What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

The travel times anywhere in Sydney was one of a few reasons I've never regretted moving away.

If I went to a night game either league, union or AFL up there when I still lived at home, I wouldn't get back to the Shire until midnight.
That's what happens to me when I leave from Rochedale South in north-east Logan to get to Lang Park to watch The Cowboys play The Donkeys. It takes me well over an hour. Probably more like 1hr 30 min. Maybe longer, depending on traffic and waiting times at Eight Miles Plains Bus Station. Finding a park is a minor miracle.

I had a look at the commute times for North Ipswich (Ipswich Jets), Coorparoo (Easts Tigers) and Redcliffe (Redcliffe Dolphins) to Lang Park. Coorparoo to Lang Park is 26 minutes. North Ipswich to Lang Park is 1hr 17min. Redcliffe to Lang Park is 2 hr 6 min.

I think we know why News Ltd wanted The Dolphins to get the licence ahead of The Firehawks.

How the f**k is anyone from Redcliffe going to get to Lang Park on a Thursday night to see The Dolphins play?

MugaB

Coach
I wish you lot would make up your mind!

All I ever hear from Sydney RL fans is that the reason crowds for RL games in Sydney are shit is because it's hard to get to games. They say it's much easier to get to Lang Park and Melbourne Rectangular Arena. For this reason we need a heap of clubs and stadiums throughout the city.

Your post confirms that the reasons given by Sydney RL fans for games in Sydney drawing shit crowds have no basis in reality. Thank you for proving that Sydney RL fans are liars with an agenda. I guess we don't need a new stadium in Penrith or an upgrade to Leichhardt, Brookvale, Endeavor, Kogarah or any other ground. Just have all teams play out of the SFS and Parramatta Stadium as it's so easy for people to get to them. Remember, you said so!

I guess there's no reason to have nine clubs throughout Sydney since it's so easy to get from Blacktown to the SFS, yeah?

Since we don't need nine teams in Sydney, due to it having such wonderful transport that makes it easy to get from Penrith to Parramatta Stadium, let's revoke some licences so we can get teams in Adelaide and Perth!

😛
Find me the quote here "I SAID" any of this, YOUR DUMB QLD Agenda/war on sydney fans of the game has diluted your train of thought, ive never complained about travel to any away games other than brookvale, because its isolated, but i drove there anyways, i live in parramatta and have no issues watching panthers games at Penrith or away at a local sydney ground, you seem to be attacking everyone you think argues anything to do with keeping the comp and its current clubs as is, hell your so dumb, that your name is "get rid of the donkeys" which is the closest club to your locality (assuming you are still living in the logan area) yet you put shit on sydney fans who are happy to commute to random areas in Sydney to watch games friviously, i occasionally watch tigers, dragons and sharks games as my close mates support them, travelling to kogarah, campbelltown, liechardt, and cronulla, and they come with me to penrith too.. this whole argument about traveling is moot due to it depending on who follows which team, and how often you go to a live game, compared to watching it at a pub with mates or at home.
Crowds are not the barometer for worthiness of a license, the competition fluctuates in who is successful in any given decade, depending on the rosters, but even teams who have won/made GFs consistently like the storm, roosters, manly find it hard to keep decent crowds, look at the bulldogs wooden spooners yet roster changes could see them changing fortunes and climb the ladder, thus increasing their crowds... if your teams is going shithouse, then so will your crowds

Find me the quote here "I SAID" any of this, YOUR DUMB QLD Agenda/war on sydney fans of the game has diluted your train of thought, ive never complained about travel to any away games other than brookvale, because its isolated, but i drove there anyways, i live in parramatta and have no issues watching panthers games at Penrith or away at a local sydney ground, you seem to be attacking everyone you think argues anything to do with keeping the comp and its current clubs as is, hell your so dumb, that your name is "get rid of the donkeys" which is the closest club to your locality (assuming you are still living in the logan area) yet you put shit on sydney fans who are happy to commute to random areas in Sydney to watch games friviously, i occasionally watch tigers, dragons and sharks games as my close mates support them, travelling to kogarah, campbelltown, liechardt, and cronulla, and they come with me to penrith too.. this whole argument about traveling is moot due to it depending on who follows which team, and how often you go to a live game, compared to watching it at a pub with mates or at home.
Crowds are not the barometer for worthiness of a license, the competition fluctuates in who is successful in any given decade, depending on the rosters, but even teams who have won/made GFs consistently like the storm, roosters, manly find it hard to keep decent crowds, look at the bulldogs wooden spooners yet roster changes could see them changing fortunes and climb the ladder, thus increasing their crowds... if your teams is going shithouse, then so will your crowds
I never accused you of saying it. I am going by what I've heard other Sydney RL fans say, especially on The Roar.

The ARLC sold the GF to the NSW Government for 25 years in exchange for more stadiums around Sydney because they refuse to use a centralised model like Melbourne and Brisbane. If Penrith gets a new stadium to match Parramatta Stadium, SFS and Stadium Australia then that will make it four locations.

Does one city really need four stadiums?

What's the reason for all these stadiums if traveling from one side of Sydney to the other is so easy?

Renovating Brookvale and Leichhardt is a waste of money and time. Just have Manly play at the SFS and Central Coast. Tigers and Bulldogs can play at Parramatta Stadium. Sharks can play at SFS. Problem solved.

MugaB

Coach
Except it doesn't take 2 hours and 6 mins. I can do that drive right now in just under 40 mins in peak hour. There's also a train from Kippa Ring or Shorncliffe to Roma St that has express services running (from Shorncliffe) to make it a pretty easy trip.
Yeah train timetables via GROTD... seriously ...

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
I just had a look at commuting times on Google Maps.

Hurstville to SFS is 48 min.

Manly to SFS is 1hr 12 min.

Cronulla to SFS 1hr 33 min.

Canterbury to SFS in 54 min.

Campbelltown to SFS in 1 hr 30 min.

North Sydney to SFS in 36 min.

Penrith to SFS in 2hr 21 min.

Parramatta to SFS in 1 hr 8 min.
Spouting google maps on sydney travel from up in bumfk logan
I mean wtf is in Hurstville? Do you mean Carlton? Or Kogarah? And what game are we watching in North Sydney

horrie hastings

First Grade
Any talk where the City West Metro will go after it gets to the city ?

At the momemt it has it going as far as Wynyard or a seperate station at Hunter St right near Wynyard, you would think they would want it to continue on to other suburbs , Zetland has all those high rises now and a couple of crummy buses servicing it.

Tell me you don't understand Sydney RL without telling me you don't understand Sydney RL.
If it's good enough for Redcliffe to play at Lang Park, despite being over 2 hrs away, then why shouldn't Manly play at the SFS?

It's only 1hr 30min from Manly to SFS, according to Google Maps.

It's a massive double standard.

52 minutes according to my own Google Maps calculations.

Probably even shorter if one factors in the light rail.
Times seem to vary on Google Maps. I just did another search and got 1hr 8min. Other than having the burden of changing services and needing to be punctual, it's a doable travel for a committed Manly fan.

horrie hastings

First Grade
52 minutes according to my own Google Maps calculations.

Probably even shorter if one factors in the light rail.

Lets see, 52 min would be getting a ferry at Manly Wharf then the light rail to the SFS. The peninsula is a lot bigger than just Manly.

Manly wharf to Brookvale Oval is about 25 mins by public transport.

The times i have been to Brookvale Oval i have never really factored the time in to getting there, from St Peters i get a train to the Quay, Ferry to Manly then bus to Brookie, coming back i can do the same in reverse or get a bus from Brookie into York st or QVB then train back from there. One time when i was getting the bus back in from Brookie to York st the traffic was virtually at a stand still from the Spit Bridge till almost the harbour bridge approach, the bus driver let one guy off who was dying for a pee and he got on at the next stop, the whole bus was clapping.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Who has a ground with a capacity of 11k?

Probably only the Dolphins ground.
But even before covid they capped the crowds at a few of the suburban grounds, Leichhardt and Brookvale capacity were slashed, not to 11, 000 but probably around 14-15, 000 when both grounds can hold 20,000.
Not that is much footy played at Belmore now but it is capped at 12,000.

Latest posts