What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022s whipping boy

Crush

Coach
With Corey Norman now gone I'd love to know who we think will take his place as the forum whipping boy.
To be fair to the past and present whipping boys, its usually the coach who creates this phenomenon.
The reason why Corey, Lafai, Aitken to name a few were all whipping boys is because the coaches refused to drop them. I mean really, its wasn't Normans fault that the club payed him 850K to do F all and contribute nothing. And it wasn't his fault that he was named starting 6 for 3 years regardless of form.

Anyway, I think there could be a few players that could step up to the plate in 2022 but for me it will come down to Moses Mbye and Andrew McCulloch. I can see these two getting selected EVERY single week regardless of form and I think their best years may be behind them.

Walpole

Juniors
Tough question. I mean, some posters have already started slagging off blokes who've haven't even pulled on the Red V yet, so the title of whipping boy is a very open race. Think I'll see the glass as half full at this stage and wait for the first missed tackle of 2022 before I swear eternal damnation on one of the new guys.

denis preston

First Grade
With Corey Norman now gone I'd love to know who we think will take his place as the forum whipping boy.
To be fair to the past and present whipping boys, its usually the coach who creates this phenomenon.
The reason why Corey, Lafai, Aitken to name a few were all whipping boys is because the coaches refused to drop them. I mean really, its wasn't Normans fault that the club payed him 850K to do F all and contribute nothing. And it wasn't his fault that he was named starting 6 for 3 years regardless of form.

Anyway, I think there could be a few players that could step up to the plate in 2022 but for me it will come down to Moses Mbye and Andrew McCulloch. I can see these two getting selected EVERY single week regardless of form and I think their best years may be behind them.
Spot on Crush, if a player is playing shit so he should go to ressies and we forget him but if the coach doesn't drop him it is like a death of a thousand cuts for us fans ( Norman , Crone, Aitkin , Beale the first time etc ) .I'm hoping that whilst we haven't brought superstars we have offloaded a few players but perhaps have more depth next season. This should give the coach less reason to keep non performers in first grade. I'm still scratching my head on Hook's Norman fixation last season. The only plausible reason was that he wanted to introduce his replacements gradually due to their youth.

kit66

Bench

I think it will be a very rewarding and satisfying year for those that love to get the whip out, so many choices and we haven't even got to 2022 yet. If it comes down to a Hook favourite in the mould of Norman, always picked no matter his obvious shortcomings well that'll be McCullough (and hopefully not Mbye).

Mojo

Bench
If we remain generally deplorable Hook himself will cop a major caning. It concerns me that perhaps he is stubborn and plays favourites. He's taken some big gambles (paying small money) in recruitment. If any of the 'gambles' fail and Hook digs his heals in, Saints supporters will be incessantly screaming obscenities about him.

thebigredv

First Grade
1 vote for Josh Kerr and another for T Sims if I may.

Sims in particular will have the eyes of the whole rugby league world on him as he plays for that next contract. Hopefully he rises to the occasion each week and he gives us $700 000 worth of value.

Kerr played one rep game years ago and blistered it. He isn't alone, but hasn't done a lot since.

McCulloch is a toiler, he'll do his 40 tackles and a couple of good kicks but he won't tear an opposition apart and nor will Mbye. Big weakness in our team. Not sure either deserves to be whipping boys but then again I'll be riding Moses pretty hard.

thebigredv

First Grade
If we remain generally deplorable Hook himself will cop a major caning. It concerns me that perhaps he is stubborn and plays favourites. He's taken some big gambles (paying small money) in recruitment. If any of the 'gambles' fail and Hook digs his heals in, Saints supporters will be incessantly screaming obscenities about him.

Not wrong.

I loved the way he spoke. I've listened to him as a broadcaster and his knowledge is extensive but that Norman debacle absolutely drove me insane. Then the pressers became quite uninspiring and all too reminiscent of the last coach. Truth is Amone/Sullivan will have start just that little bit behind in experience and that's on the coach.

Here's hoping for a lot more to get excited about in 22 no matter how low we finish. Get the dragons army buzzing again.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
In seriousness, won’t surprise me if it’s Ramsay.

We have enough new toys now that Cody feels like last year’s fad.

Watch the mob turn on the guy who was supposedly “the future”

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I think we will have a much better year but there will be whipping boys. Hook will be by some no matter what happens. Sims will be by some as blocking Burns for example, Mbye will one seen as blocking Sullivan’s spot no matter how well he plays. Woods if he even comes is probably so poorly rated that if he’s even steady or solid he will be seen as handy imo.

Dracarys

Juniors
Woods. My least favourite player for as long as I can remember. Would be happy to see him bow out gracefully mid season (ala Merrin) admitting the game's just got too quick for him. Even better backflip on the whole deal.