. So to be on the safe side I think you are right and we should look at moving him on now.

lucablight

First Grade
I love Moses and think he is really maturing in his game management, but when I think x-factor, I kind of think it is a player that the opposition hang back from, the kind of player who gets the ball and the defence start to wonder "shit, what is he going to do???" - it puts doubt in their mind which then allows something to happen.
Moses doesn't do that unfortunately.
I don’t think Penrith have that style of player either.

TheRam

Coach
Where do we get that X factor player from??? Who do we give up to get that player??? Guth??? With guys like Dunster and Will P stepping up that does save us a little money out wide. I still believe D Brown could be that X factor player i think i'm flicking my bean probably.

Xavier Savage in my opinion could become that X factor player. I really think we blew it earlier on this season when Savage was being offered to a couple of clubs that we didn't jump in and nab him.

Sure it is a little bit of a gamble considering that he hasn't even played a handful of NRL games as yet, but boy has he got potential.

I wonder if we let someone like N. Brown go to the Raiders and we asked for Savage in a player swap, how that would be received by all parties? Hell I would even throw in Sivo to sweeten the pot even further.

TheRam

Coach
Ponga is not worth the cash, what's he on over 1m??? Great attacking player but doesn't like the tough stuff and is average in defence. Who else is out there worth chasing that will make the difference???
That can only happen if some fan favourites are let go and we go for the jugular in the recruitment market.
Ponga has a an option for 2023. He is the only X Factor realistically available.

Xavier Savage. He has the potential to be the next Papenhuyzen or JAC at the very least.

Also see my previous post as to how we might be able to make it happen for next season.

But I think we need to get him this offseason, otherwise if he is as good as I think he will be, there is no way that the Raiders would let him go in a season or two and his price would be way to high to justify at that point.

Last edited:

Latest posts