What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Yes its funny how all these guys signed up within 3 weeks of being able to.
They could of left it untill after Christmas or even middle of next season. I dont think any where that loyal or fussed on staying and wanted the coin. Offers come and they took it.

Yeh, but for the players in high demand I think they realise that if they don't sign somewhere soonish their options start to dwindle, and so does their asking price.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'm not sure what overs would be for a potential superstar of the game
We know that whatever it is, a club like the Tigers would pay it. How else would they take players from stronger clubs, or even keep their own players in the face of interest from stronger clubs? I know because my club used to do the same thing.
which you blokes let go, I also believe you guys are looking at a swap with Liddle for Stone, your club seems to be losing a lot of players this season?
Next season, not this season. When you repeatedly make the finals you can expect the salary cap to bite.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I’m not talking about a team leader. I’m talking about players you can build a side around. Do you think the likes of Crichton and To’o are leaders? They’re certainly part of the group the Panthers have built their side around.
If they're not leaders how could you say they've built their side around them? Otherwise they are just good players that they have in their team. Every team has good players and the game plan will reflect that. If you lose one you replace him with someone else and adjust the game plan to match.
They won the grand final last season and just came off one of the statistically best seasons ever. You would expect them to have to shed players. We would take that in a heartbeat. In saying that they still have the likes of Papenhuyzen, Munster, Hughes, Grant, Bromwich bros, Welch, Nelson Asofa-Solomona to build their side around.
Sure, but do you recognise that they are just a stronger club than us (or anyone else)? At their best they are better than we are at our best. It's like you think we shouldn't lose players unless we're as good as the Storm. And unlike the Storm, we have to compete with nine other clubs within driving distance of our players' homes.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeh, but for the players in high demand I think they realise that if they don't sign somewhere soonish their options start to dwindle, and so does their asking price.
I think the ones who know they're being offered overs would be in a hurry to lock it in. Like if there's only big demand from one shitty club. The genuine stars with half a dozen clubs vying for them would be more likely to wait.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Yes its funny how all these guys signed up within 3 weeks of being able to.
They could of left it untill after Christmas or even middle of next season. I dont think any where that loyal or fussed on staying and wanted the coin. Offers come and they took it.

Interesting point.

But it's no coincidence that two of our players left for clubs more desperate than we are; both have been basket cases for some time now, and were in desperate need of some quick wins with their fans.

It suggests that they would have offered huge money - which would generally over-ride a player's loyalty, or desire to stay put.

Greed is good. Or so said Michael Douglas.

Tigerm

First Grade
We know that whatever it is, a club like the Tigers would pay it. How else would they take players from stronger clubs, or even keep their own players in the face of interest from stronger clubs? I know because my club used to do the same thing.

Next season, not this season. When you repeatedly make the finals you can expect the salary cap to bite.
I agree, we have finally got ourselves out of salary cap issues (for some under performing players) we have suffered, I think Hartigan was helpful with getting us back, but he just didn’t seem to land anyone of note, because he wouldn’t pay overs, Sheens appears to be different.

I think our aim is to just make the 8 first, (nothing is certain) then go from there, so good players will think about coming and our juniors get up to speed.

hindy111

Post Whore
Interesting point.

But it's no coincidence that two of our players left for clubs more desperate than we are; both have been basket cases for some time now, and were in desperate need of some quick wins with their fans.

It suggests that they would have offered huge money - which would generally over-ride a player's loyalty, or desire to stay put.

Greed is good. Or so said Michael Douglas.

The way I see it is in 2020 we had Takarangi instead of Papali'i.
Moses and Mahoney had far better years in 2021 then 2020.
Where we a lot better a side in 2021? If we where it had more to do with Moses form if ask me. I reckon we where a similar level thou. Not heaps of difference.

hindy111

Post Whore
I agree, we have finally got ourselves out of salary cap issues (for some under performing players) we have suffered, I think Hartigan was helpful with getting us back, but he just didn’t seem to land anyone of note, because he wouldn’t pay overs, Sheens appears to be different.

I think our aim is to just make the 8 first, (nothing is certain) then go from there, so good players will think about coming and our juniors get up to speed.

Stefano will play origin this year imo. Very good kid and one we f**ked up on. Losing Mahoney for 650k is fair enough or Papali'i. But Stefano for 270k was a steal.
The improvement in his game from rnd 1 to rnd 25 was huge. When kids develop that fast they are special.

Compare him to Kafusi who has had 3 seasons and only making baby steps each year.

Tigerm

First Grade
Stefano will play origin this year imo. Very good kid and one we f**ked up on. Losing Mahoney for 650k is fair enough or Papali'i. But Stefano for 270k was a steal.
The improvement in his game from rnd 1 to rnd 25 was huge. When kids develop that fast they are special.

Compare him to Kafusi who has had 3 seasons and only making baby steps each year.
Agree and is not a big head about it all.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Agree and is not a big head about it all.
super mario bros goomba GIF

emjaycee

Coach
How much did you offer? And what business do you have maybe we can support it.
I offered him a gourmet chicken burger and a Jack's Ale after every home game, not sure why he didn't go for it.
And thanks for your offer of support - the business is fine. Rheed would have been ideal for some future plans I have in mind, more than current business.

emjaycee

Coach
If he wanted to stay why rush to sign he had another year with his current contract. Lots change in a month let alone a year.
I reckon a combination of the offer from the Dogs, our desire to secure our 2023 squad as soon as possible and the fact that his manager has/had a stable of players at the Eels he wanted to get the most for, meant that the pressure to sign early was put on Reed from a few places.

Latest posts