What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hineyrulz

Post Whore
We shouldn’t be letting Papa / Marata / Mahoney leave in 2022.

However what if we offered Mahoney to the dogs for a Cotric swap. Cotric wouId be on a lot more then Mahoney, but dogs pick up the difference and some of his 2023 contract…..

We then pick up Hodgson from the Raiders for 2 years (Raiders wouId need to cover some of his contract). It gives us 2 years to find a hooker. Plus Hodgson can play a ball playing lock role to, which has been important under the new rules.

I know it sounds stupid, but our side lacks a bit of “smarts” in the spine ….and a old warrior like Hodgson is probably what we need. Look at what Ennis did for the Sharks when they won the comp. a lot doubted the signing but it ended being great and a big factor in them winning the comp…

additionally we get an origin quality back…and a lot of experience…
Hodgson is busted, his knees are shot. Plus the new game doesn’t suit him at all. Not even the desperate Tigers went near him.

zuke

Juniors
Quality retort splinter boy.

As if I want us to fail, there is no reason why we can’t win a comp next year. None, 2023 atm is a different story as it stands.
I honestly think that if we are clever in our recruiting we can still compete beyond 2022. The premiership window that everyone talks about is bullshit. If you can have a good team with limited injuries then you have a good chance of making the finals year in year out.

Incorrect

Coach
It’s not an option for 2022….

but mainly because it doesn’t include getting an origin quality back…

Don’t underestimate Hodgson ability even with his age…still a smart competitive player
Hodgson will probably be looking for 750K+ for season 2023 (will be lucky to get that money in the NRL but if he doesn't, I'm sure a Super League club will come up with it). Isn't he on something like 800K for the final year of his current deal?

If we weren't prepared to go over 600K for Mahoney, I'd be surprised if we coughed up over 750 for a bloke whose best footy hasn't been cited since 2019.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Hodgson is busted, his knees are shot. Plus the new game doesn’t suit him at all. Not even the desperate Tigers went near him.

maybe not, Hodgson played 20 games in 2021 averaging 75 mins / 42 tackles (Mahoney 17 games 44 mins) hardly a player who is busted with shot knees…..

He also had 10 TA / 9 LB assists (Mahoney 13/13). In a better side, Hodgson wouId offer similar or better then what Mahoney offered….

Noise

Coach
I honestly think that if we are clever in our recruiting we can still compete beyond 2022. The premiership window that everyone talks about is bullshit. If you can have a good team with limited injuries then you have a good chance of making the finals year in year out.
Having a premiership window and consistently making the finals are 2 different things. Half the comp make the finals.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Hodgson will probably be looking for 750K+ for season 2023 (will be lucky to get that money in the NRL but if he doesn't, I'm sure a Super League club will come up with it). Isn't he on something like 800K for the final year of his current deal?

If we weren't prepared to go over 600K for Mahoney, I'd be surprised if we coughed up over 750 for a bloke whose best footy hasn't been cited since 2019.
A super league club didnt offer Pearce $750k so not sure why they wouId offer that for Hodgson….

anyway of course we shouldn’t offer that amount for Hodgson that is crazy !!

But you never know what the Raiders may be willing to chip in….

Incorrect

Coach
A super league club didnt offer Pearce $750k so not sure why they wouId offer that for Hodgson….

anyway of course we shouldn’t offer that amount for Hodgson that is crazy !!

But you never know what the Raiders may be willing to chip in….
I don't think the Raiders are willing to chip in much at all. That was the sticking point on whether he was going to join the Tigers in 2022. Raiders weren't prepared to pay a significant portion of his salary. I doubt they'd be willing to do any different for a stronger club such as ours.

I get where you're coming from though. An experienced, old head in a key position might just make all the difference. But to be frank, Moses, Gutho and Junior all have significant NRL experience now and should be all the old heads we need. It's time for them to step up now.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
maybe not, Hodgson played 20 games in 2021 averaging 75 mins / 42 tackles (Mahoney 17 games 44 mins) hardly a player who is busted with shot knees…..

He also had 10 TA / 9 LB assists (Mahoney 13/13). In a better side, Hodgson wouId offer similar or better then what Mahoney offered….
Ask Raiders fans what they think of him, look up all the stats you like but they wanted him gone. He overplayed his hand constantly and with the new game it’s all about quick service, getting the all into the hands of your halves as quick as possible and running from dummy half. They looked a better team with Starling at dummy half.

Chipmunk

Coach
Why would they think that? More to the point, why would you push a narrative that the people running the club are delusional? These are bean counters. They will have weaknesses but 'delusional' would be last on the list. Ray Price is someone that might be reasonably described as delusional. I'm sure these bean counters understand how labour markets work.

They appeared to have delusions that Mahoney was going to stay with his current employer for considerably less than what is current market value was.

The clubs original offer to both Papali''i and Mahoney was around the same amount that they're supposedly paying Shaun Lane. In my opinion they are delusional if they think that is an appropriate remuneration for those two players should be the same as Shaun Lane.

hineyrulz

Post Whore

But but but his stats!!

Latest posts