What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Hartwood

Juniors
Problem is this has already been done, Moana Pasifika are the soon to debut Super Rugby team alongside the Fiji Drua. The idea, especially if based around Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, Cook Islands etc, is already being done by a rival and they're based out of South Auckland.

I don't think RL has the financial power to make it viable, but also most clubs have a pathway for Pacific players, all they really need to is to affiliate the PNG Hunters with an NRL club. I'd be in full support for the Hunters to link up with a potential Perth team. Gives Perth access to immediate depth, doesn't tread on any QRL or NSWRL toes and gives PNG a professional pathway.
They could also play one or two games a year in Port moresby and build a massive fanbase

siv

First Grade
Pacific non PNG needs its own comp

Be it a Champions League or State Cup style format with Fiji/Tonga/Samoa/Cook Is/Vanuatu

But I prefer a regular Pacific Cup for national teams maybe without NRL stars

MugaB

Coach
I’d get behind that
Yes all the talk of a pacific side, being based anywhere specific, the only viable area for that to happen is in New Zealand... whether its in Auckland as a city rival or Wellington or Christchurch...

As for PNG (yeahUnoME) matty johns spit balling darwin is dumb as the distance of port moresby to darwin is huge, compared to an hour directly south to cairns, where i believe will be the next 18th team...
PVL won't be expanding in WA, NT or SA.
They'll be looking at 2nd teir clubs and bids that are in NZ or QLD, now i feel if the warriors pathways set up in NZ by gould pre covid were to have continued, then my bet no.18 was indeed going to be NZ2.
But with Abdo mentioning the amount of top flight teams in QLD vs those in VIC and NSW, i can see the next club being in an area that can rival the cowboys but also drag in another nation, that being this joint cairns Northern pride/PNG hunters

Perth Red

Post Whore
“It may happen before that but that is certainly one milestone. But 17 is a natural stepping stone to 18. At 18 we have another fixture and that provides another opportunity for our fans, another 80 minutes of footy, another match in the round, another opportunity to grow fans in another market.

A670EA11-D414-4EF4-A395-55288F3E3C52.jpeg

ReddFelon

Juniors
“It may happen before that but that is certainly one milestone. But 17 is a natural stepping stone to 18. At 18 we have another fixture and that provides another opportunity for our fans, another 80 minutes of footy, another match in the round, another opportunity to grow fans in another market.

View attachment 55165

The person who makes the most sense is Nick Politis? Jesus, that threw me for a spin. Nick is right though, the whole "not enough talent" argument has been used for just about every sport around the world whenever people talk about expansion. More opportunities means more players working to make it. 20 teams would be amazing, but just get 18 to be the Pirates.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

View attachment 55165

Mate - it is certainly good to hear the NRL CEO talk like this. Very positive

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It’s not, hence why they still haven’t gone there. Tassie govt is willing to chuck millions at it but that doesn’t seem sustainable. It’s a lot of risk for little reward for the afl. They continue to plactate the tassie govt so they continue to pay the Hawks millions to take some games there.

CC is not needed for the nrl. This is where the game suffers from having a very poor second tier that is seen as not worth following as it’s just reserve grade.
I agree that CC isn't needed. A genuine NRL second division could fill gaps like this though and maybe allow some other clubs settle themselves at the right level. Could be a good use of the traditional suburban ground too. The second division could see itself catering to a slightly different market... suburban footy, nostalgia, family friendly timeslots etc.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I agree that CC isn't needed. A genuine NRL second division could fill gaps like this though and maybe allow some other clubs settle themselves at the right level. Could be a good use of the traditional suburban ground too. The second division could see itself catering to a slightly different market... suburban footy, nostalgia, family friendly timeslots etc.
Problem is NRL doesn't want anything competing with the top tier so I cant see them ever going down that road. Shame as a national second tier for independent clubs who arent big enough or ready for NRL level would be a plus for the game here.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Problem is NRL doesn't want anything competing with the top tier so I cant see them ever going down that road. Shame as a national second tier for independent clubs who arent big enough or ready for NRL level would be a plus for the game here.
It is a shame, there are many benefits of a second tier including possible boosts to broadcast content and potentially revenue.

jim_57

Staff member
A Central Coast team would be great if we had unlimited places to give away, but unless the comp goes to 22 or 24 I can’t see where they get in.

A relocation or even an agreement for a club to take 4-6 games there every year would be about the best thing to hope for.

Quidgybo

Bench
I think the next few years will determine where the 18th team is based. If Dolphins increase ratings and attendances in Brisbane then Ch9, Foxtel and ARLC will go with the Jets or Firehawks. ARLC already said both bids have a chance of getting the 18th licence. Easts mentioned in last year's annual report that they plan on having an NRL side within the next ten years.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner.

It’ll be the Firehawks because it’s the remaining bid that meets the Phil Gould definition of a properly structured, vertically integrated development club. And it’ll be called Brisbane because that’s what Nine want and they’ll be paying for this one.

Pippen94

First Grade
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner.

It’ll be the Firehawks because it’s the remaining bid that meets the Phil Gould definition of a properly structured, vertically integrated development club. And it’ll be called Brisbane because that’s what Nine want and they’ll be paying for this one.

Won't be Brisbane because 3 se qld teams won't allow it. Thinking nz 2 most likely. Location of 18th pretty much irrelevant but nz2 allows 6pm Friday slot & sky TV money

Dogs Of War

Coach
Won't be Brisbane because 3 se qld teams won't allow it. Thinking nz 2 most likely. Location of 18th pretty much irrelevant but nz2 allows 6pm Friday slot & sky TV money

Is there much more Sky TV money? I'm not sure there is. Not enough to support a team. And no aussies broadcasters will want to pay much more for them. Bit like a PNG team.

I think really the only 2 bids that are realistic are Brisbane 3 and WA just due to market size and timezone.

Pippen94

First Grade
Is there much more Sky TV money? I'm not sure there is. Not enough to support a team. And no aussies broadcasters will want to pay much more for them. Bit like a PNG team.

I think really the only 2 bids that are realistic are Brisbane 3 and WA just due to market size and timezone.

Fox & nine don't have care where location is. Sky money is additional