What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Original Name

Juniors
Huth outplayed him last night and Huth would be the cheaper option - easy decision IMO - Vaughn is headed for the ESL
Huth can only play that well when he's doing Yeo's role of ball playing. The threat of passing opens up his running game more. When he's playing prop he's not nearly as good Vaughn, his running game just isn't good enough. It's consistently alright, that's it.

Last edited:

age.s

First Grade
Huth can only play that well when he's doing Yeo's role of ball playing. The threat of passing opens up his running game more. When he's playing prop he's not nearly as good Vaughn, his running game just isn't good enough. It's consistently alright, that's it.
To follow on from this, let's not pretend Huth wouldn't look like a gargantuan plodder in that Dogs side.

We're at a point now where I'd 100% back us to get the best (or close to) out of a guy like Vaughan. Only question is whether his attitude is up to it.

Crashtest

Juniors
To follow on from this, let's not pretend Huth wouldn't look like a gargantuan plodder in that Dogs side.

We're at a point now where I'd 100% back us to get the best (or close to) out of a guy like Vaughan. Only question is whether his attitude is up to it.
I think getting the best out of players on the field also comes from getting the best out of them off the field as well with our culture and team first attitude.

A good example is TPJ. Bad attitude, off field dramas and poor performances at Brisbane. Then great attitude, fits in well and performs at his best for his stint at Panthers. Then back to poor attitude, on field discipline issues and mixed performances at the Dogs.

Original Name

Juniors
I think getting the best out of players on the field also comes from getting the best out of them off the field as well with our culture and team first attitude.

A good example is TPJ. Bad attitude, off field dramas and poor performances at Brisbane. Then great attitude, fits in well and performs at his best for his stint at Panthers. Then back to poor attitude, on field discipline issues and mixed performances at the Dogs.
Or he knows he'll have to play 10/10 abolosutely brained it performances type of performances for the Dogs to win and could just do his job for Penrith.

Is Daine Laurie out of favour at W/T? Media suggests there has been little urgency in contract negotiations.
As for TPJ, if goes out to play football he can be a beast, if he goes out to be a tough guy, he can be a liability. Fortunately late 2021 we got the beast.

snickers007

Juniors
Laurie is contracted for 2023, so there is still a fair bit of time before he hits the open market.

But, my take on him is that he went to the Tigers for the money, and the opportunity to play regular NRL.
But he's realised that playing in a shit team is highly detrimental to his development and future career aspirations. And he doesn't have the talent (or the desire) to drag the Tigers out of their hole on his own, so he's started kicking stones at training, and he's banking on his natural flair, and his existing highlight reel to get him a new gig.

His agent is also probably telling him that Madge will be gone by the end of the season, so let's see who the new coach is before doing anything.

Kilkenny

Coach
Big investment. Nathan turns 30 at the end of his last year.

I like it personally, even if there is always a certain amount of risk attached to long term deals. Other than unforeseen serious injury, I don’t think there is any risk attached to Nathan continuing to perform at a very high level.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Big investment. Nathan turns 30 at the end of his last year.

I like it personally, even if there is always a certain amount of risk attached to long term deals. Other than unforeseen serious injury, I don’t think there is any risk attached to Nathan continuing to perform at a very high level.
Yeah he's not a risk with the way he trains and puts in

betcats

Referee
1.1m for Nathan is really a bargain considering what he would get on the open market and what some other players are apparently getting(cough ponga cough). Nathan is someone who can probably see the value in taking less for a number of reasons but a big one would be not gouging us helps us keep a competitive squad around him, besides that his career should go well past this contract and once it is over he is the type who will be able to take his pick of well paid media jobs or get into coaching, or even a bit of both plus obviously his family has got plenty of money so he hasn’t got that burden on him. For us he is the type of player that will make good players want to stay or come here I think, massive win for us knowing he is locked in and not going to the market to test his value and try to get more out of us.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
He could have easily haggled for 1.4/1.5m. 1.1m is enormous for us to keep retaining other players even allowing for the fact it will go up in line with future cap increases.

Kilkenny

Coach
He could have easily haggled for 1.4/1.5m. 1.1m is enormous for us to keep retaining other players even allowing for the fact it will go up in line with future cap increases.
Is the media release or media generally speculating on a figure of $1.1 million. I assume there are add ons and third parties given his marketability. He certainly deserves to be paid equal to some of the other big earners some of whom arguably deliver far less. David Fifita comes to mind given he is report-ably on $1.2 million which is astonishing.

Kilkenny

Coach
I'm sure "Ivan" is making up the rest
Is Ivan now in the $1 million a year bracket for coaches.

I guess he is.

Is there a cap for the coaching / administration staff , it was talked about, was it actually introduced. I thought it was but I could be wrong.

I guess Ivan staying on for the long term ultimately means no succession plan for Cameron Ciraldo. So he in the immediate future needs to find a gig for himself that will not be a death sentence, such as the Garth Brennan to the Titans. Ciraldo will need to be very smart about his first choice head coach appointment.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Is Ivan now in the $1 million a year bracket for coaches.

I guess he is.

Is there a cap for the coaching / administration staff , it was talked about, was it actually introduced. I thought it was but I could be wrong.

I guess Ivan staying on for the long term ultimately means no succession plan for Cameron Ciraldo. So he in the immediate future needs to find a gig for himself that will not be a death sentence, such as the Garth Brennan to the Titans. Ciraldo will need to be very smart about his first choice head coach appointment.
Issue is the only jobs that come up are bad ones. You have to take the leap eventually

Latest posts