What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stalled and stagnant Sydney clubs

Pippen94

First Grade
Dragons are one club that should be promoting itself to people of East Asian descent. There's plenty of East Asians in Southern Sydney and the "dragon" is of great spiritual importance in China. The Sunnybank Dragons onionball club has tapped into the large Chinese community that makes up Sunnybank's population and has grown astronomically over the last 20 years.

Won't happen. Don't worry about that.

Pippen94

First Grade
I'm no expert, but from what I've seen the AFL does have a harder time.

The AFL still has serious issues with racism where most accusations of racism in the NRL these days are media beat-ups, and though I obviously don't have data to back this up (if it exists at all it's not public information), from what I have seen grassroots and junior Aussie Rules is by far the least diverse football code in the country. It honestly wouldn't even be close.

Statistically afl is by far the least diverse football code.

Pippen94

First Grade
Bradley report in 1992 recommended 14 clubs. The original Superleague proposal was for 12 clubs.

"...to reduce the number of clubs in Sydney, will be very hard for the League to implement given the long playing traditions of some of those clubs. In the long term, however, it is likely that Sydney is not going to be able to support eleven clubs as it does at present. Therefore in the long term this is the only viable solution. Sydney based clubs are going to have to move to new areas, merge or be relegated from the League. This is going to be a painful process. In the long term I believe that the ARL should be looking to reduce the number of clubs in the National Competition to fourteen, thus allowing clubs to play two complete rounds. This will mean, assuming that only four new clubs are admitted from areas outside Sydney, that there will be only five clubs based in Sydney."

They thought regions would grow, but population growth has been greatest in Sydney. Melbourne & Brisbane. Game would be stronger today if league was mainly Sydney & Brisbane clubs.

Colk

First Grade
They thought regions would grow, but population growth has been greatest in Sydney. Melbourne & Brisbane. Game would be stronger today if league was mainly Sydney & Brisbane clubs.

That comment doesn’t make sense. The competition is mainly Sydney and Brisbane sides.

Colk

First Grade
1 Brisbane side atm. Plus regional clubs that don't offer a lot of value.

You have 9 clubs in Sydney (which is a majority - which is the “mainly” part) and some of them don’t offer a lot of value either.

Pippen94

First Grade
You have 9 clubs in Sydney (which is a majority - which is the “mainly” part) and some of them don’t offer a lot of value either.

Some teams have more value than others, but if you think in 1986 & 1992 they anticipated broadcast rights exploding & most of nsw's population growth being in Sydney then I don't know what to tell you..

Colk

First Grade
If you are really stating that the rights would be the same or similar if the competition didn’t have Melbourne or the Warriors for example then I don’t know what to tell you either.

As soon as the competition expanded outside of NSW then it was always going to come at the cost of some Sydney clubs.

Pippen94

First Grade
If you are really stating that the rights would be the same or similar if the competition didn’t have Melbourne or the Warriors for example then I don’t know what to tell you either.

As soon as the competition expanded outside of NSW then it was always going to come at the cost of some Sydney clubs.

Warriors don't offer much here. Its kiwi deals that they add. Australian broadcasters wouldn't want them in the grand final. Fox & channel 9 wanting team in Brisbane before Perth should tell you everything about which markets are most important.

Colk

First Grade
Warriors don't offer much here. Its kiwi deals that they add. Australian broadcasters wouldn't want them in the grand final. Fox & channel 9 wanting team in Brisbane before Perth should tell you everything about which markets are most important.

Perth could still be picked for team 18 for all we know. If they were, they would automatically one of the more valuable clubs in the competition.

You wouldn’t have a Kiwi deal without a Kiwi side - btw that was where the greatest increase in the last TV deal has come from.

Channel 9 or FTA wanted the extra Brisbane team. I don’t recall Fox clamouring for it but anyway that doesn’t disprove what I have said - if you chopped Cronulla, Penrith or Manly from the competition tomorrow would the impact on the bottom line be as great as if you got rid of say the Warriors, Melbourne, Broncos, Cowboys or the coming Dolphins? I know the death of Norths or Wests or Newtown or Balmain hasn’t affected the bottom line and if they were all extremely valuable to the bottom line and profitable then all of those Sydney clubs would still be around

Pippen94

First Grade
Perth could still be picked for team 18 for all we know. If they were, they would automatically one of the more valuable clubs in the competition.

You wouldn’t have a Kiwi deal without a Kiwi side - btw that was where the greatest increase in the last TV deal has come from.

Channel 9 or FTA wanted the extra Brisbane team. I don’t recall Fox clamouring for it but anyway that doesn’t disprove what I have said - if you chopped Cronulla, Penrith or Manly from the competition tomorrow would the impact on the bottom line be as great as if you got rid of say the Warriors, Melbourne, Broncos, Cowboys or the coming Dolphins? I know the death of Norths or Wests or Newtown or Balmain hasn’t affected the bottom line and if they were all extremely valuable to the bottom line and profitable then all of those Sydney clubs would still be around

Interesting you mention those three areas. Interest in NRL there is strong. Areas without teams drop off;
20220314_130032.jpg

Losing bears hurt.

Iamback

Coach
The NBA's attendance is strictly limited by the nature of having to play in arenas, so you're not comparing like for like.

On top of that the NBA's average ticket price dwarves the NRL's, depending on the team it varied between US$58 to US$473 in 2021. I think it's fair to say that if the NRL was trying to push tickets at a similar price that it's average attendance would totally tank, where as if the NBA had the room in their arenas and had a similar average ticket price to the NRL's that it's attendance numbers would absolutely explode.

So how about we compare ourselves to one of our closest competitors instead of leagues under totally different market pressures to ours, like the AFL for example... Before you start making excuses, attendances similar to the AFL's are definitely achievable in the NRL if we make some changes to how we do things.

Where did I make an excuse?

I was replying to an incorrect post that every major comp needs 20k to go well.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That number isn't right
What number? the perth immigrants number?

“Whereas 69.1% of the Australian population was born in Australia this figure falls to 62.3% for Western Australia. As for Perth, 40.8% of the metropolitan population were born outside Australia. Comparable figures for Melbourne and Sydney were 37.4% and 40.7% respectively. In simple demographic terms, then, Perth is more multicultural than Melbourne and Sydney.“

we’ll know more accurately when the 2020 census is released, regardless perth has a very large % of population born overseas and higher than the national avg, yet still draws massive crowds to its indigenous sport.