What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

lucablight

First Grade
its interesting that moving forward over the next 5 years you's say ideally the nucleus of this side would be Penisini, Drwon, Mahoney, Marata, papallii.

Now you cant keep everyone but losing a fringe origin spine player and a dally m 2nd rower of the year in one off season is a huge step backward for the club. Even more painful considering the club is closer than ever to ending the drought.
Yeah that’s what makes losing Papali’i and Mahoney sting so much. I thought they could become part of a nucleus we could build the team around.

Surely we don’t lose Paulo. I can handle the others going but Paulo is a must re-signing. Shit will hit the fan if he goes. No excuses

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Kind of sick of this type of talk mate. We aren’t going to have any good players left if we keep trumpeting how we’re not going to get into a bidding war with “desperate clubs”. Good players cost money and we have to choose which good players we’re going to spend our cap on. It’s not my job to negotiate with players to get them to re-sign with the club. There are people at the club who get paid to do that. If all they can bring to the table is how much they can pay the player then they obviously aren’t very good negotiators. Are we going to trot out this excuse every time we lose our good players?
We already have plenty of good players, and will develop plenty more. That's why we don't have to worry when they come off contract and won't stay for unders.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
We lose Paulo and Wire Me 4 U can replace him no probs.

Stone can replace Mahoney till Matty Bald Jr is ready and papa is a one season wonder anyway.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
We lose Paulo and Wire Me 4 U can replace him no probs.

Stone can replace Mahoney till Matty Bald Jr is ready and papa is a one season wonder anyway.
Fair enough have your opinions, put crap on BA and the eels but do you really need to start posting crap about a 16 year old kid…..keep that crap to the other site Alan with your fan boys !!

hindy111

Post Whore
Junior will be 30 in 2023 so we'll have had him for the best part of his career.

You gotta move the old fellas along otherwise we lose the young fellas if we don't create spots for them

No too fussed if he goes in 2023

Stefano......

hindy111

Post Whore
Jnr going is fine by me.
He will be 29 by end of contract and is a big man. Ot sure how many good years are left in him tbh. I felt this year he looks a bit like he was slowing. 2yrs is a long time for a prop when that age. I feel like ideal would be having him for 2022 and 2023. But he will want a 3yr contract. That will take him untill the end of 2025. 4 x more years in the NRL.

I think keeping Papali was a must and letting Jnr go would of been ok. It looks like Matterson won't be here also. The whole forward pack may need replacing. The good thing is we will have plenty of cash to do it and we do not need all of them for 2023. I am more then happy to have a bit of a building year then. We could sign 1 or 2 guys then and another few for 2024.

Eelementary

Post Whore
We lost established first graders who were excelling in their positions and are replacing them with untested kids. My point is that Penrith were able to re-sign a lot of their established superstars without being subject to the same bidding wars that are ravaging our club. I’d love to know who exactly the nucleus of this club is supposed to be.

Why don't you ask the club?

Last time I checked, Penrith lost far more quality than we have - Koirosau, Kikau, and Burton are all better players than anyone we have lost. Are they slitting their wrists?

You may not like the club's strategy, and the fine - but only time will tell if it was the right approach.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Well Mitch Rein is only signed for 2022 so we don't even know if he's a replacement for Mahoney in 2023 do we?

So it's a moot point then.

Stone will spend plenty of time at dummy-half, whether you, me, or anyone else likes it, or not.

I'd rather have kept Mahoney - but I trust that the people who know every inside detail of things we, as fans, know nothing about, to make the call that is best for the club as a whole.

Noise

Coach
Why don't you ask the club?

Last time I checked, Penrith lost far more quality than we have - Koirosau, Kikau, and Burton are all better players than anyone we have lost. Are they slitting their wrists?

You may not like the club's strategy, and the fine - but only time will tell if it was the right approach.
Penrith have back to back grand finals and a premiership to show for it. No wonder they aren't slitting their wrists. We have multiple week 2 exits, a spoon and a good chunk of our roster walking out the door.

Noise

Coach
So it's a moot point then.

Stone will spend plenty of time at dummy-half, whether you, me, or anyone else likes it, or not.

I'd rather have kept Mahoney - but I trust that the people who know every inside detail of things we, as fans, know nothing about, to make the call that is best for the club as a whole.
Which is f**king laughable. He can't pass.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Penrith managed to re-sign Leota, Fisher-Harris, Crichton, Yeo, Luai a year after making a grand final. Meanwhile we made it to week 2 last season and lost our best forward for the season and our rising hooker and people are still trying to justify how we shouldn’t worry about re-signing Paulo because we’d wreck our salary cap. It’s ridiculous. You can’t tell me those Penrith players wouldn’t be worth more than a lot of our players.

They also lost Koirosau, Burton, Kikau, and May*.

Yeo is solid - nothing more. Kikau is a more dynamic player than him.

Ditto Leota - solid.

They re-signed some of their stars, but they also lost plenty of talent. They're not slitting their wrists.

Mind you - they just won a Premiership, so that probably makes things easier to digest...