What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official: Redcliffe Dolphins to join NRL in 2023

Reflector

Juniors
More so because Redcliffe Dolphins traditionally represented Redcliffe City in the BRL (the suburbs of Kippa-Ring, Clontarf, Scarborough, Rothwell, Newport, Margate, Woody Point and its namesake Redcliffe) whereas now Redcliffe City council has since merged with Pine Rivers Shire and Caboolture Shire Councils to form the massive Moreton Bay Regional Council. So a result as an NRL team they want to represent all these areas, not just part of it plus the Sunshine Coast hence why I suspect they will become the preferred name of Moreton Bay Dolphins! I highly doubt it will be Brisbane as they have never been part of Brisbane and would piss off their core supporters.
I'd prefer Moreton Dolphins.

Moreton Bay sounds a little too centralised and 'local league', whereas not only does Moreton sum up the entire region covered by Moreton Bay Regional Council, it's also a more generalised name which is exactly what they're looking for. At the same time, the name Moreton is synonymous with Brisbane so it's a way of suggesting they are a team for all of Brisbane without having Brisbane in the name OR calling themselves South Queensland- if that makes any sense?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
attack japanese GIF by South Park

I’ll keep this gif for safe keeping when they cop their first hiding.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Yeh this, ‘Moreton Bay’ is spot on. The Moreton Bay region covers Redcliffe, North Lakes and a large chunk of the North. The actual Moreton Bay stretches from Sunny Coast to East Brisbane so relates to those target areas as well.

The bay extends some 125 kilometres (78 mi) from Caloundra in the north almost to Surfers Paradise in the south.[24] The bay's southern navigation entrance is the Gold Coast Seaway. The bay is 35 kilometres (22 mi) across at its widest point.

Not just the council area. Calling the team Moreton Bay is perfect. Takes in most of the Sunny Coast, all the way down.

Exciting to have a new team but deflating to know it’ll just be another team from Brisbane and not Perth or Adelaide.

Anyways, I hope them well.

Wonder what their kit will look like?

mongoose

Coach
The bay extends some 125 kilometres (78 mi) from Caloundra in the north almost to Surfers Paradise in the south.[24] The bay's southern navigation entrance is the Gold Coast Seaway. The bay is 35 kilometres (22 mi) across at its widest point.

Not just the council area. Calling the team Moreton Bay is perfect. Takes in most of the Sunny Coast, all the way down.
Pacific Dolphins, now that's taking in a big area.

Cactus

Juniors
Pacific Dolphins, now that's taking in a big area.

Wheres the vision ?

Asia Pacific Dolphins *

* John Ribot advises that due to trade tensions and the threat of global conflict Hong Kong & Taiwan may be excluded from the AP Dolphins territory

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I'm not denying there's a big gap between the best & the worst teams in the comp, and that the top few have quite a march on the rest.. but I feel it's been hugely exacerbated by the lack of lower grade footy through this pandemic.

Last year, neither the NSW or Qld Cup competitions could be completed, this year the NSW Cup was abandoned - that's a huge blow to a club's fringe players & youngsters - the guys who would usually stake their claim for first grade spots with solid performances in the 2nd tier. It also means if injuries/suspensions bite into the squad, some of the replacements may be short a gallop (so to speak).

Once the lower tiers are running again, IMO the depth will have a chance to regenerate.

This.

When they announced a new team, there was a lot of argument about the lack of talent in the NRL given the blow outs that occurred this year and last year.

There is plenty of talent in the NRL, its just how they are coached or used in first grade. Unfortunately a lot of young players that debuted in 2020 and 2021 may not have played much football leading into their debut.

But yes once we are back to normal and both lower tier competitions are played at the full season, I'm sure the standard of footy will improve and the gap between 1st and say 9th will decrease.

Latest posts