What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tigerm

First Grade
Something has been missing at Wigan all year, they have been average. It hasn't been because of Hastings though, he has single handedly tried to carry the team all year but I think they just ran out of puff. Leeds are also missing a lot of players, they have a veteran halfback playing fullback at the moment, so they are not going great either.
My best point of reference for Hastings is his last year at Salford 2019, they are a bottom team that he managed to get to the Grand Final, basically on his own. As a comparison to other players, from what I've seen he is a better player than George Williams who managed to go ok in the NRL.
I don't know if he is the player or not (I hope so) to lead and inspire us, but it only takes one (Turbo) to get the team on a roll? Though I would like to see Nofa either pull his head or leave?

Yeah, as I said it was the only game I've seen him play, so its hard to be too definitive. He didn't look likely to create a chance though. Very easily contained by his opposite number all night. In saying that, he kept his opposing centre easily contained as well.
The previous game he played well against Catalans, perhaps that was their grand final beating the minor premiers in the last game. Hastings has moved from 7 to 1 & 7 again this year and is a winner. He can, IMO only be the 7 next year.

gordsy

Juniors
Quote I read today from dumber than a cockroach
“We’re called the Wests Tigers. They put the magpie on the shoulder and the Tiger on the chest but it’s like they just want to be a new club.

And this is why the club will struggle to be great Benny and cronies trying to bring us down for their own selfish gain.

Tigerm

First Grade
Quote I read today from dumber than a cockroach
“We’re called the Wests Tigers. They put the magpie on the shoulder and the Tiger on the chest but it’s like they just want to be a new club.

And this is why the club will struggle to be great Benny and cronies trying to bring us down for their own selfish gain.
Benny’s still pissed that the club told him to f**k off, when he offered to buy it?

stryker

First Grade
A good listen, cheers.

The point he made on what the press can do to a club or coach (with no facts) was interesting and so true in our case, and I haven’t heard one journo state they got it totally wrong?
They are all eluding to the club having lied to them.
How many leaks do we have?

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Speculation around who to sign and who not to sign is difficult as the player market is very tough this off-season as there's not a whole heap of talent and I'm not sure that it suits us positionally anyway. In other words what we need (well just IMHO) is not readily available. Let me just stress one area and it conflicts with us signing another big bopper front rower / middle third forward because I don't think we need one, and if we do sign one we absolutely must release one who is surplus to requirements. What I think we need is a lighter, cleverer, link playing forward with faster legs an ability to pass the footy and a big motor. Let's look at the number 13's left in the last 4. Jake Turbo, Cam Murray, Yeo & Finucane (however the Storm rotate this very quickly when Harry comes on and the Cheese plays as a #13). Also look at a couple of other top 8 teams #13 - Roosters have Radley, Parra - Nathan Brown and the Knights used Connor Watson in a way that replicates what the Storm do and he plays big minutes as a smaller running middle forward.
The days of 3 big bopper, non passing middle third forwards (essentially 3 props) playing all game is goooooonnne!

I believe we need a player of this type to balance things out in our forward pack.

Oh and Canberra do something similar to what the Storm (Finucane, Grant, Smith) do with Starling and Hodgson.

There were rumours that Hodgson wasn't happy at the Raiders - Geez I wish we could prise him out of Canberra a year early and if it meant making a play for him as soon as the Nov 1 deadline allows then I hope we do!

I agree we are in desperate need of a passing forward. I don't want us to pay overs for veterans or established players. The best we can hope for is young players with promise and fringe NRL players looking for a chance.

I think BIlly Magoulias is off contract. He hasnt really played much for Cronulla but he was too good for reggies in prior games I watched him play for Newtown.

Id still make a case that we need players to make metres. This was a tweet I saw a few weeks ago

Twal, Joffa and Seyfarth - all low metres per run

Last edited:

Mario chalmers

Juniors
A good listen, cheers.

The point he made on what the press can do to a club or coach (with no facts) was interesting and so true in our case, and I haven’t heard one journo state they got it totally wrong?

It does seem pretty clear that Wayne Beavis has been pushing an agenda with Shane Flanagan. Buzz was pretty open about pushing Flanno's cause.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/podcasts/daily-telegraph-nrl Buzz and co get stuck in again in the DT latest pod. A great deal of it is fluff but the point Carayannis makes about Madge not being able to recruit is very well made.

Madge defenders would say 'there are others in charge of recruitment its not just Madge.' Some truth in that also.

I shake my head that heading into next year
- we have no top end players joining;
- players like Daine Laurie, Stefano - there is no talk of extending those types anywhere
- there are no development players locked in. Flegg had an outstanding side this year and we already lost Mavoni to Canterbury

Vozzy

Juniors
With Doueihi out til like round nine next year and Laurie coming back from surgery probably be a struggle to get early results. We will struggle no matter what next year also Id rather plan for 2023 now looking at who will be on the market. There are no "stars" left for next year that will make a big difference better to not splash for the sake of it. A new coach would of been on a hiding to nothing probably saved $700k.

Tigerm

First Grade
It does seem pretty clear that Wayne Beavis has been pushing an agenda with Shane Flanagan. Buzz was pretty open about pushing Flanno's cause.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/podcasts/daily-telegraph-nrl Buzz and co get stuck in again in the DT latest pod. A great deal of it is fluff but the point Carayannis makes about Madge not being able to recruit is very well made.

Madge defenders would say 'there are others in charge of recruitment its not just Madge.' Some truth in that also.

I shake my head that heading into next year
- we have no top end players joining;
- players like Daine Laurie, Stefano - there is no talk of extending those types anywhere
- there are no development players locked in.
Flegg had an outstanding side this year and we already lost Mavoni to Canterbury
To be fair, we don't know what the club is doing or has done on those points you raise?
But there is not a lot of top end players available, so it will be difficult, the clubs finals record is as much a problem than anything else imo, but I am hoping we pick up some solid FG players in the mean time?
As we all know, it's a long way to the start of next season?

As @Vozzy said, the early season injuries from this season will hamper our start again, but hopefully Hastings arrival will show us something?

To be fair, we don't know what the club is doing or has done on those points you raise?
But there is not a lot of top end players available, so it will be difficult, the clubs finals record is as much a problem than anything else imo, but I am hoping we pick up some solid FG players in the mean time?

As @Vozzy said, the early season injuries from this season will hamper our start again, but hopefully Hastings arrival will show us something?
Hastings is a dynamic player who has been tearing esl apart for the last few years on a more or less consistent basis. His worst game is factory.

Gildart is only fractionally smaller than Douhie in line with the Madge size policy. Madge will see he gets the additional 5-10 kg of muscle he might need for over the off season.

The key to that Souths victory was smart footy in the first half with a massive 66% possession. Sapped all the power out of Manly.

Very astute purchases.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade

Also, not forgetting we will need to sign 4 players (I think it's 4?) for next season, hopefully we see something after the GF, but 23 is looking more likely, so hopefully Nov will see something as well?

As long as we don't throw cash at duds, I'll be happy?

Tigerm

First Grade
Hastings is a dynamic player who has been tearing esl apart for the last few years on a more or less consistent basis. His worst game is factory.

Gildart is only fractionally smaller than Douhie in line with the Madge size policy. Madge will see he gets the additional 5-10 kg of muscle he might need for over the off season.

The key to that Souths victory was smart footy in the first half with a massive 66% possession. Sapped all the power out of Manly.

Very astute purchases.
Agree on Hastings, hopefully he is our Turbo type player who leads us to the promised land?

Agree on Hastings, hopefully he is our Turbo type player who leads us to the promised land?
He’s a strike half who dominates, that’s a pretty good start. The kid at work used to play against him, says he’s half crazy with attitude.

He’s a different type of player to put into the squad. Ultra competitive like Doogie but less cuddly. A bit of of a grandstander.

They say Gildarts game is a lot like Lomaxs (the kennel).

So a bit of individualism creeping in. Souths is the ultimate side of individuals in some ways, each player has a core strength.

We still need a couple of gun fowards, that’s where I would be spending.

Desperately need Muzzie back in action smashing into the line with an offload, second phasing.

Tigerm

First Grade
He’s a strike half who dominates, that’s a pretty good start. The kid at work used to play against him, says he’s half crazy with attitude.

He’s a different type of player to put into the squad. Ultra competitive like Doogie but less cuddly. A bit of of a grandstander.

They say Gildarts game is a lot like Lomaxs (the kennel).

So a bit of individualism creeping in. Souths is the ultimate side of individuals in some ways, each player has a core strength.

We still need a couple of gun fowards, that’s where I would be spending.

Desperately need Muzzie back in action smashing into the line with an offload, second phasing.
If Hastings does deliver, I’m sending him to your place for free dinners.😂😂😂

Shredder

Juniors
Im thinking if we dont get rid of Brooks, he will be playing.

Maybe Madges "experiement" of Doughi in the centers was a precursor?

Possibly see:

1. Laurie
2. Nofo
3 Douehi
4 Gildard
5 Ken M
6 Hastings
7 Brooks

Brooks being a running half and Hastings the organizer. Im not sure whether I care whether they wear 6 or 7 as most teams play either side these days. There are severe weaknesses in that backline, but its the best Im hoping for next year. I think if we get the pack going forward and giving these guys some space they could score points.

Im thinking if we dont get rid of Brooks, he will be playing.

Maybe Madges "experiement" of Doughi in the centers was a precursor?

Possibly see:

1. Laurie
2. Nofo
3 Douehi
4 Gildard
5 Ken M
6 Hastings
7 Brooks

Brooks being a running half and Hastings the organizer. Im not sure whether I care whether they wear 6 or 7 as most teams play either side these days. There are severe weaknesses in that backline, but its the best Im hoping for next year. I think if we get the pack going forward and giving these guys some space they could score points.
Brooksy can’t take another 9 rounds before he realises the footy season has started.

He’s a much better player than we’ve seen these last few seasons.

Hastings isn’t joining us to become lost in the backline somewhere.

Brooksy days of phoning it in seem to be coming to an abrupt and rude end.

And if I was coaching the side, all players involved in that debacle against the bulldogs, do additional 3 laps around the oval carrying 10 kilo weights for a three weeks.

That’s unfinished business that game. I’m not carrying that into next season. It needs to be cleansed through toil and pain.

And apparently they are having a two month break. Not on my watch they wouldn’t. They can call in their association and spend next year in Reggie’s.

As Madge said, we want men at this club.

Which of you reading this thread gets an 8 week holiday. Ffs. Our ugly lot haven’t earned 2 weeks off

Total booze ban as well.

Saw McIntyre is being released lads, Herbert might be a good buy. Its not as if he hasn’t learned from that error. Deserved of a second chance I’d say. At least Bennet clipped his ear.

And the annual Benji-fest is on again. He wants to play next year.

Last edited:

stryker

First Grade
I will not be putting any money on that.
I suspect he will be slightly better than Brooks, but he himself will be a placeholder until someone great becomes available.

Tiger05

First Grade
There are severe weaknesses in that backline, but its the best Im hoping for next year. I think if we get the pack going forward and giving these guys some space they could score points.

That backline looks okay if Gildart and Hastings fire. I think that shows that we desperately need some quality in our backline. We are relying on 2 ESL players to come in and be top quality talent.

Doueihi being out means that Brooks should walk into one of the halves roles and then we see what happens. I don't know if Brooks is a guy who will ever be a leader in any first grade team and I wouldn't be surprised if he is pushed out at some point next season.

Latest posts