What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 - Panthers vs Rabbitohs: Friday 1st April 8:05pm @BlueBet Stadium

Rabbits20

Immortal
Tallis went off about the disallowed try
I’m just watching it back mate I had to work.

Penalty against an injured Nicholls is a joke. Mline on tackle 5 that’s not a 6 again. 1min before halftime after Ilias put Tom away Penrith miles offside no penalty.

Anyway not the reason we are losing too many errors.

Kilkenny

Coach
You can’t complete at 60% or so and expect to compete against the better sides.

For the most part I thought it was a hard fought contest you made it easier for us than it had to be in the end.

The only thing I will say, if it hasn’t been said already is someone needs to put a rocket up Latrell. His contribution was very poor for someone of his stature and wages. He really should be offering more than what he showed tonight.

Kilkenny

Coach
But Edwards has been more or less factory until this year. So some persistence seems to improve some players. He had a Remarkable game tonight. Good on him. Every dog has his day lol.
Dylan Edwards was our best and most important player during the finals series in 2021 playing with a broken foot.

He’s never been factory, he is a very fine player.

Without doubt the best value for money fullback in the competition.

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs fall to Panthers in Grand Final re-match: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2022/04/01/rabbitohs-fall-to-panthers-in-grand-final-re-match2/

Rabbitohs rue errors in Grand Final rematch: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2022/04/01/rabbitohs-rue-errors-in-grand-final-rematch/

Press Conference - Round 4: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...nference-panthers-v-rabbitohs---round-4-2022/

'My goodness' - ANOTHER Panthers star emerges, big Bunnies silver lining - 3 Big Hits: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/c6b73619515ec8308c96bc9663d3c5e0

Coaches react to 'disappointing' decision as stars eight-point 'catastrophe' kills Bunnies' hopes: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/c98bbd1a6d0ad3ba3b2185ba60e27853

murraymob

Coach
Now the Panther celebrations begin, which player is going to send the Panthers club down the toilet this time?

Dylan Edwards my motm as predicted here.

Nice touch from Latts after the game. @murraymob pushed her into the ball. You can see it on replay. He’s the big guy wearing an elk costume with the antlers.
The tigers want to know when you left them and become a bunnies supporter

Nealo 12

Bench
The tigers want to know when you left them and become a bunnies supporter
The X Files Fox Television Classics GIF by HULU

southsport

First Grade
Dylan Edwards was our best and most important player during the finals series in 2021 playing with a broken foot.

He’s never been factory, he is a very fine player.

Without doubt the best value for money fullback in the competition.
Agree, Edwards wouldn't look out of place in the origin #1 jumper actually but Teddy has that locked up.

callmack1

Staff member
After watching the replay, here's my full report,

Mitchell: A very mixed bag for Latrell. Hate to say this but I think it was more bad than good to be honest. Firstly, his running game was pretty good as he was constantly taking hit ups and they were strong runs, was very involved in that area throughout the game. Slipped a great offload to Cody too which got us an awesome line break. However, apart from a few plays across the 80 minutes, he was barely seen out the back of shape. Why? I ask why because I have no idea why he was hardly involved in that area of the game. We need far more in that area. He's a marquee player, one of the best in the NRL out the back of shape but we hardly even saw it in a big game. That's not good enough. So I liked his involvement with his running game but very disappointed in him when attacking their line. I'm also pretty disappointed in his defence, not up to his usual standard. Twice he could have potentially saved a try down our right hand side but his effort in cover defence was piss poor. Instead of giving it everything like he normally would, the effort he showed was piss poor to be honest. Again on the second Panthers try on our left, he could have put himself in a position to be there in cover but he made no effort to get across from mid field at all. This is probably the most I've ever criticised Latrell. Love him but I feel like he deserves it after last night.

Johnston: Was solid without being special. His running game was pretty strong, he returned the ball well, had a good work rate with hit ups out of our end and he was very safe under the high ball, didn't drop one despite getting some tough kicks so that was impressive. AJ didn't get many opportunities in space but he did what he could when he found himself there. A great play for Cody's try, awesome speed and then vision to get it back inside. Could have scored a long range try with his speed too if not for some desperate Panthers defence. The only real negative for his night was the one error he made.

Milne: Bit unsure how to feel about Taane's game so I'm just going to say it was a mixed night for him. For the most part, I liked his efforts with the ball. He ran with aggression and had some really good carries. He didn't get a big amount of opportunities attacking their line and he was well marked but he did have a chance to go for a try in the first half off AJ's offload but I thought he was a bit casual, didn't show the urgency needed. Not saying he would have got there but it would have been a lot closer. Did make an error too. Showed us he does have ball skills though with that lovely tip on to AJ for Cody's try, that was bloody lovely! He did okay defensively for most of the game aside from one huge defensive error for the Panthers' second try. That try was his fault. Cody well and truly has his man covered, but Taane has a brain fart and rushes in from way out! Thus, creating the try! That pissed me off so much, it was completely unnecessary and just a really really poor read. I also think he lost his cool a bit later in the game. So a mixed night for Taane.

Graham: Awesome work from Stretch with the ball, he was huge in this area. A really strong running game as always, quality hit up after quality hit up. Got through a massive 167 meters so was colossal in helping to get us out of trouble, really impressive. He looked fairly dangerous attacking their line, broke 5 tackles so was hard to handle clearly, and he slipped through well for our first try of a great pass from Ilias. However, he did make 2 errors with the ball and the defence from him was not up to his usual standard. I really think he dropped the ball this week on this side of his game. Penrith's first try could have been stopped if Campbell hadn't got caught up on the inside of Luai and tripped over and he also had a hand in the other two lapses down the right edge. He did come up with some good stops and big tackles at other times but those three lapses were really disappointing. Normally a great defender so needs to step up there.

Paulo: Pretty disappointing. He did have some okay runs in attack but did nothing special there really and his defence was just terrible, awful. Panthers first try, he backs off way to much and gets beaten on the outside, makes a poor attempt at tackle on Luai and he gets by. Their third try, once again is a tackle that Jaxson really should be making but he gets beaten on the outside and makes a pretty poor dive attempt. I admit, he's not helped by those inside him because they don't slide quick enough but it's still a tackle that I feel he could have made. Penrith's fourth try, he comes rushing in and doesn't get his man. He goes off for an HIA shortly after. I'm not directly blaming Jaxson for all those tries, just stating he played a role in them being scored. He's normally pretty solid defensively but it seemed to all fall apart last night.

Walker: Didn't really step up when we needed him too in a big game. He was trying hard but nothing was really coming off for him in attack. Looked like creating a couple of chances but it was then shut down or the play broke down. He came up with 3 errors over the 80 minutes too. Made a nice line break in the first half off that nice offload from Latrell and he showed some great skill to get it around the corner and out to AJ but sadly, it didn't really come to anything. His highlight was obviously his try because he had a big hand in that. Great combo with Lachie, great pass from Cody to create the space for Taane and AJ, and then backed up on the inside to score so that was a glimpse of Cody's best, we just need to see it more often. In defence Cody was good. He didn't put a foot wrong there. We just need to get him back firing, he's been getting better and has shown us glimpses but no doubt it's been a tough start to the Season for him. Given our Draw, Cody has a great opportunity in the next few weeks to find some of that form and get back to his best.

Ilias: I am so frickin proud of him!! Massively proud!! In a big game, he wasn't overawed, he really stood up, owned it and I honestly think he was our man of the match!! A wonderful play by him to create our first try, really straightened the attack and then put on a beautiful pass to Campbell to put him straight into a hole, that was lovely. It's such a shame his try was denied through no fault of his own because that would have been a great moment. What about the way he took on Yeo and Fisher-Harris? Stepping off the right foot, backing himself, cutting through and then beating a tackle to 'score,' I absolutely loved seeing that from Lachie and it was a big play. Again, such a shame it was taken off him but a really good sign!! Then a few minutes later, he manufactures a line break on his own with a beautiful short ball to put Tom straight through. The classy touches kept coming in the second half, the most notable being his involvement in Cody's try. Lachie started that movement, took the ball right to the line and played straight before combining well with his halves partner and getting a nice pass away. This held Cleary up, gave Cody some space, created the line break and ultimately, lead to the try. I was just so impressed with his ball playing last night! His defence was okay too. Short kicking game was awesome, showed great confidence and poise to put in two perfect grubbers which lead to line dropouts however, I do think his long kicking game left a bit to be desired but that's something to work on. I also hoped he's learnt his lesson about getting to the ball on the full off the kick off. Just really impressed with him, as I said, I reckon he was our best. Really starting to command respect at this level and will only get better.

callmack1

Staff member
Tatola: Junior was quite disappointing I thought. Yes, he played less minutes but maybe there's a reason for that? He did have some decent carries but in the end he only had 6 runs and only made 53 meters which is pretty poor really. He's one guy that needs to start to step up or he may find someone taking his spot.

Cook: Speaking of disappointing, how disappointing was Cookie last night? Really thought he was going to build on that fantastic performance in Round 3 but no. In a big game where he should be stepping up and leading, he went right back into his shell. Only one run for the whole night that I can remember. That's not good enough and I don't know why he's always so quiet against the Panthers. On top of this, his service was very poor, just about the worst I have seen from him. Heaps of passes behind his man or too far out in front. Although he doesn't get credited with the error, I blame Cookie for a few dropped balls because it was off the back of a poor pass from him. He did make a massive 61 tackles which is just crazy so credit where credit is due there but he's on $800k a year and is the current NSW and Aus hooker. Should be doing a lot more than just tackling.

Nicholls: Nothing to say about him really due to his injury early. Hopefully it's not as bad as it looked for him.

Koloamatangi: Kind of like Cookie, had a big game last week and I was expecting him to go on with it for the Season last night but he took a bit of a backwards step compared with what we're used to from him. Some of his runs were really good and he had 10 for 97 meters but he just didn't make the impact we all know he can. Had a big error which I think did end up leading to a try and gave away a crucial penalty late in the game when we were down their end and threatening to come back, that relived all the pressure and we lost our momentum. He was okay in defence but I want to see him do more to help his outside men. I did love that big hit to sit Kikau on his ass though!

Arrow: Probably didn't quite make the impact he has the last three weeks but that's not to say he was bad. it was still a nice, solid, consistent performance from Jai. Probably wasn't helped by the fact that his game was really disrupted due to injuries. Had to go to the middle early on and then found himself out at right center later in the game. Still had some good carries to really take it to the Panthers pack. 10 runs for 84 meters when you are a bit disrupted is not a bad effort.

Murray: Cam was great as always, inspirational. I liked early on that he was dummying to pass at first receiver and then taking the run to start the game as this will help create doubt in defensive sides minds and keep them honest. His carries were all quality, constantly poking his nose through and getting a quick play-the-ball more often than not. he had 12 runs for 103 meters. His ball playing was on point too. Then just a huge, huge effort in defence, 55 tackles with only two missed! What a workhorse. One of our best for the night no doubt.

Host: Was forced to play a big role due to injury and handled it really well. Did a really nice job and turned out a pretty good performance I thought. Ran some great lines and got through a lot of work. 13 runs for 108 meters, 1 error though. However, I do think he was one of our better forwards.

Havili: Didn't have a great night I didn't think. Only 5 runs for 52 meters and was really let down by his hands. Made two errors and both of them were at crucial times when we had the ball down their end. Can be a lot better.

Burgess: A mixed game for Tom. On the one hand, I want to say he was terrible. This is because of that really poor unforced error he came up with and costing Lachie a try with some really lazy lead runner play. Tom should know better than to stop in the line, that cost us big time. However, aside from those two instances, he was actually really, really good. Played bigger minutes than normal and had some pretty massive runs, the best of which was his line break. Made 145 meters which is huge. We just need him to cut the crap out of his game. Was good with his hands last year so let's get back to that!

Knight: Very solid in only his second game back. Was busy, got through his work well with 8 for 69, and made no errors. Good impact off the bench.

callmack1

Staff member
I do want to talk about some of the refereeing in this game too. I'm not using it as an excuse, the better team did win but I do think we were pretty hard done by at times. The tone was set early right from the start when Nicholls got injured. We were penalised for holding on but in my opinion, that call was absolutely bullshit because we were calling to the sideline for an injured player and didn't want to move because Nicho was hurt. Looking out for a players welfare but nope, we still get pinged. Then there was plenty of times where I thought we deserved a six again or a penalty but nope, nothing.

My biggest gripe though is with the 8 point try. I'm not talking about Lachie's foot, it was an accident but the fact is you can't do that so it probably does warrant a penalty. I'm talking about the build up to the try. In that play, Tago is a lead runner and contacts Ilias on his outside shoulder so Lachie has to check his run a bit. The ball goes behind Tago and they score off it. To be fair, it didn't impact Lachie a lot, he still had a chance to get there but that is not my point. Earlier on, we had a try taken off us because Tom runs a line on JFH's outside shoulder. Fisher-Harris isn't really impacted and still gets there to make a play, but it's called back because Tom was on his outside shoulder. Fair enough, that's the rule. It's black and white in Rugby League, regardless of if the defender is actually impacted or not. But why do different rules seem to apply to Penrith? Tago CLEARLY runs into Lachie's outside shoulder. I'm not being one eyed, go look at the replay, it's clear as day. Yet, they don't even look at it?? Play on they say. The 8 point try was a massive turning point in the game, we were never coming back from that. I'm not saying we would have won if that didn't happen but anything could have happened if that was looked at and thus, not allowed. It just makes my blood boil!!

Still really frustrated. As I said last night, it's a case of what could have been for us. Hold the ball more and anything could have happened. We have shown we have a great team, we have shown we can go with them, the Roosters and the Storm when we get it right. It's just about not bloody beating ourselves!!

southsport

First Grade
Just on Mitchell, he was quiet but it's harder for him to get into the game when we keep dropping the ball, he normally comes into play later in the sets but we didn't get to that point where he normally injects himself.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I do want to talk about some of the refereeing in this game too. I'm not using it as an excuse, the better team did win but I do think we were pretty hard done by at times. The tone was set early right from the start when Nicholls got injured. We were penalised for holding on but in my opinion, that call was absolutely bullshit because we were calling to the sideline for an injured player and didn't want to move because Nicho was hurt. Looking out for a players welfare but nope, we still get pinged. Then there was plenty of times where I thought we deserved a six again or a penalty but nope, nothing.

My biggest gripe though is with the 8 point try. I'm not talking about Lachie's foot, it was an accident but the fact is you can't do that so it probably does warrant a penalty. I'm talking about the build up to the try. In that play, Tago is a lead runner and contacts Ilias on his outside shoulder so Lachie has to check his run a bit. The ball goes behind Tago and they score off it. To be fair, it didn't impact Lachie a lot, he still had a chance to get there but that is not my point. Earlier on, we had a try taken off us because Tom runs a line on JFH's outside shoulder. Fisher-Harris isn't really impacted and still gets there to make a play, but it's called back because Tom was on his outside shoulder. Fair enough, that's the rule. It's black and white in Rugby League, regardless of if the defender is actually impacted or not. But why do different rules seem to apply to Penrith? Tago CLEARLY runs into Lachie's outside shoulder. I'm not being one eyed, go look at the replay, it's clear as day. Yet, they don't even look at it?? Play on they say. The 8 point try was a massive turning point in the game, we were never coming back from that. I'm not saying we would have won if that didn't happen but anything could have happened if that was looked at and thus, not allowed. It just makes my blood boil!!

Still really frustrated. As I said last night, it's a case of what could have been for us. Hold the ball more and anything could have happened. We have shown we have a great team, we have shown we can go with them, the Roosters and the Storm when we get it right. It's just about not bloody beating ourselves!!
Mate Atkins was in the bunker we shouldn’t be surprised you know how he is to us.