What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 starting 17? and BAs tenure

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Yes, but my point is that we won't be playing any Finals between now and when Origin is on, so what will we learn more between now and then that we don't already know?

There is nothing really in the positive that can occur between today and Origin, that would change what we already know.
What if we beat every team 100-0 and all of our players were picked for Origin?

Eelementary

Post Whore
Why not !

1. Gutherson
2. Dunster
3. Penisini
4. Blake
5. ?? Perham (assuming Sivo is injured and Fergo chases $ in Japanese rugby?)
6. D Brown
7. Moses

8. Campbell-Gillard
9. Mahoney
10. Paulo
11. Nuikore
12. Papali'i
13. Stone (to soak up first 20min defence etc)

14. ?? Smith (back-up halves/dummy half)
15. N Brown (for impact after 20mins)
16. Kaufusi
17. Lane
18. Cartwright

(Exact make-up of bench varies week to week based on opponents, gameplan etc.)

Matterson not good enough for your 17?

Avenger

Immortal
Brown would be the second player I'd offload behind Gutho.

Both awesome but too similar and therefore one of them is surplus to our requirements.
If Gutherson starts with the "I want to know who the coach is going to be?" or clauses etc I'd tell him to go on his bike and f**k off. Moses signed a long term deal without knowing where BA is going to be.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
We discussed this earlier this morning in another thread.

There aren't any other options at the moment so he stays but to improve we need some more attacking potency in the spine. I have enormous respect for his effort and intensity but I don't think he is the player that we need.

Nicho Hynes would have been a great pick-up. Throw him in at 1, move Gutho to 6 and let someone else pay overs for Brown.

I'm a big fan of Dylbags and he has a good skill set, I'm just not sure that half is his best position although I'd prefer him to Jarthur

hindy111

Post Whore
Things change very fast in rugby league.

6 weeks ago we needed a new backline basicaly. Most bar myself wanted Waqa punted. All of a sudden he is the form centre of the comp and id argue on consitency he has been one of our best 5 players in the last 6 games. I always rated him and new he had it in him of stays focused.

Penisini has been a revelation and solves a huge problem.

Dunster I seen as a good back up. Or an ok winger if had nobody else. Even thomI don't see rep quality now I am thinking he might perhaps be slightly better then average and a certain starter.

Then there is Ray Stone. I'll be honest I raved on about this kid and he let me down.I pretty much gave up on him and put him down as a guy who ranks 19-21 in your squad. Plays 10 games a year due to injuries with low minutes. I am not yet convinced he is a starter or a certain top 17 player but the signs now suggest he is NRL quality. And if named in the 17 would wouldn't be dissapointed.

In the last month it feels like we found 4 x new players or atleast filled 4 roles.

I'd start the year as follows

1 Guth
2 Dunster
3 Waqa
4 Penisini
5 Sivo
6 Brown
7 Moses
8 Rcg
9 Mahoney
10 Jnr
11 Papa
12 Marata
13 Matterson

14 Stone
15 N.Brown
16 Cartwright
17 Kafusi

18 Lane

That is my best 17. The middle is a little light but our 2nd rowers are like props. N.Brown and Stone would bring a nice fast defensive line.

Sivo spot will be questioned.

I'd be confident that guys like Russel, Hollis,Rodwell, Greig are potential NRL players. Arthurs if called upon will be more reliable also.

Be interesting to see how niko hynes goes in the future .... he looks really good .... but put him amoinst nuffies and maybe he isn't???
If it’s true that Sharks want him the halves then I don’t think he’ll carry his form over, if he ends up playing fullback however he’ll go okay.

hindy111

Post Whore
Can't agree. His attack is still fairly ordinary.

I think he has looked better of late. Having a ball playing Hooker,Fullback and a super dominant halfback limits his role anyhows. His kicks in general are decent. Bombs,grubbers etc.
Guys like Dylan can develop slowly I guess. He has everything else in his game sorted.
Compare to an Ash Taylor who had a great pass but nothing much else. So many weaknesses made it easy for opposition coaches to combat his only strength.

D. Brown will need to work on his passing game. The rest of his game is quite good which means all his time and energy can be spent on that. Far easier then trying to fix your defensive issues, kick game and erratic play / mentality / toughness and desire. He has those sorted.

Avenger

Immortal
Things change very fast in rugby league.

6 weeks ago we needed a new backline basicaly. Most bar myself wanted Waqa punted. All of a sudden he is the form centre of the comp and id argue on consitency he has been one of our best 5 players in the last 6 games. I always rated him and new he had it in him of stays focused.

Penisini has been a revelation and solves a huge problem.

Dunster I seen as a good back up. Or an ok winger if had nobody else. Even thomI don't see rep quality now I am thinking he might perhaps be slightly better then average and a certain starter.

Then there is Ray Stone. I'll be honest I raved on about this kid and he let me down.I pretty much gave up on him and put him down as a guy who ranks 19-21 in your squad. Plays 10 games a year due to injuries with low minutes. I am not yet convinced he is a starter or a certain top 17 player but the signs now suggest he is NRL quality. And if named in the 17 would wouldn't be dissapointed.

In the last month it feels like we found 4 x new players or atleast filled 4 roles.

I'd start the year as follows

1 Guth
2 Dunster
3 Waqa
4 Penisini
5 Sivo
6 Brown
7 Moses
8 Rcg
9 Mahoney
10 Jnr
11 Papa
12 Marata
13 Matterson

14 Stone
15 N.Brown
16 Cartwright
17 Kafusi

18 Lane

That is my best 17. The middle is a little light but our 2nd rowers are like props. N.Brown and Stone would bring a nice fast defensive line.

Sivo spot will be questioned.

I'd be confident that guys like Russel, Hollis,Rodwell, Greig are potential NRL players. Arthurs if called upon will be more reliable also.
Sean Russell needs to be on the wing. Get rid of Sivo. The rest I like.

hindy111

Post Whore
If it’s true that Sharks want him the halves then I don’t think he’ll carry his form over, if he ends up playing fullback however he’ll go okay.

Hynes remined me of Moylan except a little tougher and focussed. His natural ball playing skills are excellent. I don't see that disappearing. But like any player if in a weak side behind forwards not making meters he could struggle to get chances to showcase his skills.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Maybe

1. Drown
2. Russell
3. Blake
4. Will
5. Dunster
6. Gutho
7. Moses
8. RCG
9. Mahoney
10. Paulo
11. Matterson
12 Cartwright
13. Nrown

14. Perham
15. Marata
16. Papa
17. Kafusi

18. Stone
19. Lane
20. Maka

backline has speed, use the skills of the edge players more. Bench has “power”. Perham is potentially a better /bigger version of Smith.

hindy111

Post Whore
Sean Russell needs to be on the wing. Get rid of Sivo. The rest I like.

Agree but I still am talking rnd 1. If Sivo is fit he is in. His form the first 8 weeks of this season left egg on my face. He was great. Russel will need atleast 8 weeks in NSW cup against men to get him ready. Barely played this season.

Avenger

Immortal
Agree but I still am talking rnd 1. If Sivo is fit he is in. His form the first 8 weeks of this season left egg on my face. He was great. Russel will need atleast 8 weeks in NSW cup against men to get him ready. Barely played this season.
There is no chance Sivo will be ready for Round 1. Maybe Round 12, if he's lucky.

strider

Post Whore
Tbh i dont know where the perham love comes from. He hasnt looked anything other than a reserve grader from what ive seen ... russell has to be ahead of him surely

Noise

Coach
This time last year we wanted another half as Dylbags was not a playmaker and offered little

I reckon we can put all that nonsense aside now as he really has matured a lot this year and he's starting to develop a running and passing game, still the best defending half in the NRL

safe to say we are not looking for another half now but a bigger problem may be hanging onto him if reports are correct
What?! he’s still not a play maker. His passing game is garbage and his running game is average. Barely ever breaks the line and never puts anyone into gaps.

hindy111

Post Whore
Tbh i dont know where the perham love comes from. He hasnt looked anything other than a reserve grader from what ive seen ... russell has to be ahead of him surely

He looks small to me and the only position he could fill is fullback.

Phillips

Referee
1. Gutherson
2. Sivo
3. Penisini
4. Blake
5. Dunster
6. Brown
7. Moses
8. Campbell-Gillard
9. Mahoney
10. Paulo
11. Lane
12. Matterson
13. Brown

14. Cartwright
15. Kaufusi
16. Niukore
17. Papali’i

18. Stone

Picked Lane and Sivo as I think they’ll be in the team. However I don’t rate Sivo and would prefer him not there.

Pazza

First Grade
Gutherson
Dunster
Penisini
Blake
Sivo
Drown
Moses
RCG
Mahoney
Paulo