What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prediction poll - who will get the 18th team?

Who will be the 18th NRL team?

• Brisbane Firehawks

• Brisbane Jets

• Brisbane other bid (including merged Firehawks/Jets - please specify)

• Perth

• Wellington

• Christchurch

• The Bears

• Other (Please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Colk

First Grade
Another thing, why we are locking up the heartland if we aren’t worried about other codes and their growing popularity. You would only do that (lock up the heartland) if you were worried about your competition. Otherwise what’s the point?

Another thing, why we are locking up the heartland if we aren’t worried about other codes and their growing popularity. You would only do that (lock up the heartland) if you were worried about your competition. Otherwise what’s the point?
just ensuring they continue to piss their money up against the wall like they have for the last 40 years & making sure we don't

Colk

First Grade
just ensuring they continue to piss their money up against the wall like they have for the last 40 years & making sure we don't

You haven’t answered my question about what you’re saying about your product if you keep going to the same well? Doesn’t say something to you about the quality of the product that we think we’re selling? It al least shows a complete lack of ambition. A small minded Sydney centric mentality

Have AFL wasted their money if more people attend Swans and Lions games on average than RL games? Doesn’t matter where they have come from (ex pats or otherwise) or whom they are (toffs or otherwise) that’s a win to them and justifies their decision. They created a niche for themselves in a previous rugby league/union monopoly and the niche will get bigger.

That’s also what you would be doing with another NZ wide - you are not going take over Rugby Union by putting a side there but over the long run you create a niche and give people options when consuming sport.

Also, by your view, do you think the Melbourne Storm has been a good thing or a bad thing for the game (even if you don’t like the side personally)

Also be serious for a second: what is really the point of adding a third or fourth Brisbane side to the competition besides trying to bankrupt the AFL (however redundant that point is) You wouldn’t be adding any new supporters to the game, in fact you would be more likely just reducing the amount of supporters another team, pretty much exactly what happened with Sydney teams. So why would you stretch the playing talent further if you aren’t adding any new supporters which is the whole point of expansion?

i dunno what nrl games you're attending but there are thousands of kids at the games I attend , Ive never been to an NBL game , why would I , I don;t like any septic sports.
Our game has an ageing supporter base. Whenever I see the crowd at games it is mostly made up of older men and women. If we don't convert they young generation into RL fans then we'll become a niche sport in 30 or 40 years time.

Our game has an ageing supporter base. Whenever I see the crowd at games it is mostly made up of older men and women. If we don't convert they young generation into RL fans then we'll become a niche sport in 30 or 40 years time.
I don't think thats even close to being correct , old people don;t use twitter or social media much, its a young persons domain.
the NRL was recently reported as the most talked about sport on that social media app & several others in this Country. Like I said , we're fine , we are the sport of choice to watch in NSW the ACT & QLD for youth in those places.

You haven’t answered my question about what you’re saying about your product if you keep going to the same well? Doesn’t say something to you about the quality of the product that we think we’re selling? It al least shows a complete lack of ambition. A small minded Sydney centric mentality

Have AFL wasted their money if more people attend Swans and Lions games on average than RL games? Doesn’t matter where they have come from (ex pats or otherwise) or whom they are (toffs or otherwise) that’s a win to them and justifies their decision. They created a niche for themselves in a previous rugby league/union monopoly and the niche will get bigger.

That’s also what you would be doing with another NZ wide - you are not going take over Rugby Union by putting a side there but over the long run you create a niche and give people options when consuming sport.

Also, by your view, do you think the Melbourne Storm has been a good thing or a bad thing for the game (even if you don’t like the side personally)

Also be serious for a second: what is really the point of adding a third or fourth Brisbane side to the competition besides trying to bankrupt the AFL (however redundant that point is) You wouldn’t be adding any new supporters to the game, in fact you would be more likely just reducing the amount of supporters another team, pretty much exactly what happened with Sydney teams. So why would you stretch the playing talent further if you aren’t adding any new supporters which is the whole point of expansion?
FFS , are you submitting minimum 500 word essays or something
I've been pretty clear what I think , not my fault your comprehension abilities are suspect.

Downfall? Are you suggesting the competition will go bankrupt or something else?

Their failing expansion teams will continue to be propped up by the AFL at the expense of all other areas of their game including heartland clubs & grass roots development. Covid has hit them hard , projected to be 90 million in losses 2020-22 , while the NRL made a profit of 50 Million in 2021 alone.
Its happening as we speak

please
no more Tolstoy novels as posts

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
FFS , are you submitting minimum 500 word essays or something
I've been pretty clear what I think , not my fault your comprehension abilities are suspect.

No because you refrain from actually addressing points which is what somebody would do in a debate. Anyway, I feel like I’m talking to somebody who bases his opinions on emotion rather than logic so we’ll agree to disagree

Colk

First Grade
Their failing expansion teams will continue to be propped up by the AFL at the expense of all other areas of their game including heartland clubs & grass roots development. Covid has hit them hard , projected to be 90 million in losses 2020-22 , while the NRL made a profit of 50 Million in 2021 alone.
Its happening as we speak

please
no more Tolstoy novels as posts

Their revenue has been significantly more over a significant amount of time. I hope they go bankrupt but I suspect they’ll be fine.

Anyway ego and confidence is a very good thing, something which I wished our sport had more of. You know nothing is ever achieved without at least an ambition to achieve it.

The Great Dane

First Grade
the truth haha

its your opinion 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
It's sad that people think 'that's just like your opinion, man' is a devastating argument that can be pulled out as a catchall in any situation. Not all opinions are equal, some are informed and observable and repeatable, and others are not.

Just like the weight of evidence suggests that the earth is in fact a sphere, and not flat like in the flat earthers opinion, in this case the weight of evidence is behind "my" opinion, and not Pippen's. It just is what it is.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
I'm not a fan of PR or BP at all but while I don't agree with Santino's tone he does have a valid point. For all of PR's good points he does come across as a bitter, salty sook that wants everyone out of the competition just so Perth can get a team.
Whether or not you agree with Santino's 'point' is irrelevant, and doesn't change the fact that he wasn't addressing PR's point but subtly dodging it to attack his character.

Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem with attacking a persons character in the right context. Sometimes a merkin needs to be called a merkin. However the way he is going about it is slimy and gross.

Furthermore PR, and any RL fan outside of 'the heartlands' as the establishment in Sydney sees them, has bloody good reason to be bitter considering the way they've been treated, and it's undeniable that the game would be much better off if a handful NRL sides weren't allowed to squat on licenses simply for traditions sake.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Will all depend on:
A) whose in charge and making the decision in 5-10 years time when 18th club gets looked at
B) What News ltd or Ch9 want
C) Who has the biggest money behind them
D) If the NRL has grown some by then and actually wants to take the game to a new market
E) How the Dolphins have done

As long as its a new market and sustainable that's the most important thing for the next club. If its yet another heartland state team you can shut the door on NRL ever catching AFL.

What it really needs is a strategy though, not just a 3 month rush job like we had with the Dolphins. They should be deciding now where and when, and supporting the building of the clubs infrastructure over the next 3-5 years ready for a proper launch. Not the half arsed effort we are seeing in Brisbane.

Last edited:
No because you refrain from actually addressing points which is what somebody would do in a debate. Anyway, I feel like I’m talking to somebody who bases his opinions on emotion rather than logic so we’ll agree to disagree
well I feel like I'm talking to somebody who has to say 40 words when 4 will do , hence the novels as posts & the people reading them falling asleep

Their revenue has been significantly more over a significant amount of time. I hope they go bankrupt but I suspect they’ll be fine.

Anyway ego and confidence is a very good thing, something which I wished our sport had more of. You know nothing is ever achieved without at least an ambition to achieve it.
their revenue would want to be higher because they piss a lot of it away , I never said bankrupt .. I said tying up their funds with their failing expansion sides.
Thats the lesson for us right there

It's sad that people think 'that's just like your opinion, man' is a devastating argument that can be pulled out as a catchall in any situation. Not all opinions are equal, some are informed and observable and repeatable, and others are not.

Just like the weight of evidence suggests that the earth is in fact a sphere, and not flat like in the flat earthers opinion, in this case the weight of evidence is behind "my" opinion, and not Pippen's. It just is what it is.
Its sad that an uppity arrogant clown like you thinks your opinion is sacrosanct & you are some sort of authority when in reality you're just a wanker

Perth Red

Post Whore
their revenue would want to be higher because they piss a lot of it away , I never said bankrupt .. I said tying up their funds with their failing expansion sides.
Thats the lesson for us right there
Investment in growth markets rarley comes cheap. But you can do that if you have the money. They are not tying up their funds in expansion, they still fund many heartland clubs significantly higher than others to keep them afloat, they still invest double what NRL does in participation programs, they still invest in buying assets like Marvel stadium.

The lesson is invest now and reap the rewards later. There's a good reason their revenue continues to be 50% higher than ours, learn some lessons you're right there!

Latest posts