What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Noise

Coach
You've missed so much its laughable.

Only paid money to Aus bushfire after being called out by another tennis player.
Feigned injury early in his career (in all 4 majors) when he wasn't good enough to beat Federer.
Propogates irresponsible pseudo science
Breaks racquets and screams in Serbian
Disgraceful Adria Tour bullshit
Gave everyone COVID
Nearly killed a ball boy at the US Open and was disqualified
F**ked off and didn't try to explain his unfathomable conduct
Selfish Antivaxxer
Lied to try and enter our country
Supported a wife beater tennis player
Disgusting arrogant grandstanding imbecile parents
Questionable medical timeouts
Tries to engineer his own bullshit recovery stories
I like this one ...

Avenger

Immortal
What about the box that he ticked ? The shirtless dancing in the night club. The belief that he can change the composition of water by thought. Why was that rehashed ad nauseam during the week, usually with a loaded poll?

What did that actually achieve? That’s right. Hate and Pressure on the government to do something no matter how ridiculous and under what section again? What’s the main and real issue again you f**king dopes?

There are a number of exceptions and these people know who they are especially on this forum but most of you here and the Australian public are nothing more than f**king sheep. You are a f**king disgrace.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Agree with the statement from the Serbian PM.

Shouldn't have shifted the goal posts once we originally OK'd him. Another in a long line of f**k ups from the Federal Government.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
What a silly statement. They did try to return him immediately. Novak then took the Fed Gov to court.
The Feds did it because they changed the rules and made it their issue rather than the state's issue. Novak was already approved to arrive. The feds didn't originally want anything to do with Border Issues and then decided they could get some mileage out of this given the original public backlash from people like @Avenger, stepped in and f**ked everything up.

Gronk

Staff member
???? He had no right to cross the border in the first place? The minister has effectively conceded all of the points on which the visa was initially revoked.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/austra...-order-and-public-health-20220114-p59oex.html

They've just created a martyr out of the f**kwit.
I would have thought that you of all people could have seen the minister’s decision for what it really is. It is a road map written by lawyers who have been given a job to navigate their way through the Federal Court with the end game being his deportation. They have not gone down the perilous path of questioning the validity of his purported exemption and the professionals who certified them, rather they have seen strength in the minister having the right to make a call and made it very hard for the court to argue against it.

That’s they way I see it anyway.

Happy MEel

First Grade
The Feds did it because they changed the rules and made it their issue rather than the state's issue. Novak was already approved to arrive. The feds didn't originally want anything to do with Border Issues and then decided they could get some mileage out of this given the original public backlash from people like @Avenger, stepped in and f**ked everything up.
I understand all that, but that statement seems to take issue with the fact he wasn’t sent home immediately. That was of his own doing and he was (and still is) free to leave whenever he likes.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Hate and Pressure on the government to do something no matter how ridiculous and under what section again? What’s the main and real issue again you f**king dopes?
These sorts of statements when the exemption was originally announced is ultimately what gave Scomo the political opportunist the courage to intervene and deny Novak entry.

I’m a proud Australian with a Serbian background and I love going back to the old country every so often. I really enjoy myself and have true affection with my country of birth. However when I read about this exemption it simply does not pass the pub test and I realise just how Australian I am. Novak is a great tennis player but his stance and this exemption is bullshit.

You are missing the point. It's not about if he is vaccinated or not, whether he will infect anyone or not. He is a queue jumper and made no sacrifices like the poor bastards had to endure in Victoria. His sense of entitlement is what pisses people off.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I would have thought that you of all people could have seen the minister’s decision for what it really is. It is a road map written by lawyers who have been given a job to navigate their way through the Federal Court with the end game being his deportation. They have not gone down the perilous path of questioning the validity of his purported exemption and the professionals who certified them, rather they have seen strength in the minister having the right to make a call and made it very hard for the court to argue against it.

That’s my take as well. They’ve just gone with the argument that presents the best chance of holding up in court and resolving the matter quickly.

Gronk

Staff member
That’s my take as well. They’ve just gone with the argument that presents the best chance of holding up in court and resolving the matter quickly.
Their adopted argument has been upheld in the past and they will rely on those precedents.

Avenger

Immortal
These sorts of statements when the exemption was originally announced is ultimately what gave Scomo the political opportunist the courage to intervene and deny Novak entry.
Isn’t that my point?

They shouldn’t have let him in, in the first place and I have always stated that I don’t agree with his vaccination stance. Why did I say that? Because he was a risk to the community. That was our position. But that horse has bolted. Now he is here and omicron is rampant. They f**ked it up so they rehashed all his crap which is now irrelevant but not to the media. They made his antics a tool to hate him so that the government takes action. What happened? They did. Everyone hates him even more now. However by their own admission it’s not about him giving covid to anyone it’s about him creating a mob mentality by him still being here. What will happen to the mob when they leave? Will they be calm? That’s the crux of the defence case. It makes no difference whether he is here or not (now) the horse has f**king bolted.

And I never hated him I just think he should not have been given the visa in the first place. Never did I say initially he should be allowed in. Can’t you see the delineation between the two?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
well if this isn't one of the biggest political f**ks I've ever heard of, I don't know what is

I was pubbing when it broke and as with most current controversies, every has an opinion

oddly enough, most people are on one side or the other, can't remember an issue like this where most people don't support either side of the argument

Avenger

Immortal
And they didn’t even argue his vaccination when he won his federal court matter. Because it was irrelevant. He won his matter due to a lack of procedural fairness. Even in the current hearing it’s still not about whether he is vaccinated or not at least in a physical sense. It’s about what those crazy Serbs might do and the rest of the anti vaxxers if he stays. However the stupid government led by Scomo and his dopes didn’t consider what would happen if he is deported. That’s the binary argument that the smart legal team are using and it carries weight.

If he is deported the tournament will go on without him and some people will be pissed. Why hasn’t Hawke considered that? His reasoning is fundamentally flawed because it only considers one side of a scenario which is common in this government’s policy on all things but especially with responding to this pandemic.

It’s called not conducting a proper risk assessment and again they have demonstrated that they are basically incompetent.

That may be correct, but what has the got to do with whether he had a right to cross the border in the first place? That is the specific point I a making. The fact that the Commonwealth rolled over in the original appeal hearing on the basis of the due process thing, and chose not to respond on any other grounds tells you everything you need to know. They'd rather selectively leak arguments to the media, even if they know those arguments will not hold much water in court.

Avenger

Immortal
well if this isn't one of the biggest political f**ks I've ever heard of, I don't know what is

I was pubbing when it broke and as with most current controversies, every has an opinion

oddly enough, most people are on one side or the other, can't remember an issue like this where most people don't support either side of the argument
It’s not about if he wins in court or not. Whatever happens will cause international condemnation and there will be anti vaccination sentiment in lieu of the court outcome. They are stuck in hole of their own making and they keep digging.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
It’s not about if he wins in court or not. Whatever happens will cause international condemnation and there will be anti vaccination sentiment in lieu of the court outcome. They are stuck in hole of their own making and they keep digging.

of course not, I was talking about what's happened so far and it may actually get worse if that's at all possible.

I haven't really followed it that closely like you as I don't really tennis, but I don't think we could have handled this any worse than we did

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Isn’t that my point?

They shouldn’t have let him in, in the first place and I have always stated that I don’t agree with his vaccination stance. Why did I say that? Because he was a risk to the community. That was our position. But that horse has bolted. Now he is here and omicron is rampant. They f**ked it up so they rehashed all his crap which is now irrelevant but not to the media. They made his antics a tool to hate him so that the government takes action. What happened? They did. Everyone hates him even more now. However by their own admission it’s not about him giving covid to anyone it’s about him creating a mob mentality by him still being here. What will happen to the mob when they leave? Will they be calm? That’s the crux of the defence case. It makes no difference whether he is here or not (now) the horse has f**king bolted.

And I never hated him I just think he should not have been given the visa in the first place. Never did I say initially he should be allowed in. Can’t you see the delineation between the two?
No. That's not what you said. You said this:

"It's not about if he is vaccinated or not, whether he will infect anyone or not. He is a queue jumper and made no sacrifices like the poor bastards had to endure in Victoria. His sense of entitlement is what pisses people off."

Your argument was about how he was seeking an exemption when everyone else has followed the rules. Those sorts of comments were very common at the time and in my view contributed signicantly to the Feds stepping in to try and address this perceived injustice.

Because they handled it so poorly many people (yourself included) chose to ignore that initial perceived injustice that many other tennis players have been quietly seething about and instead focused on the perceived injustice now faced by Novak at the hands of the Feds. However, the original injustice didn't disappear despite how poorly the government handled the situation.

Also, I wouldn't place too much weight on the court decision or pretend that issues related to Section 116 were not considerations that needed to be made. As others have flagged, the lawyers were looking for the quickest way to try and kill this off. Nothing more, nothing less. Relying on precedence as Gronk pointed out seemed to be their strategy.

Avenger

Immortal
of course not, I was talking about what's happened so far and it may actually get worse if that's at all possible.

I haven't really followed it that closely like you as I don't really tennis, but I don't think we could have handled this any worse than we did
It’s not about tennis anymore. It’s about the mismanagement of everything that this government does.