What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prediction poll - who will get the 18th team?

Who will be the 18th NRL team?

• Brisbane Firehawks

• Brisbane Jets

• Brisbane other bid (including merged Firehawks/Jets - please specify)

• Perth

• Wellington

• Christchurch

• The Bears

• Other (Please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think after this text, I’ll bow out of this discussion because you’re either a troll or unable to be objective in any discussion on this matter. It’s also a high mark of cognitive dissonance to talk about someone else not looking at things objectively, whilst at the same time writing that message.

Anyway, yes, it is inarguable. In that time (last 30 years) we have had a war, we have had nearly a competition worth of defunct teams (3 iterations of Gold Coast, Sth Qld Crushers, Western Reds, Adelaide Rams, North Sydney Bears, Western Suburbs Magpies, Balmain Tigers, Hunter Mariners (although who gives a crap about them) and Illawarra Steelers - I’ll leave St George off the list because they have essentially taken over. Souths were also killed. If you want to extend to 40 years you could also add Newtown to that list). On their side, they have had one defunct club (two if you want to stretch it to 40 years), they have higher attendances, greater revenue, a presence in every capital city (most of the cities have two - so a national competition, higher player wages etc.

The only point of contention you have given me are two clubs that haven’t died yet. At this point in time, they are probably mistakes on their part but really is that your point of contention against the absolute shambles of RL administration over the past how many years? Also, they have made other mistakes, probably plenty (the biggest one I can think of is the Essendon peptide drama - that was very poorly handled)

Anyway, I’m not praising AFL management (unless saying basic competence should be praised); my statement is more of a reflection of how inept RL management has been - it actually shows how good the product is considering the game is still popular after all the crap over the past 30 years.
a troll ? , no just someone who won't put up with rabbits caught in headlights & can't see anything but the bright lights
Keep sipping the koolaid pal

Colk

First Grade
Well I didn't think it was hard either but it appears impossible for you
a shit team ?
hahaha , the ink has barely dried on the agreement & your bias is showing already . How the F do you know they're going to be shit. Will they win the comp in year one , nope .. make the finals .. nope .. be shit , maybe but they'll be like just about every expansion team ever started so park that crap right now. One thing they won't won't be is a financial burden like many expansion teams have been & still are.

They have a name you halfwit , they're the Dolphins. And they know exactly who they represent.
Thank f**k they didn't come up with some stupid cringworthy amalgamation of areas name like clowns on here like you were suggesting like GWS

what the F is GWS hahahaha . i keep looking for it in google maps .. whats its postcode ?

You say you want expansion , then are critical of RL for the clubs that have fallen by the way side through rationalisation & natural selection,
What ? did you want them to all still exist & have a 40 team competition ??
You're a very confused individual who doesn't seem to know what the hell you want

Firstly, what bias am I showing? They’ve literally signed Felise Kaufusi and a few dregs. Now things may change but at this time it is slightly worrying don’t you think? Also, it is not a good thing for the competition to have another crap team, particularly in light of what has happened over the past couple of years but anyway.

If you want to kindly point me to a town or city in Australia called ‘the Dolphins’, I’ll retract my point. It was and is a stupid decision. Also, I don’t like the name GWS Giants either but that’s really beside the point I would have thought (Greater Western Sydney is an official term for an area though)

Also, I don’t know what this last paragraph is about and what point you’re advocating but it is quite hilarious you trying to conjure an argument.

Are you defending the expansion strategy (or lack thereof) of Rugby League or not? Are you suggesting that investing in a side and then removing them a couple of years after is a sound strategy? Either they shouldn’t have been put in the competition in the first place, particularly if they weren’t going to be properly supported in their initial stages; or they deserved to remain in the competition and shouldn’t have been kicked out? Whatever side you’re on, it is a damaging decision. If you want to compare to any other competently run competition/sport, knock yourself, but you’ll find that they expand without killing them off a short time later.

LimeRick

Juniors
They have a name you halfwit , they're the Dolphins. And they know exactly who they represent.
Thank f**k they didn't come up with some stupid cringworthy amalgamation of areas name like clowns on here like you were suggesting like GWS

what the F is GWS hahahaha . i keep looking for it in google maps .. whats its postcode ?

The term "Greater Western Sydney" has been used by the government since at least the '90s, it's a relatively well-defined location. Not something the AFL just pulled out of a hat.

Sure it's a bit cringey and a bit of a mouthful, they probably should have just gone with "Western Sydney", but their marketers seemed keen on the G theme (maybe some subliminal Gatorade sponsorship). At the end of the day though, it's pretty obvious they represent Western Sydney (it's right there in the name).

I'm glad the Dolphins know exactly who they represent, because I haven't figured it out yet. Is it Redcliffe, is it Moreton Bay, Northern Brisbane, the Sunshine Coast? You can crap on the GWS name all you like (and it's pretty fair game), but having a cringey place name is better than having no name at all.

mongoose

Coach
The term "Greater Western Sydney" has been used by the government since at least the '90s, it's a relatively well-defined location. Not something the AFL just pulled out of a hat.

Sure it's a bit cringey and a bit of a mouthful, they probably should have just gone with "Western Sydney", but their marketers seemed keen on the G theme (maybe some subliminal Gatorade sponsorship). At the end of the day though, it's pretty obvious they represent Western Sydney (it's right there in the name).

I'm glad the Dolphins know exactly who they represent, because I haven't figured it out yet. Is it Redcliffe, is it Moreton Bay, Northern Brisbane, the Sunshine Coast? You can crap on the GWS name all you like (and it's pretty fair game), but having a cringey place name is better than having no name at all.
why do they play 3 games in canberra then?

LimeRick

Juniors
why do they play 3 games in canberra then?

Completely unrelated. They have Canberra on their guernseys, but that's just because of a sponsorship. They'd still be called GWS if it ended.

The Sydney Thunder seem to have a similar deal with Canberra in the BBL, too.

Colk

First Grade
a troll ? , no just someone who won't put up with rabbits caught in headlights & can't see anything but the bright lights
Keep sipping the koolaid pal

Just because you want something desperately to be true, doesn’t mean it is.

I like the koolaid comment by the way which is another ironic post aimed more appropriately at yourself. We are not living in some sort of dictatorship, you can love the sport but still criticise the way it is run.

Anyway unless AFL had a civil war and kicked out nearly 40% of their teams (which I’m not aware of) then there is no comparison regarding mismanagement of sport between the two codes over the past 30 years.

Furthermore that hasn’t meant that AFL are brilliant or faultless, they have just largely been competent - that is not particularly praiseworthy. They haven’t had to have been anything more than that by the way, considering the mismanagement of RL as well as other sports in this country which has done the heavy lifting for them (For example, Rugby and soccer have also been very poor during that same time period)

RL despite its incompetence has managed to retain a solid popularity, which is amazing. We should be grateful for that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
When we are ready for Brisbane 3, say in 15-20 years time, it would be good to see the Tigers and Jets come together to develop a joint ownership South Brisbane somethings. Dolphins will hopefully realise their error at some point and become the North Brisbane or MB Dolphins. That will effectively split the metro region into 3 key areas for the three clubs with Broncos still having full city wide appeal.

Until then lets get Perth in for 2027 then start planning for NZ2 a few years later followed finally by Brisbane 3.
A 20 team comp by 2040 with those 3 added would be a solid target.

When we are ready for Brisbane 3, say in 15-20 years time, it would be good to see the Tigers and Jets come together to develop a joint ownership South Brisbane somethings. Dolphins will hopefully realise their error at some point and become the North Brisbane or MB Dolphins. That will effectively split the metro region into 3 key areas for the three clubs with Broncos still having full city wide appeal.

Until then lets get Perth in for 2027 then start planning for NZ2 a few years later followed finally by Brisbane 3.
A 20 team comp by 2040 with those 3 added would be a solid target.
I like that plan.

I do think Perth and NZ 2 would be great additions to the NRL and should been brought in years ago.

Just because you want something desperately to be true, doesn’t mean it is.

I like the koolaid comment by the way which is another ironic post aimed more appropriately at yourself. We are not living in some sort of dictatorship, you can love the sport but still criticise the way it is run.

Anyway unless AFL had a civil war and kicked out nearly 40% of their teams (which I’m not aware of) then there is no comparison regarding mismanagement of sport between the two codes over the past 30 years.

Furthermore that hasn’t meant that AFL are brilliant or faultless, they have just largely been competent - that is not particularly praiseworthy. They haven’t had to have been anything more than that by the way, considering the mismanagement of RL as well as other sports in this country which has done the heavy lifting for them (For example, Rugby and soccer have also been very poor during that same time period)

RL despite its incompetence has managed to retain a solid popularity, which is amazing. We should be grateful for that.
you've never posted one positive comment about the NRL nor posted a negative one about the AFL
you know what that makes you don't you ?

a stooge 😎

Perth Red

Post Whore
I like that plan.

I do think Perth and NZ 2 would be great additions to the NRL and should been brought in years ago.
Perth should never have been booted in '98, along with the crushers and gold coast. That would have made it much easier to have NZ2 in by now. We should have had a 21 team comp in 98 with the goal to rationalise Sydney down and bring in Melbourne couple of years later to end up with a proper national eventual 18 team comp by 2000.
Oh well such is RL decision making!

By 2000 the NRL should have looked like:

Broncos
Crushers
Gold Coast
Cowboys

Perth
Adelaide
Melbourne (2000 entry)
Canberra
Auckland

Newcastle
Gosford

7 spots for the 10 Sydney plus Illawarra clubs to fight over.

f**k News Ltd and the weak as pss ARL leadership of the time!

Perth Red

Post Whore
In 1998 we had a 20 team comp after losing Perth, Hunter Mariners and Crushers from the season before
By 1999 we were down to 17 clubs following the loss of Adelaide, Gold coast and merging of St's and Illawarra
By 2000 we were down to 14 clubs (ironically the original SL proposal number pre war) after losing South Sydney and mergers of Manly/NS and Wests/Balmain
2001 remained same
2002 we were back up to 15 with readmission of south Sydney
stayed same until 2007
2007 Gold Coast readmitted
Stayed same until 2023
2023 Dolphins admitted

So geographically the game had and then lost (and then got back in some cases)
Perth
Adelaide
Brisbane 2 (readmitted 25 years later)
Gold Coast (readmitted 8 years later)
Gosford

and gained Melbourne post SL war

Sheesh.

Perth Red

Post Whore
talking ?

you're moaning about every decision ever made by said sport hahahaha
In your head maybe, I do seem to live in your head a lot I've noticed lol
talking about the sport is what we are here for, the good and the bad.
discussing AFL seems to be your penchant. You have twice as many posts about AFL as NRL hmmmm.