What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

Perth Red

Post Whore
didn’t he get the memo that news ltd has already decided who the winner will be?

The face of Brisbane Jets' bid to become the NRL's 17th team says he is "disappointed" by the limited opportunities he says were offered to put forward their case.

The NRL is expected to announce in the coming days that Redcliffe Dolphins will enter the competition in 2023, winning the race to the licence by beating out the Jets and the Firehawks.

Nicholas Livermore, though, believes the NRL and Australian Rugby League Commission should take more time so he can push his own bid further than he has been able to so far.

"If they've made their decision after one meeting I would be disappointed."

It does, however, seem a fait accompli the Dolphins will be announced as the winning bid.

Nine News understands the Dolphins have already been sent documents outlining conditions of the new licence, and an NRL announcement is imminent.

"So far we think we've put a really compelling case for the Brisbane Jets, and more importantly rugby league fans, to have a team," Livermore told Nine News.

"We would like to sit down and have another discussion. We've only had a one-hour meeting after the last 10 years of working on this.

"So we would like to think that the Commission knows what's at stake.

flippikat

Bench
didn’t he get the memo that news ltd has already decided who the winner will be?

The face of Brisbane Jets' bid to become the NRL's 17th team says he is "disappointed" by the limited opportunities he says were offered to put forward their case.

The NRL is expected to announce in the coming days that Redcliffe Dolphins will enter the competition in 2023, winning the race to the licence by beating out the Jets and the Firehawks.

Nicholas Livermore, though, believes the NRL and Australian Rugby League Commission should take more time so he can push his own bid further than he has been able to so far.

It does, however, seem a fait accompli the Dolphins will be announced as the winning bid.

Nine News understands the Dolphins have already been sent documents outlining conditions of the new licence, and an NRL announcement is imminent.

"So far we think we've put a really compelling case for the Brisbane Jets, and more importantly rugby league fans, to have a team," Livermore told Nine News.

"We would like to sit down and have another discussion. We've only had a one-hour meeting after the last 10 years of working on this.

Precisely. News won the war, after all.. it was never about *actually* owning the game (although having a half stake for two decades was a pretty amazing achievement as far as conflict-of-interest dodging goes).. just getting Pay TV rights to themselves, driving out competitors in that industry & using that to manipulate the sport however they wanted to.

And the NRL being the schmucks they are, keep letting them.

MugaB

Coach

Obviously that hour, wasn't spent well, dolphins bid apparently went for 1-2 hours
Geographically the other bids couldn't figure their shit out, one minute they are west, then inner city, then both, then south and all of logan and western corridor then pooling resources, then staying east, nick Livermore using the excuse of fans out west, forgetting they were just 6 months prior against the very same ipswich bid, until they need something then its all about the fans just desserts, knowing how badly fans were against his bombers brand, stil pushed ahead with it, then flip floping color schemes, from orange/blue to green/blue/silver... nonstop flip flopping till they could gey hands on a license, one thing i can say about the dolphins is atleast they outlined their bid early and didn't try to deviate, no merging bids, no outlining fans disservice

Last edited:

beave

Coach
@Get Rid of The Donkeys regarding rocky-

David Faiumu was one off the top of my head we nabbed off them and Mitch Zornig but he didn't play any FG (he ended up going back to rocky)I haven't had a chance to go through some old articles I have in a folder somewhere but there was a couple more.

I was up in Townsville in '02 or '03 for a game as I lived in Sydney at the time and got drinking with 2 lads at the Cowbs leagues after the game. After about 15mins they realised I was into my NQ footy a lot, they revealed who they were, they were both on the board of the Rocky leagues club/footy club and were in town to talk to Denis Keefe to try and get the Rocky RL and the Cowboys into a partnership. At the time we had been sending some players up to the Cairns Cyclones as well as the Young Guns in the NSW cup and then the Qcup. The previous management at NQ under Rabieh Krahyem had absolutely torched every bridge around the junior leagues in Cairns, Mackay and Rocky but these guys liked the cut of Dennis's gib and wanted to get into an agreement with the Cowboys (they probably saw opportunities for themselves to get some casts off or at least get some kids into the system that might then come back to Rocky). There's a couple of articles on the net that shows the alignment announcement but it's very light on like this one on LU

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Obviously that hour, wasn't spent well, dolphins bid apparently went for 1-2 hours
Geographically the other bids couldn't figure their shit out, one minute they are west, then inner city, then both, then south and all of logan and western corridor then pooling resources, then staying east, nick Livermore using the excuse of fans out west, forgetting they were just 6 months prior against the very same ipswich bid, until they need something then its all about the fans just desserts, knowing how badly fans were against his bombers brand, stil pushed ahead with it, then flip floping color schemes, from orange/blue to green/blue/silver... nonstop flip flopping till they could gey hands on a license, one thing i can say about the dolphins is atleast they outlined their bid early and didn't try to deviate, no merging bids, no outlining fans disservice
Just lied about how much money they’ve got lol

@Get Rid of The Donkeys regarding rocky-

David Faiumu was one off the top of my head we nabbed off them and Mitch Zornig but he didn't play any FG (he ended up going back to rocky)I haven't had a chance to go through some old articles I have in a folder somewhere but there was a couple more.

I was up in Townsville in '02 or '03 for a game as I lived in Sydney at the time and got drinking with 2 lads at the Cowbs leagues after the game. After about 15mins they realised I was into my NQ footy a lot, they revealed who they were, they were both on the board of the Rocky leagues club/footy club and were in town to talk to Denis Keefe to try and get the Rocky RL and the Cowboys into a partnership. At the time we had been sending some players up to the Cairns Cyclones as well as the Young Guns in the NSW cup and then the Qcup. The previous management at NQ under Rabieh Krahyem had absolutely torched every bridge around the junior leagues in Cairns, Mackay and Rocky but these guys liked the cut of Dennis's gib and wanted to get into an agreement with the Cowboys (they probably saw opportunities for themselves to get some casts off or at least get some kids into the system that might then come back to Rocky). There's a couple of articles on the net that shows the alignment announcement but it's very light on like this one on LU

Did the affiliation end around the time the Cutters and Pride entered the Queensland Cup?

beave

Coach
Did the affiliation end around the time the Cutters and Pride entered the Queensland Cup?
From memory, yeah it was.

Our whole feeder systems have been a mess since SL ended. At least in 1995-1997 there was a proper reserve grade comp in the leagues we played but immediately post SL war when costs had spiralled out of control for clubs, it all got messy for us. We entered a team in the Qcup in 1998 as the Tvl Stingers which only lasted a year. 1999 we sent players up play Qcup for cyclones, 2000 we then had the young guns in the NSW cup for a few years and then flipped the team to Qcup when they finally let us in (there was talk they were dirty at us for joining SL and took a few years to get in their good books again). Then you had the alignment with rocky in '03, 2008 the young guns disbanded and replaced with the Pride and Cutters. Then you have the Blackhawks come along in 2014.............. sigh.

The 3 club feeder thing we have going on now is not ideal IMO for fringe cowboys contracted players as training all week in Tvl and then getting farmed out to a club 4 hours north/south away isn't exactly good prep but it is what it is I guess. The beauty Redcliffe will have is that they will have a Qcup feeder set up already there in place using the same name and colours out of the same facility as the NRL side.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Are you claiming that the Jets were a better bid?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Well said. The Dolphins have had a spot in the NRL has a long term goal for over a decade. They were the most financial and consistent of the bids. They did not waver and didn't need to consider a merger. They were strong and able to stand on their own feet. The whinging about this is insane. They are a huge RL club and will be a great addition to the NRL and will instantly draw more fans than most NRL clubs

Perth Red

Post Whore
Are you claiming that the Jets were a better bid?
No idea, didnt see the bid documents. It does seem plausible though that News ltd did well out of it all:
Allegedly got the bid they wanted thats the least threat to the Broncos
Allegedly got less Broncos games on FTA to push their KAYO subscriptions
Got the digital reporting arm closed down

Not a bad investment of allegedly $15-20mill a year

Perth Red

Post Whore
This would be hilarious if it wasnt so sad. Basically the games CEO acknowledging that if you invest then you will get reward, and saying thats the difference between NRL and AFL!!!

The Dolphins had been the unanimous choice of the expansion committee, and Abdo said that the league needed to know that the new team would be ready to go from day one, not requiring huge league investment.
"This is not something we wanted to invest tens of millions [of dollars] into," he said.
"That is the difference between AFL and NRL expansion.
"AFL will pour the money in, knowing they'll reap the rewards in the long run."

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
No idea, didnt see the bid documents. It does seem plausible though that News ltd did well out of it all:
Allegedly got the bid they wanted thats the least threat to the Broncos
Allegedly got less Broncos games on FTA to push their KAYO subscriptions
Got the digital reporting arm closed down

Not a bad investment of allegedly $15-20mill a year
Well, out of the boxes that you would want ticked for Brisbane 2, Redcliffe did it better than the other two bids, so it's not like they were the worst bid but got in anyway because of news, they were the best bid and they won.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
This would be hilarious if it wasnt so sad. Basically the games CEO acknowledging that if you invest then you will get reward, and saying thats the difference between NRL and AFL!!!

The Dolphins had been the unanimous choice of the expansion committee, and Abdo said that the league needed to know that the new team would be ready to go from day one, not requiring huge league investment.
"This is not something we wanted to invest tens of millions [of dollars] into," he said.
"That is the difference between AFL and NRL expansion.
"AFL will pour the money in, knowing they'll reap the rewards in the long run."

I kind of feel like if the situations were reversed and the NRL were ploughing massive amounts of dollars into an Adelaide and a Perth team that weren't getting much traction, and the AFL promoted say Perth 3 and got it fully funded by the bid and got pay TV to cover the club's grant plus a bit extra, the AFL would be lauded for that and we'd be bagged for it.

The NRL have done well here and it is worth celebrating.

Pj,Rj,Hj

Juniors
...They are a huge RL club and will be a great addition to the NRL and will instantly draw more fans than most NRL clubs

Curiously, what are people's thoughts on what will constitute an impactful debut for The Dolphins?

.Crowds around 20 000 at Suncorp, nothing but sellouts at Moreton Daily Stadium?
.How many social members could we assume will upgrade to Attending Members (Season tickets, 3 game ticket holders etc)?
*will be interesting to see considering how that's approached as The Dolphins will be the first "new" club to enter the NRL within this era of pushing Membership models similar to the AFL clubs.
.Immediate competitiveness on the field (not necessarily winning more than they lose)?
*As opposed to the AFL's Sun's and Giant's who used their draft and were expected to get belted for a couple seasons?

I'm happy for Redcliffe, though from afar it appeared the more geographically constrained bid. If that was of deliberate design in the NRL (and News ltd) choosing them, then it certainly does leave the southern half of Brisbane open to another team, and I fear my Perth will have to wait for another decade minimum. I don't see a 20 team league in any domestically played code viable in the medium to long term. Perth needs the 18th license else holding out hope for the slim chance of a club relocating, may just see the game wither away in WA. Perth will probably be over 3million by the time the NRL decides the 4th biggest market in the nation may just have something to offer like putting the N in NRL.