What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prediction poll - who will get the 18th team?

Who will be the 18th NRL team?

• Brisbane Firehawks

• Brisbane Jets

• Brisbane other bid (including merged Firehawks/Jets - please specify)

• Perth

• Wellington

• Christchurch

• The Bears

• Other (Please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Great Dane

First Grade
It is unfortunate. Is there another animal synonymous with WA?
Seadragons.

Though they're found across the south coast of Australia they're commonly associated with WA, and the Ruby Seadragon is endemic to WA and is found off the coast of Perth.

In other words take Albany's brand and run with it.
271164901_1126178251525747_5410477502514048324_n.jpg

Pippen94

First Grade
It wasn’t because of Sydney teams. But we have had that discussion before.

I can't remember, but if you said anything other than Sydney viewership being driving force behind broadcast deal then you were wrong

Pippen94

First Grade
Seadragons.

Though they're found across the south coast of Australia they're commonly associated with WA, and the Ruby Seadragon is endemic to WA and is found off the coast of Perth.

In other words take Albany's brand and run with it.
271164901_1126178251525747_5410477502514048324_n.jpg

Great, doesn't overlap with an existing logo of say a club which has the most premierships & is maybe the most famous brand in the sport..

Colk

First Grade
I can't remember, but if you said anything other than Sydney viewership being driving force behind broadcast deal then you were wrong

Driving force? A significant factor sure but driving force is a fairly big overstatement.
The use of driving force would suggest that there are no other factors, or that those other factors are fairly insignificant, which is patently false.

Check the clubs with the biggest viewerships and the biggest supporter bases. Besides a few like Parramatta or Souths, they aren’t in Sydney.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Great, doesn't overlap with an existing logo of say a club which has the most premierships & is maybe the most famous brand in the sport..
There're no similarities between the two aside from having dragon in the name, only hopeless mouth breathers would confuse the two.

Besides there're ways that you could carry the brand without calling the team "the Seadragons", thus avoiding having the Seadragons and Dragons in the same competition. You could call them Perth United RLFC for example and just use a seadragon as their mascot.

BTW, the Dragons don't have the most premierships in the NRL, and I highly doubt that they are the most recognisable RL brand either.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well WA had Australias only officially recognised pirate, so maybe something like west coast pirates?

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
It makes me wonder what they hope to achieve. The Sydney-centric NSWRL/ARL/NRL has a history of admitting teams from outside of NSW specifically to generate revenue to bail out broke Sydney clubs. They never do anything for the good of rugby league outside of Sydney.
Not just that, State of Origin too.

Once it became apparent that SoO could become very lucrative (after some one-off games), the NSW administrators got "on board" with the 3-match annual series format that we know & love today - after years of pressure from Queensland to adopt Origin qualification rules.

Makes me think that if NRL HQ had more Queenslanders in charge, we might actually get a more forward-thinking agenda.

Once it became apparent that SoO could become very lucrative (after some one-off games), the NSW administrators got "on board" with the 3-match annual series format that we know & love today - after years of pressure from Queensland to adopt Origin qualification rules.

Makes me think that if NRL HQ had more Queenslanders in charge, we might actually get a more forward-thinking agenda.
The NSWRL and Sydney media labelled the QRL and Queenslanders as stupid for wanting to replace the old representative games with State of Origin. I hear similar sentiments on here from Sydneysiders whenever people talk about replacing small and unwanted Sydney clubs with viable clubs from Adelaide, Brisbane, NZ and Perth.

The Great Dane

First Grade

We've had Queenslanders in positions of power (Grant and Beattie in the last ten years), and they've either towed the line (John Grant) or fallen into the same patterns of insular thinking except to the benefit of Queensland/Brisbane first and foremost (Peter Beattie).

In other words where people are from is irrelevant, it's their ideology and attitudes to business that matters. In the NRL's case it's a total lack of entrepreneurialism that is the core of most of it's issues.

The Great Dane

First Grade
The NSWRL and Sydney media labelled the QRL and Queenslanders as stupid for wanting to replace the old representative games with State of Origin. I hear similar sentiments on here from Sydneysiders whenever people talk about replacing small and unwanted Sydney clubs with viable clubs from Adelaide, Brisbane, NZ and Perth.
Replace those Sydneysiders with the average Brisbanenite RL type and all you would achieve is to replace some of those 'small and unwanted' suburban Sydney clubs, with some 'small and unwanted' suburban Brisbane clubs. The Dolphins being case and point.

Replace those Sydneysiders with the average Brisbanenite RL type and all you would achieve is to replace some of those 'small and unwanted' suburban Sydney clubs, with some 'small and unwanted' suburban Brisbane clubs. The Dolphins being case and point.
I'm biased in favour of the BRL clubs, but I'm starting to really warm to having Perth, NZ 2 and Adelaide as the next three markets to enter the NRL. The more I learn about Perth the more convinced I am that they deserve a team ASAP. It's ridiculous that such a large and parochial market has been ignored by our game's administration for almost a quarter of a century.

Hopefully Redcliffe can develop a strong fanbase from Moreton Bay down through Moreton Bay and Logan. It won't be easy and will take some time, but with the right engagement it can be done. I've bought their supporter gear and will become a member when memberships go on sale in a couple of months.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I'm biased in favour of the BRL clubs, but I'm starting to really warm to having Perth, NZ 2 and Adelaide as the next three markets to enter the NRL. The more I learn about Perth the more convinced I am that they deserve a team ASAP. It's ridiculous that such a large and parochial market has been ignored by our game's administration for almost a quarter of a century.

Hopefully Redcliffe can develop a strong fanbase from Moreton Bay down through Moreton Bay and Logan. It won't be easy and will take some time, but with the right engagement it can be done. I've bought their supporter gear and will become a member when memberships go on sale in a couple of months.
They've f**ked their launch up so badly that it will probably take at least a generation (roughly 20 years) for them to build a strong fanbase, and unless it's pushed by outside socio-economic factors (like South's core audience moving west) they'll almost certainly never develop a significant fanbase outside of parts of Morton Bay, those with easy access to Suncorp/their home ground, and potentially parts of North Brisbane if they play their cards right. Their traditional model simply won't allow for that sort of city wide growth without alienating their core audience in Redcliffe and surrounding parts of Moreton Bay, which they, like all RL clubs, will be too timid to risk alienating.

They're almost certainly going to follow a similar path to the Titans (for different reasons and probably minus the money issues), where they'll be super popular for the first few seasons, then the novelty will wear off and they'll be reliant on on-field results to draw a crowd until either enough people have grown up supporting the club to build a reliable fanbase, or they have a golden period early in their history in the NRL where they build a dynasty and that success draws support (a la Storm or Raiders). Obviously the prior is the much more likely scenario.

Because of the way the Brisbane market has now been split chances are that Brisbane will have at least a third club long before the Dolphins are truly cemented in the market, and odds are that Brisbane will get their third long before Adelaide is even in the discussion, and potentially even before Perth get a real shot a license depending on politics at the ARLC, NRL, and broadcasters.

Then again, given the rate at which the NRL expands I don't think it's outside the realms of possibility that it could be 2040 before the NRL adds the 19th and 20th licenses, which would be almost 20 years after the Dolphins joined the NRL, so who knows.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
We've had Queenslanders in positions of power (Grant and Beattie in the last ten years), and they've either towed the line (John Grant) or fallen into the same patterns of insular thinking except to the benefit of Queensland/Brisbane first and foremost (Peter Beattie).

In other words where people are from is irrelevant, it's their ideology and attitudes to business that matters. In the NRL's case it's a total lack of entrepreneurialism that is the core of most of it's issues.
Beattie seemed to believe in growth and expansion. Just didn’t have the paper as to make anything happen it would seem. Grant was a total small time thinker. I went to the breakfast meeting in 2013 where he told perth we werent getting a team, came across as a total arrogant prck.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Well arguably as,origin has all but killed international rl you could argue it was a sht call by qlnd lol

Colk

First Grade
Beattie seemed to believe in growth and expansion. Just didn’t have the paper as to make anything happen it would seem. Grant was a total small time thinker. I went to the breakfast meeting in 2013 where he told perth we werent getting a team, came across as a total arrogant prck.

Unbelievable. What was the lunch and was it held in Perth?

Santino Patane

Juniors
Well arguably as,origin has all but killed international rl you could argue it was a sht call by qlnd lol
And there’s the call that sums your thoughts up- State of Origin is a negative to Rugby League. Despite me having plenty of sympathy for your cause, you’ve really turned into a whinging, salty sook. Ditch the whiny, bitch facade and come back to the real world, or just stfu and stop bringing the tone of these threads down to your depressive level.