What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
Just seen an article in Telegraph about Shepherd wanting to base the world T20 final at Accor stadium. In the end it all makes sense, we had the chance to have a proper "Wembley style rectangular" stadium. As soon as the SCG trust got involved I had a feeling it would be in their interests keeping Accor an oval.
The T20 final won't be at Homebush.

I'd be stunned if the final wasn't at the MCG.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
The problem with a stadium in Liverpool is it’s in Liverpool.

I Reside in a nearby suburb and Liverpool is a dangerous drug filled dirty shithole. The walk from the station doesn’t exactly take you past good food options unless you want rashays.

It’s a terrible option.

Just seen an article in Telegraph about Shepherd wanting to base the world T20 final at Accor stadium. In the end it all makes sense, we had the chance to have a proper "Wembley style rectangular" stadium. As soon as the SCG trust got involved I had a feeling it would be in their interests keeping Accor an oval.
Yea , Shepherd is a wanker , like most involved with the midgets & awful in NSW.
The T20 final aint being played in Sydney .

PVL has to have a serious discussion with the Govt about Homebush & the impact a roof will have on any ability to develop it in the future into a more appropriate venue for the NRL's needs.

Maybe its a good thing tho , the plans for the 1.2 Billion upgrade were puzzling & the ones for 800 million were down right alarming.
The present venue is almost beyond upgrading to any desirable point & we need to either start again there bulldozing it to the ground & build a 65K to 70K seat super rectangle stadium there or somewhere else.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yea , Shepherd is a wanker , like most involved with the midgets & awful in NSW.

PVL has to have a serious discussion with the Govt about Homebush & the impact a roof will have on any ability to develop it in the future into a more appropriate venue for the NRL's needs.

Maybe its a good thing tho , the plans for the 1.2 Billion upgrade were puzzling & the ones for 800 million were down right alarming.
The present venue is almost beyond upgrading to any desirable point & we need to either start again there bulldozing it to the ground & build a 65K to 70K seat super rectangle stadium there or somewhere else.
Potentially it might make it easier? Going off the last proposal to bring the stands in and make them steeper, with a full roof you can still do that but at least everything will be undercover now and you can bring them right up to the pitch edges that’s presuming they didn’t need to do anything with the outer structure and roof to do that which it didn’t look like they did.

re Vlandys, he wanted the money spending on suburban grounds, the nsw govt is giving him what he asked for so not sure he has any legs to now complain to them about anz.

LineBall

Juniors

Bulldoze it and build something like Tottenham Hotspurs new stadium which has a capacity of just over 62k. (Except try and do if for less than 1B Pounds if possible).

T-Boon

Coach
A 75k - 80k rectangular stadium at homebush would have been really great. The GF and origin experiences would have been significantly better. As it is now the casual GF and SOO attendees walk away less likely to go to club games as the view sucks so bad.

It has been a real team effort to make sure it didn't happen. AFL, NRL, NRL clubs etc.

t-ba

Post Whore
The problem with a stadium in Liverpool is it’s in Liverpool.

I Reside in a nearby suburb and Liverpool is a dangerous drug filled dirty shithole. The walk from the station doesn’t exactly take you past good food options unless you want rashays.

It’s a terrible option.

Surry Hills was pretty shitty twenty years ago. Shannon Reserve on Foveaux street used to be littered with used Sharps. Now it's the home of the twenty bajillion dollar two bedroom terrace.

Not that it would necessarily happen everywhere but areas do improve rapidly.

Marlins

Juniors
I think it’s stupid for one, to upgrade Homebush in its current condition, and two, if we are building a new Homebush from scratch don’t reduce the size. I say tear it down and build the best 100k seat rectangular stadium this world has seen. Only use for SOO, GF, Big Sydney derby finals, Internationals(Big soccer matches), and matches like Good Friday, Easter Monday, Anzac etc.
that’s goal, think big not small.

T-Boon

Coach
Newcastle's stadium is 350 metres from it's most important train station, comes of a pretty crucial road junction of Turton st and Griffiths road.

But the real answer is... it's cheaper to build a pub or two across the road from Newcastle stadium, that it is to build a new stadium...... so much so, the private sector will likely stump up the cash for the pub if there are business condiotns which make it viable...
Broadmeadow either side of Griffiths Rd (such as the Sunnyside Tavern) should/could become the night life area of Newy. The city itself is all units plus the east enders don't want any kids in town after dinner time. Add to that trams out to the stadium area in the future.
The Knights/Wests should buy go-karts-go and the putt putt golf and also build a little pub/club in that area and shift across some slot machines from Wests.
Turn that corner down to broadmeadow station into the Knights/Night life precinct.

In terms of the logic an upgrade of the ends there is more to it than just potential world cups. We also want the state to encourage tourism within the state from city to city. So Hunter Stadium should be a place that can attract people from the central coast all the way to Sydney and can be used for state of origin (dead rubbers) and other bigish sports events.

Also the Knights do get capacity or very close to in the grand stands often through the season. If Hunter stadium had ends like Parra stadium (where the views are better than the views in the sides) they would go close to getting capacity a lot.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
Stadium Australia will happen eventually. This round of funding is correctly going to the suburban grounds. The previous plans to reduce the capacity of Stadium Australia were terrible. It needs to be 80-90K rectangle. Complete rebuild.

I have no doubt this will happen in the future especially if Australia plans to bid for future world cups (although our chances of winning are very slim, Stadium Australia will be needed as the centrepiece for the final).

re Vlandys, he wanted the money spending on suburban grounds, the nsw govt is giving him what he asked for so not sure he has any legs to now complain to them about anz.
he has if they're not spending all the 800 million promised to improve homebush, on the suburban grounds & instead diverting some to an idiotic roof there

Last edited:
I think it’s stupid for one, to upgrade Homebush in its current condition, and two, if we are building a new Homebush from scratch don’t reduce the size. I say tear it down and build the best 100k seat rectangular stadium this world has seen. Only use for SOO, GF, Big Sydney derby finals, Internationals(Big soccer matches), and matches like Good Friday, Easter Monday, Anzac etc.
that’s goal, think big not small.
100K is too big for a rectangle venue , with people in the bleaches as far away as people at homebush now

something between 70 & 80K would be perfect

Stadium Australia will happen eventually. This round of funding is correctly going to the suburban grounds. The previous plans to reduce the capacity of Stadium Australia were terrible. It needs to be 80-90K rectangle. Complete rebuild.

I have no doubt this will happen in the future especially if Australia plans to bid for future world cups (although our chances of winning are very slim, Stadium Australia will be needed as the centrepiece for the final).
I agree but do you think it’ll still need a couple of permanent residents? It’ll need to have something on nearly every weekend to help it get past the outrage brigade. A couple of internationals here and there, finals and rep footy as well as a couple of concerts won’t be enough to get it over the line, I fear. I know we’re talking into the future here but I’m confident that the pollies will be just as gutless then as they are now.

macavity

Referee
Problem McDonald Jones Stadium or whatever the f**k its called now is miles out of town.

Nearly 2km from the nearest railway station and two parts of f**k all to go to outside the ground in terms of pubs and restaurants.

our stadium is a 5 minute level walk from Wests Leagues… aka a huge monstrosity of a club (which also has a pub next door).

there are also nice pubs a 5 minute walk in any direction from the stadium.

it’s a great location if you are a local and know where you are going.

Newcastle city proper is on a tiny peninsula between the harbour and the beach, and is full of units inhabited by boomers who complain about noise after 7pm. Even number 2 sports ground would be a ridiculous choice for the city’s main stadium.

Perth Red

Post Whore
he has if they're not spending all the 800 million promised to improve homebush, on the suburban grounds & instead diverting some to an idiotic roof there
I doubt there was ever a guaranteed amount. In fact focussing on suburban grounds and a anz roof may save the state govt some money, we’ll done vlad for thinking of the tax payer lol.

if anz is costing $120 and they are just doing up the four proposed grounds rather new stadiums then final bill could be well under the $800mill

Last edited:
I have been watching these forums for many years, and have seen your comments.
as I have previously stated, there are plenty of fans for clubs in Sydney, that don’t travel.
Having team sharing home grounds or facilities away from their own territories, making teams travel to stadiums outside the area, would lose fans, which would have an effect on sponsorships, which means less funds available for clubs.
I see where you are trying to go with it; however you have tunnel vision on this point, and Miss the big picture. Fans = $$
The big $$ for the game is coming from NSW, more to the point, sydney.

it would be a step backward, forcing teams to play the same facilities.
Bulldogs want to go back to belmore, and it is more common sense for tigers to move out to a good facility on Campbelltown, where the play at least one game a year at liechardt.
Dragons would move to the gong, and have the one game at Kogarah.
both Kogarah and liechardt are now heavily surrounded by housing, and would be extremely difficult to develop further with infrastructure restrictions.
Sharks will be staying shark park and have the capability and capacity for extra improvements to stadium to ensure it is a niche stadium capable of a 18-20k.

Wollongong is pretty new still, though had some issues being extremely close to the shore line.
Penrith and Campbelltown, likewise to manly that require a refurb.
What I'm getting from this thread is Sydney RL fans won't travel long distances to see their clubs play, so the NRL needs to have 9 or 10 clubs scattered around the Sydney metropolitan area to cater to everyone. This policy will kill the game because it a) forces other heartland areas to be under served and b) prevents expansion into new markets. It's a classic example of lunatics running an asylum.

How about this proposal?

A brand new stadium in Penrith to go with Parramatta Stadium and the SFS to cover three important locations. The refurb of Stadium Australia in Homebush makes it four locations. That works nicely for Penrith Panthers, Parramatta Eels, Sydney Roosters, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Canterbury Bulldogs and Wests Tigers to grow their fanbase by playing out of quality stadiums.

I don't think any money should be wasted on Brookvale, Endeavour, Kogarah and Leichhardt. Manly can relocate north to Gosford and play out of its quality stadium as the Central Coast Sea Eagles.

Dragons can move to Wollongong to become the Illawarra Dragons, with a bit of money spent on building a grand stand on its eastern terrace, provided it's safe to do so given its proximity to the sea.

Sharks to Adelaide.

West Coast Pirates get the 18th licence. 19th and 20th licences go to NZ 2 and Brisbane 3.

This footprint will add money into our game. The Sydney teams don't bring much money into the game. The Dolphins signed a sponsorship deal that dwarfs almost every club in Sydney, despite not playing a game until 2023. Cowboys, Storm, Broncos and Titans have more lucrative sponsorship deals than the Sydney clubs. Storm, Broncos and Cowboys are watched on TV by more people across the nation than the Sydney clubs.

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
What I'm getting from this thread is Sydney RL fans won't travel long distances to see their clubs play, so the NRL needs to have 9 or 10 clubs scattered around the Sydney metropolitan area to cater to everyone. This policy will kill the game because it a) forces other heartland areas to be under served and b) prevents expansion into new markets. It's a classic example of lunatics running an asylum.

How about this proposal?

A brand new stadium in Penrith to go with Parramatta Stadium and the SFS to cover three important locations. The refurb of Stadium Australia in Homebush makes it four locations. That works nicely for Penrith Panthers, Parramatta Eels, Sydney Roosters, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Canterbury Bulldogs and Wests Tigers to grow their fanbase by playing out of quality stadiums.

I don't think any money should be wasted on Brookvale, Endeavour, Kogarah and Leichhardt. Manly can relocate north to Gosford and play out of its quality stadium as the Central Coast Sea Eagles.

Dragons can move to Wollongong to become the Illawarra Dragons, with a bit of money spent on building a grand stand on its eastern terrace, provided it's safe to do so given its proximity to the sea.

Sharks to Adelaide.

West Coast Pirates get the 18th licence. 19th and 20th licences go to NZ 2 and Brisbane 3.

This footprint will add money into our game. The Sydney teams don't bring much money into the game. The Dolphins signed a sponsorship deal that dwarfs almost every club in Sydney, despite not playing a game until 2023. Cowboys, Storm, Broncos and Titans have more lucrative sponsorship deals than the Sydney clubs. Storm, Broncos and Cowboys are watched on TV by more people across the nation than the Sydney clubs.
That’s my way of thinking as well mate. If we could go back in time to the end of the super league wars I would have liked to have seen the following :-

bulldogs and magpies merge to form the western bulldogs/west Sydney bulldogs eventually playing out of a new build stadium in Liverpool.

manly relocated to the central coast to become the central coast sea eagles.

balmain relocated to Brisbane and merge with East’s tigers to become the brisbane tigers.

st George dragons merge with Illawarra to become the Illawarra dragons playing out of WIN stadium fulltime.

cronulla sharks relocated to either Perth or Adelaide to become either the Perth sharks or Adelaide sharks.

which leaves the bears, panthers, eels, roosters and south’s as standalone Sydney sides.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Problem with the tribal, suburban approach is we still have 6 clubs in Sydney with inadequate facilities. Bit of an ask, on top of two brand new stadiums, to expect the tax payer to pick up the tab for upgrading a further six private companies facilities.

Latest posts