What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stalled and stagnant Sydney clubs

Perth Red

Post Whore
They thought regions would grow, but population growth has been greatest in Sydney. Melbourne & Brisbane. Game would be stronger today if league was mainly Sydney & Brisbane clubs.
league would be stronger if it had been taken up in melbourne and Perth not Sydney lol.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Makes you realise there was a lot more thought in decision to award the dolphins, than the news limited conspiracy some here sing
Yet the club report showed the biggest support for the broncos and other nrl clubs was in the north ans Moreton Bay Area. They’ve basically cannibalised existing supporters In that decision.

Colk

First Grade
Makes you realise there was a lot more thought in decision to award the dolphins, than the news limited conspiracy some here sing
Interesting you mention those three areas. Interest in NRL there is strong. Areas without teams drop off;
View attachment 60103

Losing bears hurt.

Your argument doesn’t hold - that there has to be a side in the area for there to be interest or that without a team there is no interest.

There are teams in the inner west and eastern suburbs so how do you explain their relative lack of interest in the game then compared to other areas of Sydney. Furthermore there are no sides on the Central Coast at all, so they should be down there with North Sydney shouldn’t they? The Bears folding was just as much a loss for the Central Coast considering they planned to move there? Then you had the complete disaster that was the Northern Eagles. Shouldn’t they have been completely turned off from league and swarmed to AFL?

What that table for Sydney shows (at least more likely) is the socio-economic divide that is Sydney and how it responds to support for the game - the wealthier areas have less support for the game, whilst the greater concentration of working class people, the greater support for the game. It is not 100% down those lines (Northern Beaches especially is an outlier) but the greater likelihood is there.

On the subject of the Dolphins there were some negotiations which clearly showed that the Broncos didn’t want inner city competition. They (the Dolphins) will hopefully get good support though.

There is an counter argument though that maybe you should go to areas where your competitors are targeting rather than areas where support is already great.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Where did I make an excuse?

I was replying to an incorrect post that every major comp needs 20k to go well.
Haha, so you’ve managed to find one major comp in the world that has a 19k crowd avg. Yep, all nrl clubs need to do is get crowds up to 19k, sell tickets at $150 each and triple tv and merch revenue and there’s no need for them to get big crowds lol

Colk

First Grade
What number? the perth immigrants number?

“Whereas 69.1% of the Australian population was born in Australia this figure falls to 62.3% for Western Australia. As for Perth, 40.8% of the metropolitan population were born outside Australia. Comparable figures for Melbourne and Sydney were 37.4% and 40.7% respectively. In simple demographic terms, then, Perth is more multicultural than Melbourne and Sydney.“

we’ll know more accurately when the 2020 census is released, regardless perth has a very large % of population born overseas and higher than the national avg, yet still draws massive crowds to its indigenous sport.

Anybody who has been to Perth would know that it is quite multicultural.

Won't happen. Don't worry about that.
If they did it right then they could convert East Asians from all over Australia into Dragons fans. There's 1.2 million Chinese Australians. That's the size of Adelaide. Sponsorship deals would sky-rocket if the Dragons had hundreds of thousands of East Asians across the country tuning in to watch them play, especially if it's the only football they watch.

Iamback

Coach
Haha, so you’ve managed to find one major comp in the world that has a 19k crowd avg. Yep, all nrl clubs need to do is get crowds up to 19k, sell tickets at $150 each and triple tv and merch revenue and there’s no need for them to get big crowds lol

the last 3 weeks. There has been 3 country games. Clubs didn't move there for free

Panthers get $300k for going to Bathurst. Lets use that figure to make it easier

Manly $300k
Raiders $300k

Parra go to Darwin in a few weeks. That too will make then a set amount too

In such cases like these 4 crowds are irrelevant.

Magic Round - 8 clubs get paid to host home games

Warriors are getting paid a set amount to stay here.

flippikat

Bench
You wouldn’t have a Kiwi deal without a Kiwi side - btw that was where the greatest increase in the last TV deal has come from.
I disagree, to an extent.

You'd still have a Kiwi deal without the Warriors, but it most likely wouldn't be worth as much without the Warriors.

Interest in the Australian top tier competition - then NSWRL - was growing here circa 1989-1992 because of the "Aussie League on 2" games that TVNZ Channel 2 was screening on free-to-air TV.. this was in the early days of Sky, when they didn't have much of a subscriber base.

You could argue that the Warriors & Sky owe TVNZ (to a degree) for deciding to screen that competition & building a following for the game amongst the casual viewing population.

Anyway, without the Warriors, you'd probably still have a following here.. as there'd still be Kiwis in the comp.. but nothing on having an actual team of ours involved.

MugaB

Coach
Interesting you mention those three areas. Interest in NRL there is strong. Areas without teams drop off;
View attachment 60103

Losing bears hurt.
Inner west and ryde, with tigers being so inept at the moment too... this is actually pretty interesting graph, i like the fact that the small pockets of Sydney seem to be more fanatical, rather than the teams wgo represent a more wider scope, Sutherland, CC, and northern beaches seem to be more in tune with RL along with the Outer West/Blacktown meaning Penrith, Manly and Cronulla are more valued or might be the fact all 3 three teams are doing well on the ladder these past 5 years, theyre also more of a community clubs rather than a club like bronx, roosters or storm who pretend to represent their whole city, with CC being top of that list in sydney maybe its bears or a relocated team could venture there ala what the dragons do at WIN

Perth Red

Post Whore
the last 3 weeks. There has been 3 country games. Clubs didn't move there for free

Panthers get $300k for going to Bathurst. Lets use that figure to make it easier

Manly $300k
Raiders $300k

Parra go to Darwin in a few weeks. That too will make then a set amount too

In such cases like these 4 crowds are irrelevant.

Magic Round - 8 clubs get paid to host home games

Warriors are getting paid a set amount to stay here.
If clubs were drawing 25k plus crowds and selling out boxes they wouldn’t be moving games to country areas for the $300k and 9,000 crowds! 20k pluscrowds brings in over $600k game day revenue plus the spin off of more merch sales and improved corporate sales as atmosphere better, m
seling games to regional areas only makes sense when you’re crowd avg is 14k or less.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Inner west and ryde, with tigers being so inept at the moment too... this is actually pretty interesting graph, i like the fact that the small pockets of Sydney seem to be more fanatical, rather than the teams wgo represent a more wider scope, Sutherland, CC, and northern beaches seem to be more in tune with RL along with the Outer West/Blacktown meaning Penrith, Manly and Cronulla are more valued or might be the fact all 3 three teams are doing well on the ladder these past 5 years, theyre also more of a community clubs rather than a club like bronx, roosters or storm who pretend to represent their whole city, with CC being top of that list in sydney maybe its bears or a relocated team could venture there ala what the dragons do at WIN
But that interest levelit isn’t translating to memberships, merch sales or bums in seats! Traditionally those areas you’ve mentioned are the clubs drawing the smallest crowds.
That graph reminds me of the Roy Morgan polls which are bs When they claim clubs have 500k plus fans!

MugaB

Coach
But that interest levelit isn’t translating to memberships, merch sales or bums in seats! Traditionally those areas you’ve mentioned are the clubs drawing the smallest crowds.
That graph reminds me of the Roy Morgan polls which are bs When they claim clubs have 500k plus fans!
Who gives 2 shits about all that, ...its all about "thats my team", not payin the man, when you have to fork out $160 for a chinese made synthetic jersey, Please, dont even need to be a member to support a team, just turn on the tele, and jibber at the water cooler about moses missing conversions, most fans i know are fans of RL, but would only attend upto 4 games a season, mainly on days of either good weather, or rival matches, total fact is the metrics of attendance, memberships and merchandise isn't quantified into how much support each team has, just coz your a fan, doesnt mean you have to fork out forever the boost clubs bottom line, for some dick measuring contest between clubs or codes

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
If clubs were drawing 25k plus crowds and selling out boxes they wouldn’t be moving games to country areas for the $300k and 9,000 crowds! 20k pluscrowds brings in over $600k game day revenue plus the spin off of more merch sales and improved corporate sales as atmosphere better, m
seling games to regional areas only makes sense when you’re crowd avg is 14k or less.

I don't how many times you need to be told but teams aren't going to draw 25k. For the reasons listed.
Broncos don't even make $600k a game in their huge market.

You are the only person that has an issue with moving games to the bush. There should be more of it. Spreads the love around with less games in the big cities and brings in new markets

Pippen94

First Grade
Your argument doesn’t hold - that there has to be a side in the area for there to be interest or that without a team there is no interest.

There are teams in the inner west and eastern suburbs so how do you explain their relative lack of interest in the game then compared to other areas of Sydney. Furthermore there are no sides on the Central Coast at all, so they should be down there with North Sydney shouldn’t they? The Bears folding was just as much a loss for the Central Coast considering they planned to move there? Then you had the complete disaster that was the Northern Eagles. Shouldn’t they have been completely turned off from league and swarmed to AFL?

What that table for Sydney shows (at least more likely) is the socio-economic divide that is Sydney and how it responds to support for the game - the wealthier areas have less support for the game, whilst the greater concentration of working class people, the greater support for the game. It is not 100% down those lines (Northern Beaches especially is an outlier) but the greater likelihood is there.

On the subject of the Dolphins there were some negotiations which clearly showed that the Broncos didn’t want inner city competition. They (the Dolphins) will hopefully get good support though.

There is an counter argument though that maybe you should go to areas where your competitors are targeting rather than areas where support is already great.

Clearly you never tried to buy a house in Sydney; Manly & Sutherland aren't broke areas.
Central Coast never had a team. North Sydney did but they painfully disappeared & now interest is lowest there. Inner West was magpie (& jets) area, just so you know the history.

There's no evidence that Broncos wanted new team outside of cbd. Stop talking conspiracy.

Pippen94

First Grade

Losing bears clearly hurt game in a large affluent region. Losing other teams will do same.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
i like how people want to restructure the game and because some clubs are struggling they're the ones to be relocated or shafted in some way, but teams go through cycles, wasnt that long ago that Parra where claiming wooden spoons for fun so why not merge Parra and Penrith, why not merge Rooster and Souths, do we need these clubs so close to each other why not ah or maybe just leave it alone, we dont need to cull teams.. eventually (many years) make it a 20 or 22 team comp, play each other once then semi's bring in your WA, SA, NZ etc

You seen many people from sub continent or asia for that matter at Rugby League?

So you have a good slab of people with no interest in the sport

That said in 2019 1,638,922 people in Sydney attended an NRL game.

The Sydney population is 5.3m. So 30% of people attended a game.

This is despite timeslots not being good for attending games, high costs, the people not interested in the sport.

So the only issues are with people living interstate with crazy expectations
Sometimes, I don’t see a lot of ‘hardcore’ RL supporters going to RL games.

When I do go to games, I see very mixed crowds, enjoying themselves.

So really, the product is there, the NRL and clubs need to work on getting the customers there, and get repeat business.

Iamback

Coach
Sometimes, I don’t see a lot of ‘hardcore’ RL supporters going to RL games.

When I do go to games, I see very mixed crowds, enjoying themselves.

So really, the product is there, the NRL and clubs need to work on getting the customers there, and get repeat business.

You don't have to convince me the product is good.

I also see plenty of members seating empty.

How many return is the question?

Clubs would know that answer and hopefully are adjusting their marketing to cater