What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

MugaB

Coach
Speaking of magic round i wonder who will be the unlucky team to miss out playing in 2023 and have the bye.
Should be the Broncos.... every time its held at Suncorp, but instead of a bye they have to play the QLD Intrust cup winner of the previous year (2021 was Norths Devils for example) and this will be the opener on early on the Friday, although there won't be any competition points, then magic round continues with 3 games on each day
If they move magic round to Auckland, then the warriors have to sit out and play a local team comp winner so on and so on

Hartwood

Juniors
Should be the Broncos.... every time its held at Suncorp, but instead of a bye they have to play the QLD Intrust cup winner of the previous year (2021 was Norths Devils for example) and this will be the opener on early on the Friday, although there won't be any competition points, then magic round continues with 3 games on each day
If they move magic round to Auckland, then the warriors have to sit out and play a local team comp winner so on and so on
No idea why any team would agree to risk their players In a game against reserve graders, nor why a reserve grade team would risk their players in a pointless game either

BunniesMan

Immortal
2023 is better than 2024. If the franchise is to be given a fair go it needs to have a recruiting advantage, that means a full cap it can spend now. Pushing it to 2024 means other teams will have too much time to lock down top tier players. The NRL does not have instruments like draft picks to help funnel to the team like the AFL did. It only has the blunt instrument of cash and that only works if they can start bidding for 2023.

MugaB

Coach
No idea why any team would agree to risk their players In a game against reserve graders, nor why a reserve grade team would risk their players in a pointless game either
Exhibition match early friday, brissie coach can still save his marquee players and rest them, but it solves the choice of team, and gives bronx a rest whilst still showcasing them at magic round, and keeping their 12 home games intact for the other rounds..
Plus being an exhibition match, people will either turn up early or they won't, but broncos fans will likely want to see their team play, even if its not regarded as a real match.. and as for the 2nd grade side, if you've gotta a chance to prove you're better than a 1st grade club, especially one that has won the 2nd grade comp the year prior, you'll be up for it

Santino Patane

Juniors
Great idea!👌👌

toomuchsoup

Juniors
Speaking of magic round i wonder who will be the unlucky team to miss out playing in 2023 and have the bye.
I’ve been thinking about that. To make it somewhat ‘fair’ before the next season starts, let clubs know that either the premiers or the spoon winners (which ever they think is fairer to miss out) will be the ones to miss out on magic round the following year. This way the team that misses out hasn’t been ‘chosen’ as the team.

Hartwood

Juniors
yea it should never be any of the 4 qld sides or the storm , & those 5 should be all playing away games as well which has been the case in the 2 magic rounds to date.
I don't think there's any chance it will be though, it'd be too big of a risk. More likely is broncos would play Saturday and dolphins on Sunday or vice versa

MugaB

Coach
CENTRAL QUEENSLAND

NRL expansion​

ARL Commission chair Peter V’landys.

By Liam Emerton

With the 17th team in the NRL set to be named early next week, the impact on the local rugby league competition can only be positive.

The Central Queensland Capras have already formed an official alliance with the Brisbane Firehawks and CQ Today understands that the Intrust Super Cup club also has deals in the works with both the Brisbane (Ipswich) Jets and Redcliffe Dolphins.
That means that local players will no longer have to sacrifice moving away from Central Queensland to pursue a career in the NRL.
For Rockhampton Rugby League president Mick Johns, the 17th team expansion can only mean good things for players in our local competition.
“We lose so many kids, once they leave school, they move out of the area to just to move to Brisbane for an opportunity,“ he said.
“They don’t need to do that anymore. We can keep our young talent in the area.
“They can see the pathways now from schoolboys to local league to Capras and there’s just one direct line now.
“It’s beneficial for the players because they’re in an environment they feel secure in.
“They don’t need to move form their home and be away from their friends and family.
“It’s only a positive and it’s a positive for their minds.“
The NRL believes it can turn 200,000 rugby league fans into supporters of a new franchise after all but locking in expansion to a 17th team for 2023.
Club bosses were told on Thursday that the NRL was set for its first expansion in 14 years after being sold the figures on adding an extra side.
It is understood ARL Commission chair Peter V’landys addressed the meeting as if expansion was a formality, and there was little resistance from clubland.
At the latest, a new side will be announced by the end of October, allowing the franchise to hit the player market for 2023 at the same time as every other club on 1 November.
The Redcliffe-based bid remains the frontrunner, ahead of the Brisbane Easts-backed Firehawks and the Brisbane Jets.
Home games will be played out of Suncorp Stadium, offering the Brisbane Broncos a cross-town rival and Queensland a fourth club.
The expansion will result in 12 extra games per season, with two byes for each team.
The move comes off the back of a $50 million surplus shown to clubs on Thursday, as well as a $100 million kicker from News Corp for five years.
It’s also believed the move to a 17-team competition also has the backing of the Nine Network, the code’s free-to-air broadcaster.
Club bosses were also told at Thursday’s meeting the NRL is close to securing a new free-to-air deal, as well as the naming rights sponsorship with both expiring at the end of 2022.
Once that is complete, the NRL will begin formal negotiations on club funding from 2023 and beyond.
Clubs have been told they will be better off with a 17th franchise with more money in the game, but it remains to be seen if they will receive the extra $1.5 million per season some have asked for.
Regardless, the NRL is adamant they can attract more fans, sponsors and viewers by expanding the competition.
Data from a three years of research has shown the NRL there are 200,000 followers of the code in Queensland who do not currently support a team.
The league believes it will be able to turn them into fans of the new franchise, as well as drawing others in from the region.
They are also buoyed that there are just six men’s professional sporting clubs in Brisbane, compared to 17 in both Melbourne and Sydney.
– with Scott Bailey and Murray Wenzel, AAP

Hartwood

Juniors
Good move for CQ. Anyone got a list of which Intrust clubs are feeder clubs for what NRL teams?
Off the top of my head so someone can correct me if I'm wrong

Sunshine Coast Falcons - Storm
Brisbane Tigers - Storm
Northern Pride - Cowboys
Townsville Blackhawks - Cowboys
Mackay Cutters - Cowboys
Ipswich Jets - Knights
Redcliffe Dolphins - Warriors
CQ Capras - Broncos
Wynnum-Manly Seagulls - Broncos
Souths-Logan Magpies - Broncos
Norths Devils - Broncos
Tweed Heads Seagulls - Titans
Burleigh Bears - Titans
PNG Hunters - No one

Obviously when/if dolphins come in then they will take back the redcliffe dolphins and apparently the capras as their feeders, same with Jets and firehawks

mongoose

Coach
Off the top of my head so someone can correct me if I'm wrong

Sunshine Coast Falcons - Storm
Brisbane Tigers - Storm
Northern Pride - Cowboys
Townsville Blackhawks - Cowboys
Mackay Cutters - Cowboys
Ipswich Jets - Knights
Redcliffe Dolphins - Warriors
CQ Capras - Broncos
Wynnum-Manly Seagulls - Broncos
Souths-Logan Magpies - Broncos
Norths Devils - Broncos
Tweed Heads Seagulls - Titans
Burleigh Bears - Titans
PNG Hunters - No one

Obviously when/if dolphins come in then they will take back the redcliffe dolphins and apparently the capras as their feeders, same with Jets and firehawks
Yep I think that's it. I guess all the potential expansion bids aligned themselves with a different club to the Broncos. Pretty sure Dolphins, Tigers and Jets were all Broncos feeder teams 2 years ago and Capras was Titans or Cowboys.

MugaB

Coach
Yep I think that's it. I guess all the potential expansion bids aligned themselves with a different club to the Broncos. Pretty sure Dolphins, Tigers and Jets were all Broncos feeder teams 2 years ago and Capras was Titans or Cowboys.
I wouldn't be suprised is Falcons aligned themselves with the dolphins, although them feeding the storm, must have been benifical for the club

Santino Patane

Juniors
I wouldn't be suprised is Falcons aligned themselves with the dolphins, although them feeding the storm, must have been benifical for the club
I’d be very surprised if they did- the link between Redcliffe and the Sunny Coast is only because Redcliffe is in between Brisbane and the Coast. In the league world, they are quite adversarial. And I doubt the Storm would let go either, considering they recently extended their partnership.

On their wikipedia it says they were affiliated with the Cowboys from 2002 till 2007
Cowboys fielded their own team, the North Queensland Young Guns, in the Queensland Cup between 2002 and 2007. It was then disbanded to make way for the introduction of Mackay Cutters and Northern Pride.

Latest posts