What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 QRL Intrust Super Cup Discussion

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Gary Seaton
Zulu
Mick Hickey
Daniel Ogden
Delouise Hoeter
Shane Smith
Doug Belford
Michael Booth (yes Wynnum in 1984)

Just a few players I can recall that played for both clubs I'm sure there are plenty more.
Les Salter
Greg Dowling
Daniel Frame

One game I remember was mid-80s at Bishop Park, can't work out the year for sure from my records but possibly 1985. Norths had Wynnum in big trouble but the game was halted for about 10 minutes in the second half when Lyall Dowling (Greg's brother) broke his leg. Wynnum used the delay to regroup and ran all over Norths from that point, winning comfortably in the end.

Brutus

Referee
John Dowling

I was at that game in 85. Brian Coyne (Gary's brother) suffered the broken leg I'm pretty sure.

I guess Lyall Dowling is another one who played for both clubs. I remember him playing for Norths.

Scott Nicholls was signed by Norths for the 86 season, but Wally wanted him at WM.

Good move in the end.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
You're right. My memory is going - it was Brian Coyne, at least I had the brother bit right.

ALX25

Bench
Intrust Super Cup Grand Final – Sunday, October 10
Norths Devils v Wynnum Manly Seagulls at Moreton Daily Stadium - 3.10pm

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Apart from the 1992 Semi, the only other finals game between the two clubs was the 1959 Preliminary Final which Norths won 12-3. Wynnum had beaten them earlier in the season for the President's Cup which was the first trophy won by the club.
I was looking only at Lang Park games for that stat. Wynnum and Norths have actually played two Queensland Cup finals matches as well:

2004 Semi Final Wynnum 36 def Norths 18 at Bishop Park
2012 Semi Final Wynnum 30 def Norths 22 at Kougari Oval

Well the day is here finally.

Good luck to both teams as they have been the best 2 all year.

For the record I tip Norths but the game could go easily both ways.

kit66

Bench
Final score 16-10 to Norths Devils over WM Seagulls. Nice win to Norths, gritty defence and constant hard work by the likes of Nene McDonald, Ahearn, Levi, Sio, Pulu and Michael Molo who scored a great match winning try off the back of some amazing skill from the backs. Seagulls had arguably a better team but their last play options were diabolical. Norths too blew some opportunities mostly due to glory seeking ball hogs close to the line - Tyrone Roberts included - pass and they score.
Entertaining game but not many players you'd want in your 1st grade NRL team except maybe Nene - the hardest working winger you've ever seen - and Selwyn Cobbo who is very much 1st grade material in the mold of Inglis and L.Mitchell. Pretty good refereeing it must be said.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Yep, the last play options killed Wynnum. Norths are a very good defensive team and you need to build up pressure to crack them. They can hold out individual sets better than most so it is imperative that you get repeat sets at them.

The scoreline was indicative of the season - Norths always looked a little but not a lot stronger than the rest. Only two losses all year, the second in the last regular round when it made no difference to them finishing Minor Premiers. A very good season for them.