What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prediction poll - who will get the 18th team?

Who will be the 18th NRL team?

• Brisbane Firehawks

• Brisbane Jets

• Brisbane other bid (including merged Firehawks/Jets - please specify)

• Perth

• Wellington

• Christchurch

• The Bears

• Other (Please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Maybe something we should be considering rather than mocking? After all having dual city presence has got them 15k members, got AFL a consistent footprint in a city that they are unlikely to ever put a team in and is bringing in millions of $'s for a new club. We could do worse than trying to set up a something similar for a city like Adelaide or Wellington

A complete fail , a joke name for a joke team. After 10 years of piggy backing , leg ups & gearing of the draft & salary cap
5 finals appearances & a grand final ...
they are still considered irrelevant here , like everywhere else
15K members here in Canberra ?
try 5K with half given away to jnrs

a footprint , yeah .. in hilarity 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Perth Red

Post Whore
A complete fail , a joke name for a joke team. After 10 years of piggy backing , leg ups & gearing of the draft & salary cap
5 finals appearances & a grand final ...
they are still considered irrelevant here , like everywhere else
15K members here in Canberra ?
try 5K with half given away to jnrs

a footprint , yeah .. in hilarity 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I see they’re currently negotiating a ten year extension to the $2.5mill a year deal with canberra. if theyve only got 5k canberra members that means theybe got 20-25k Sydney members. Point stand, the shared city model is working very well for the afl and the giants.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Maybe something we should be considering rather than mocking? After all having dual city presence has got them 15k members, got AFL a consistent footprint in a city that they are unlikely to ever put a team in and is bringing in millions of $'s for a new club. We could do worse than trying to set up a something similar for a city like Adelaide or Wellington.
I see they’re currently negotiating a ten year extension to the $2.5mill a year deal with canberra. if theyve only got 5k canberra members that means theybe got 20-25k Sydney members. Point stand, the shared city model is working very well for the afl and the giants.
Their number of ACT members in somewhere between 10-15k. They haven't released the exact number in years, but last time they did release their member numbers from outside of NSW, which it's safe to assume the majority of which would be from the ACT, it was something like 13k (I forget the exact number), and it's undoubtably grown since then.

However their "fan-base" in Canberra is disproportionally supported by expats, and the vast majority of them couldn't be described as GWS fans by any reasonable standard. The minority whom could be described as GWS fans are mainly from younger demographics whom don't know any different, however as soon as GWS leaves (which is inevitable) that support base will almost completely dry up just like it did after the other AFL clubs left over the years.

Furthermore the ACT government is only renewing the contract because Andrew Barr, and a core of ACT Labour, are AFL sycophants. The ACT taxpayer lost fortunes on the last two contracts, and overpaying so much for a handful of AFL games that nobody else would even bid for (not even Tasmania) each year has made the ACT uncompetitive when competing for other more desirable events.

In other words to achieve what GWS has achieved in the ACT you need a highly transient population base, with a government that's willing to literally sell their souls to get the contract (and "free" GF tickets each year...), and even then the support will be at best fleeting. That's without getting into the other major negative effects (which are watered down in the ACT because of the high transience, but are still there just like in Tasmania) like mass disenchantment and frustration with the sport/league after being lead on for years.

No such market exists for the NRL, certainly not Adelaide or Wellington, and even if it did it's not worth the long term negative side-effects.

Besides, the NRL would be absolutely made not to put a club into Adelaide, and it's only a matter of time before the AFL puts a side in Canberra. Aside from Tasmania Canberra is the only new market that is a realistic option for them in the short to mid term, and more lucrative than a lot of the other markets they could/are trying to develop for the long term.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Their number of ACT members in somewhere between 10-15k. They haven't released the exact number in years, but last time they did release their member numbers from outside of NSW, which it's safe to assume the majority of which would be from the ACT, it was something like 13k (I forget the exact number), and it's undoubtably grown since then.

However their "fan-base" in Canberra is disproportionally supported by expats, and the vast majority of them couldn't be described as GWS fans by any reasonable standard. The minority whom could be described as GWS fans are mainly from younger demographics whom don't know any different, however as soon as GWS leaves (which is inevitable) that support base will almost completely dry up just like it did after the other AFL clubs left over the years.

Furthermore the ACT government is only renewing the contract because Andrew Barr, and a core of ACT Labour, are AFL sycophants. The ACT taxpayer lost fortunes on the last two contracts, and overpaying so much for a handful of AFL games that nobody else would even bid for (not even Tasmania) each year has made the ACT uncompetitive when competing for other more desirable events.

In other words to achieve what GWS has achieved in the ACT you need a highly transient population base, with a government that's willing to literally sell their souls to get the contract (and "free" GF tickets each year...), and even then the support will be at best fleeting. That's without getting into the other major negative effects (which are watered down in the ACT because of the high transience, but are still there just like in Tasmania) like mass disenchantment and frustration with the sport/league after being lead on for years.

No such market exists for the NRL, certainly not Adelaide or Wellington, and even if it did it's not worth the long term negative side-effects.

Besides, the NRL would be absolutely made not to put a club into Adelaide, and it's only a matter of time before the AFL puts a side in Canberra. Aside from Tasmania Canberra is the only new market that is a realistic option for them in the short to mid term, and more lucrative than a lot of the other markets they could/are trying to develop for the long term.
Who cares if it’s giving fans of that sport an opportunity to keep following the game and a club Where otherwise they wouldn’t have that opportunity?

If someone told me we would get a club part relocated for the next twenty years I’d bite your hand off at this time when it looks like there wont be a club in most of these cities for decades, if ever.

Who cares if it’s giving fans of that sport an opportunity to keep following the game and a club Where otherwise they wouldn’t have that opportunity?

If someone told me we would get a club part relocated for the next twenty years I’d bite your hand off at this time when it looks like there wont be a club in most of these cities for decades, if ever.
Time for WA Government to negotiate with Wests Ashfield?

If I was the NRL then I'd get rid of the Balmain side of the merger, retire the "Tigers" brand and change it to West Coast Magpies or Western Magpies so there's something in it for the Magpies and Perth. If the WA consortium can provide more money than Balmain then the NRL would be crazy to knock it back.

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors

If I was the NRL then I'd get rid of the Balmain side of the merger, retire the "Tigers" brand and change it to West Coast Magpies or Western Magpies so there's something in it for the Magpies and Perth. If the WA consortium can provide more money than Balmain then the NRL would be crazy to knock it back.
instead of retiring the tigers brand why not relocate them to Brisbane so they can become the Brisbane3 franchise team namely the “Brisbane tigers”?

You could then permanently base the dolphins out of Redcliffe and change their name to the moreton bay dolphins.

Perth Red

Post Whore

The nrl doesn’t have any say in what the tigers do and wests Ashfield don’t need WA’s money.

instead of retiring the tigers brand why not relocate them to Brisbane so they can become the Brisbane3 franchise team namely the “Brisbane tigers”?

You could then permanently base the dolphins out of Redcliffe and change their name to the moreton bay dolphins.
That's a great idea!

Brisbane Tigers and Western Magpies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If Wests want to be a force then they'll need to ditch the failed merger with Balmain and relocate to a new market. Tigers can live on in Brisbane.
location or name isnt their problem, they just need to sign a decent coach and some decent players lol. Moving cities certainly doesn’t guarantee success And they aren’t short of cash.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Brisbane Tigers already exist, Balmain would bring nothing to the table and certainly wouldn't make their bid for an NRL licence any more compelling than it already is.