What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 QRL Intrust Super Cup Discussion

ALX25

Bench
Intrust Super Cup Coach of the Year
With the competition as tight as it has been this season, there were plenty of contenders for this year's Intrust Super Cup Coach of the Year. Shortlisted are:

Ben Woolf - Tweed Seagulls
Rohan Smith - Norths Devils
Rick Stone - Burleigh Bears
Ty Williams - Northern Pride
Steve Bretherton - Souths Logan Magpies
Adam Brideson - Wynnum Manly Seagulls

Earning this year's top honour is minor premiership-winning coach Rohan Smith.

ALX25

Bench
Intrust Super Cup Team of the Year
Fullback: Trai Fuller, Redcliffe Dolphins
Winger: Jonathon Reuben, Norths Devils
Centre: Sami Sauiluma, Burleigh Bears
Five-eighth: Jack Campagnolo, Wynnum Manly Seagulls
Halfback: Jack Ahearn, Norths Devils
Prop: Nat Neale, Ipswich Jets
Hooker: Jayden Berrell, Wynnum Manly Seagulls
Second rower: Joshua Stuckey, Northern Pride
Lock: Luke Bateman, Wynnum Manly Seagulls

ALX25

Bench
Wynnum Manly Seagulls hooker Jayden Berrell was announced as the Petero Civoniceva Medallist after his outstanding on-field exploits in the Intrust Super Cup.

Berrell polled 21 points to edge out Norths Devils star Jack Ahearn (20) to claim the prestigious award named after league great Civoniceva, who was on hand to present the medal to the tenacious Seagulls dummy half in front of 350 guests at Brisbane City Hall.

ALX25

Bench
Preliminary Finals
Sunday, October 3

Wynnum Manly Seagulls v Tweed Seagulls at Suncorp Stadium, 12.15pm (Channel 9)
Norths Devils v Burleigh Bears at Suncorp Stadium, 2.45pm (Channel 9)

Terrible start, clawed the deficit back to 6 by half time but the second half was a complete disaster.

Sums up Redcliffe’s season really. Not consistent enough at times.

Tweed have truely had the wood on us this year with wins in all 3 games. I don’t think they can beat Wynnum though. And I think Norfs will beat Burleigh too.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
From what I've seen of Norths and Burleigh, you would think this will be a tough, dour affair. Both are strong defensive teams who defend their line fiercely. Tries will be hard earned.

Though hopeful, I'm not convinced about Wynnum. The 2019 team never played badly all year, all their losses were to good teams who were just a bit better on the day. Injuries and suspensions to four top forwards pretty much killed their GF hopes though they were still a chance with 20 to go.

The 2021 version look stronger on paper but haven't always played that way. Their nine wins to start the season was helped by a soft draw and meeting Redcliffe and Tweed before they hit their straps. The Gulls have been inconsistent since, although they played well in the games against Norths and Burleigh which are benchmark teams.

Not a lot between the top four teams so none of the possible GF match ups will surprise me. Maybe an old BRL clash of Norfs and Wynnum or possibly the first all Gold Coast clash of Burleigh and Tweed.

Brutus

Referee
What's the bet if they move the NRL GF to Townsville, the two Intrust prelims will be still be played at an empty Suncorp to maintain the TV coverage for the day.

Brutus

Referee
Would love to see a Norths v Wynnum GF.

There has never been a 1st grade Devils v Gulls GF before.

The last time they played for a piece of first grade silverware was way back in 1987 when the Devils beat the Gulls to win the Woolies trophy (not to be confused with the Woolies pre-season).

I can still re-call Darryl Duncan lifting the trophy. An injured Wally coached Wynnum from the stands that day.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Norths won 22-12 that day.

Only games between Wynnum and Norths at Lang Park since then have been:

1992 Knock-out Semi Norths won 18-12
2018 Round 4 Wynnum won 31-18

Apart from the 1992 Semi, the only other finals game between the two clubs was the 1959 Preliminary Final which Norths won 12-3. Wynnum had beaten them earlier in the season for the President's Cup which was the first trophy won by the club.

ALX25

Bench
This season has seen outstanding performances in the Intrust Super Cup, with players across the competition stepping up.

Some of the standout players were last week honoured at the QRL Awards with a position in the Intrust Super Cup Team of the Year for season 2021.

In a sign of his strong season, Norths Devils skipper and eventual Halfback of the Year winner Jack Ahearn polled highly in multiple positions.

Full list in story: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2021/09/30/the-contenders-intrust-super-cup-team-of-the-year/

Brutus

Referee
Norths won 22-12 that day.

Only games between Wynnum and Norths at Lang Park since then have been:

1992 Knock-out Semi Norths won 18-12
2018 Round 4 Wynnum won 31-18

Apart from the 1992 Semi, the only other finals game between the two clubs was the 1959 Preliminary Final which Norths won 12-3. Wynnum had beaten them earlier in the season for the President's Cup which was the first trophy won by the club.

You forgot the Winfield State League clash between the two teams played on an overcast Sunday back in 1988 at Lang Park.

Wynnum won 24-0.

I remember Mark Kellaway and Troy Evans playing well for Norths in that 1992 semi.

Brutus

Referee
How on earth did the QRL f**k up the scheduling and make the GF next week....
Nothing wrong with a standalone GF at Dolphin Oval the following week.

I love the fact we get two QRL prelim finals on NRL GF day.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
You forgot the Winfield State League clash between the two teams played on an overcast Sunday back in 1988 at Lang Park.

Wynnum won 24-0.

I remember Mark Kellaway and Troy Evans playing well for Norths in that 1992 semi.
Norths got one back in the State League game at Lang Park in 1989 winning 8-4.

Wynnum did well to make the Semis in 1992. They would have been shorter odds to win the wooden spoon than to make the Semis at the start of the year after only 15 wins across the previous four seasons. Gary Seaton did a good job coaching them and laid the foundations for the Premiership win in 1995.

I vividly remember Ray Allen falling off a tackle that led to a Norths try in the 92 Semi. Thankfully he later went to Easts and bombed a certain try for them when they had Wynnum shot in the 1995 GF.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
How on earth did the QRL f**k up the scheduling and make the GF next week....
The lockdowns in July/August caused some rounds to be postponed and others to be cancelled. It's worked out great to have the Q Cup Grand Final after all the NRL has finished. Might get some media coverage.

Brutus

Referee
Norths got one back in the State League game at Lang Park in 1989 winning 8-4.

Wynnum did well to make the Semis in 1992. They would have been shorter odds to win the wooden spoon than to make the Semis at the start of the year after only 15 wins across the previous four seasons. Gary Seaton did a good job coaching them and laid the foundations for the Premiership win in 1995.

I vividly remember Ray Allen falling off a tackle that led to a Norths try in the 92 Semi. Thankfully he later went to Easts and bombed a certain try for them when they had Wynnum shot in the 1995 GF.
They certainly met a few times at Lang Park in the old state league.

82,83,84,88 and 89.

87 they also played each other in a woolies semi 17-14 to Norths in a brutal mid-week game that forced Norths to be without their entire front row for the following Sunday's Woolies final against Brothers (highlights on you tube complete with Struddy interview).

There were also several BRL clashes at Lang Park in the 80s. 83 was a doozy. Norths led 22-6 only for Wynnum to storm home 40-28. The following season produced a last-second finish for the ages at Lang Park with Yogi scoring off a Cookie kick.

Wow I'm acting as though it's already a Norths Wynnum GF.

Fingers crossed. It has to be. Let's just hope the game gets played at all with all this corona bullshit.

Gary Seaton
Zulu
Mick Hickey
Daniel Ogden
Delouise Hoeter
Shane Smith
Doug Belford
Michael Booth (yes Wynnum in 1984)

Just a few players I can recall that played for both clubs I'm sure there are plenty more.

Last edited:

Latest posts