What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Soto

Bench
Tigers are morals for the spoon next year.
Will be without Douehi and maybe Lawrie for the beginning of the season. The recruits are nothing to be excited about plus Leilua's sledge is not unexpected about Madge...
Tim Sheens will probably give him his marching orders before the season is out

Avenger

Immortal
Oh please, as if Manu would be going anywhere now.

As for the Raiders having 2 fullbacks. Yes please Xavier Savage. But he can play on the wing for a couple of years if the Raiders wanted to keep both. We should have grabbed him earlier this years, and basically for nothing too, but I think that birdie has flown now. If he tears it up like I expect him to next season he will be the Raiders top priority to upgrade and keep.
You are right about Manu. I was just comparing salaries and what Gutho and his manager thinks he’s worth.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
McCulloch moves like Matt Keating with no legs these days lol, yeah I’m sure I’d trust that guy over Mahoney in a big game.

I’m sure if he ever plays a big game again for the Dragons I bet if you ask Dragons fans they’d prefer his big game experience over Mahoneys talent and the fact he doesn’t move like a pensioner.
Next year Mahoney's lack of experience will be less of a problem and McCullough's age will be more of a disadvantage. But we're comparing them this year, not next year.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Oh please, as if Manu would be going anywhere now.

As for the Raiders having 2 fullbacks. Yes please Xavier Savage. But he can play on the wing for a couple of years if the Raiders wanted to keep both. We should have grabbed him earlier this years, and basically for nothing too, but I think that birdie has flown now. If he tears it up like I expect him to next season he will be the Raiders top priority to upgrade and keep.
Didn't the Raiders re-sign him for multiple years? He's probably not on f**k all as you imply.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Mate even the last two years of Mahoney is at least if not better then what McCullough has produced over the same period. In big games even if Mahoney shit himself, he would at lease make his tackles and just feed the ball on, which is all that McCullough offers 49 games out of 50.

Jeez you sling some shit wrapped in Pou mediocre loving logic.
McCullough is more reliable and less injury prone than Mahoney. He also brings a lot more experience, especially in big games. All valuable qualities in the spine. Obviously he's starting to get old, but he's still a lot younger than Cam365.

lucablight

First Grade
Origin representation is a good indicator of overall quality, since every club has players that only just miss out and others that only just scrape in. It all comes out in the wash. As for McCullough, I would absolutely trust him in a big game over an inexperienced player like Mahoney. That's what McCullough brings to his team and what Mahoney doesn't. And yes Mahoney is a better player, or more accurately, a better playmaker. But the fact is he is inexperienced, which is one of his shortfalls. The reason it won't affect his price is because it will be less of a shortfall every year of his next contract. This is why young players are in such high demand - for future value, not current value.
I never said origin representation wasn’t a good indicator of quality. I said it wasn’t the be all and end all. We have a lot of good players whether they get picked for origin or not. Penrith and Melbourne may have had more origin reps than us but we have demonstrated repeatedly we can more than match it with them at our best. If our team actually played to its potential than we would some of our players would get picked for origin over the other top sides. How do you expect the selectors to pick players from a team that can’t get past week 2 of the finals and continually goes into form slumps? I put a lot of that down to the coaching staff rather than the quality of the roster. How many premierships has trustworthy McCullough won compared to Mahoney? The last time they played each other in a big game Mahoney’s team won 58-0.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Be decent cover for when Mahoney shits himself again despite making fewer tackles than Origin player McCullough.
Kermit GIF

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I never said origin representation wasn’t a good indicator of quality. I said it wasn’t the be all and end all.
Nobody said it was the be all and end all. It's dishonest of you to imply otherwise. Obviously some Kiwi (or even other) reps would walk into Origin, but these are all subjective measures. If we're measuring dicks we need to go with objective facts, which means things like Origin and finals appearances.
Penrith and Melbourne may have had more origin reps than us but we have demonstrated repeatedly we can more than match it with them at our best.
And how do you know they were at their best in those handful of games? The fact is you don't. Which is why you can't judge anything on such a small sample. Like Gould said on Twitter in response to criticism of his "Eels are only 10% chance of beating Penrith" comment. That game where we narrowly lost might've been our 1 in 10 shot of catching Penrith on an off day. We just don't know. You certainly f**king don't. So let's stick to facts like their greater number of Origin picks that year, or their superior combined experience levels in finals+Origin.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah McCullough really made a difference for Queensland in Game 2.

They were kept scoreless at suncorp for the 1st time that i can remember
Would've gone better with an Origin debutant you reckon? Does the fact they won game three prove Ben Hunt is the best hooker in Origin? You merkins have a lot to learn about analysis.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He’s talking down Mahoney just in case he leaves, just like he shit canned Junior Paulo when he left. Classic Pou, great fan.
Every player has reasons to let them go. No player is bigger than the club. And I've been off Gutherson for a long time, even after he re-signed. Paulo is my favourite player but I admit we carry him in defence.

Latest posts