What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Again confused about junior development vs being competitive, pokies don't create teams, having a huge junior base means nothing if you're not picking the eyes out of it, dogs and tigers have great junior depth, trouble is their top end roster... long contracts with mercs...
WA, should be next in line for a License, but how would they be competitive? They simply won't, so whats the point, does the NRL want a team 5 hours away that gets beat consistently, how often do we laugh about the AFL GC suns? Top down approach can happen, but why put effort into a region when all they are expecting is a hand out
Its a proven fact more investment leads to better performance. Just look at how well countries do in the Olympics that are hosting and have had massive increased investment prior.

How do you know we wont be able to sign a decent squad and be successful in our first years? Of course it will be hard, ideally the NRL would move away from its social dystopia and make it easier, but you cant say for sure one way or the other. It probably will take some years to be regularly competitive, or we might get lucky and it might not. In many ways we will be in no worse situation than the start up at the Titans or Dolphins who equally have had to go out and buy a first team squad, new coach etc etc. You mentioned the Suns but not the Giants I noted lol..

expecting a hand out seems a strange way of putting investing in growth strategies lol. NRL would be one of the few businesses that believes it can grow without actually investing much. It's a somewhat unique concept in the business world!

ReddFelon

Juniors
The AFL has no international presence whatsoever.

League does although on a smallish scale.

A second New Zealand team be it either Christchurch or Wellington.

What makes you think Perth would be generate revenue for the NRL that a second NZ wouldn't?

There's the small but big matter of 5-7 hour flights for teams to travel to Perth each week which would be economically unviable unless the league or any new Perth team is sponsored by an airline.

Look no further than Toronto's struggles in Super League (I was a Wolfpack fan).

The club lived and died out of the pockets of David Argyle who had to secure an airline to sponsor the club to afford the costs from travelling to Manchester from Canada and vice versa and that is the same distance the Warriors and any second NZ team would face going to Perth.

The Perth travel argument isn't very good. Literally every other major sport has made it work. Rugby, AFL, Soccer, Cricket, Basketball, Netball. That the poorer than poor West Coast Fever can manage it but the vastly richer NRL couldn't is laughable.

A second NZ team, especially in the South Island will not attract interest. The South Island is Rugby territory, to get any traction you would need the planets to align in a situation where the Crusaders, Tasman Makos and Canterbury to all suddenly fall apart. Even the most recent suggestion of an NZ 2 team from Hugh McGahan was for them to be linked with the Crusaders, something that NZ Rugby immediately squashed.

Wellington wouldn't work either, Hurricanes and Lions fans won't switch to League when they are one of the most competitive sides.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The AFL has no international presence whatsoever.

League does although on a smallish scale.

A second New Zealand team be it either Christchurch or Wellington.

What makes you think Perth would be generate revenue for the NRL that a second NZ wouldn't?

There's the small but big matter of 5-7 hour flights for teams to travel to Perth each week which would be economically unviable unless the league or any new Perth team is sponsored by an airline.

Look no further than Toronto's struggles in Super League (I was a Wolfpack fan).

The club lived and died out of the pockets of David Argyle who had to secure an airline to sponsor the club to afford the costs from travelling to Manchester from Canada and vice versa and that is the same distance the Warriors and any second NZ team would face going to Perth.
ah the old, its a long way away argument. Just to put it to bed, EVERY professional sports code in the country manages it. Yes EVERY one lol including sporting behemoths like baseball and ice hockey!

Toronto didnt have 60 years of RL playing history, didnt have 60k fans paying to turn up to RL events, didnt have a $13million a year NRL grant and was your typical RL shot in the dark and keep our fingers crossed exercise that even then may still be around if we didnt have global pandemic!

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
ah the old, its a long way away argument. Just to put it to bed, EVERY professional sports code in the country manages it. Yes EVERY one lol including sporting behemoths like baseball and ice hockey!

Toronto didnt have 60 years of RL playing history, didnt have 60k fans paying to turn up to RL events, didnt have a $13million a year NRL grant and was your typical RL shot in the dark and keep our fingers crossed exercise that even then may still be around if we didnt have global pandemic!
Ice hockey does it tough with the travel, I know as I have been involved with an AIHL club in the past.

How many clubs in England who have been around 150 years have 60K turning up to their games?

The two biggest clubs Wigan & St Helens barely get 11K to their games.

I get it you're desperate to have Perth in the league but while ever you have a rogue state government that has shut itself off North Korea style to the rest of the country I can't see Perth being on the radar.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ice hockey does it tough with the travel, I know as I have been involved with an AIHL club in the past.

How many clubs in England who have been around 150 years have 60K turning up to their games?

The two biggest clubs Wigan & St Helens barely get 11K to their games.

I get it you're desperate to have Perth in the league but while ever you have a rogue state government that has shut itself off North Korea style to the rest of the country I can't see Perth being on the radar.
I’m fully supportive of our stance, as hard as it has been to not be able to travel. At least we haven’t been locked down, had to wear masks p, haven’t had to close businesses, have kept the mines flowing and haven’t lost loved ones unnecessarily.

Hopefully the pandemic should be a distant memory by the time the nrl looks at next expansion.

end of day it will either decide to remain a big fish in a small pond or it will decide it’s time to grow the sport beyond its current confines. Hopefully we have a new chair and ceo by then.

And that's the fault of the evil clubs from Sydney (according to you) now is it?

You keep waffling on that's there too many clubs in Sydney yet there's more Melbourne clubs in the AFL (including Geelong).
The NRL clubs have a strong stake in the ARLC and use it to advocate for their best interests. Nine of the sixteen clubs are from Sydney. It gives the Sydney clubs a great deal of bargaining power.

I'd love to have a third team in Brisbane, a second in New Zealand and one in Perth to help make things less one-sided. I also think one or two of Sydney's smaller clubs should relocate so the remaining ones can grow larger and stronger.

I don't see why the Roosters cannot absorb the North Shore into their catchment while based at the SFS.

Manly can focus on the Northern Beaches and Central Coast, under the brand The Sea Eagles or Central Coast Sea Eagles and permanently base themselves out of Central Coast Stadium because Brookvale is a run down shithole and hard for fans to reach. It makes use of existing infrastructure at Gosford, saving the tax payer some money.

Cronulla should relocate to Adelaide so that St George can relocate permanently to Wollongong, based out of Wollongong Stadium.

South Sydney Rabbitohs can absorb Southern Sydney and Sutherland, based out of the SFS.

That cleans up Sydney while accommodating regional areas in NSW. It also brings Adelaide to the table. There would still be 8 NSWRL clubs in and around Sydney and another one based in Adelaide. Surely the game can survive in Sydney with that template.

Last edited:
Id just go back to the sustem before that Jnrs that play in the relevant state comp are eligible for that side. ie WA jnrs eligible for NSw as they played for Pirates in SG Ball. TBH the interest in Origin outside of NSW and Qlnd is just as it has become such a big sporting spectacle so dont think you necessary need strong alliance.

Whats needed is NRLVic and NRLWA to be given an extra $3mill each a year to increase particpation rates, SHS scholarship programs and elite Jnr academies, SA and NT $1mill each to get them started. WA to get a NRL team and NSW cup team and ourt media partnes to actually invest in growing the games audeinces outside the two heartland states. But thats just wishful thinking under our current regime sadly.
If we can provide kids from the Affiliate states with a pathway to Origin then it will give them a reason to choose rugby league over fumbleball, especially if we add the West Coast Pirates and relocate The Sharks to Adelaide.

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
The NRL clubs have a strong stake in the ARLC and use it to advocate for their best interests. Nine if the 16 clubs are from Sydney. Gives the Sydney clubs a great deal of power.

I'd love to have a third team in Brisbane, a second in New Zealand and one in Perth to help make things less one-sided. I also think one or two of Sydney's smaller clubs should relocate so the remaining ones can grow larger and stronger.

I don't see why the Roosters cannot absorb the North Shore into their catchment while based at the SFS.

Manly can focus on the Northern Beaches and Central Coast, under the brand The Sea Eagles or Central Coast Sea Eagles and based permanently out of Central Coast Stadium because Brookvale is a run down shithole and hard for fans to reach. It makes use of existing infrastructure at Gosford, saving the tax payer some money.

Cronulla should relocate to Adelaide so that St George can relocate permanently time to Wollongong, based out of Wollongong Stadium.

South Sydney Rabbitohs can absorb Southern Sydney and Sutherland, based out of the SFS.

That cleans up Sydney while accommodating regional areas in NSW. It also brings Adelaide to the table. There would still be 8 NSWRL clubs in and around Sydney and another one based in Adelaide. Surely the game can survive in Sydney with that template.
Another merkin from interstate who's never lived in Sydney who thinks he knows what's best for the game.

Why should a club who owns its own f**king ground and is now flush with cash thanks to a multimillion dollar property development be relocated?

I have had just about a complete gutful of the constant Cronulla hate from opposition fans and merkins in the media.

As someone who now lives in Adelaide I would cease to continue supporting the club for good if it was forced to relocate.

If that ever happened I'd love nothing more than to see the game die a horrible death in a dumpster fire.

Another merkin from interstate who's never lived in Sydney who thinks he knows what's best for the game.

Why should a club who owns its own f**king ground and is now flush with cash thanks to a multimillion dollar property development be relocated?

I have had just about a complete gutful of the constant Cronulla hate from opposition fans and merkins in the media.

As someone who now lives in Adelaide I would cease to continue supporting the club for good if it was forced to relocate.

If that ever happened I'd love nothing more than to see the game die a horrible death in a dumpster fire.
This is the funniest post I've seen on here since a Broncos fan threw a tantrum and left the board over his team not being liked by the other posters.

If you're a Sharks fan living in Adelaide then why wouldn't you support them relocating there?

It would give you the chance to see them play 12 times a year!

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
This is the funniest post I've seen on here since a Broncos fan threw a tantrum and left the board over his team not being liked by the other posters.

If you're a Sharks fan living in Adelaide then why wouldn't you support them relocating there?

It would give you the chance to see them play 12 times a year!
Because merkin I grew up in the Shire and support the club because it's CRONULLA-SUTHERLAND! Besides Adelaide Sharks is a soccer team I grew up hating (I supported Adelaide City in the old NSL due to no Shire team in that competition).

Lol Cowboys. A club that would never have won a premiership if Canterbury weren't a bunch of halfwits for letting Thurston go.

A club that was even more embarrassing than Souths were in their dark days of the 1990's.
At least I only had to wait 20 years to see my team win our first premiership.

I cannot imagine how much it would suck to support a mob who took 50 years to get their finger out after dying and being resurrected more times than Kenny McCormack...

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
At least I only had to wait 20 years to see my team win our first premiership.

I cannot imagine how much it would suck to support a mob who took 50 years to get their finger out after dying and being resurrected more times than Kenny McCormack...
One thing is guaranteed now that Thurston is retired the Cowf**kers will never win another competition again.

It's merkins like you that made me want Brisbane to win that Grand Final as much as I detest them.

Latest posts