What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 8 vs St Geo Illa @ WIN Stadium, Wollongong

Who will win? Round 8: St Geo Illa v Wests Tigers

• St George Illawarra Dragons 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • St George Illawarra Dragons 1-12

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Wests Tigers 13+

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vic Mackey

Referee
I really dont know about this game. I feel it was easy for us to get up for those last two games being heavy under dogs. We havent won three in a row for 4 years and only 3 times in the past 10 years. Those games were both such highs I'm worried theres a let down coming.

Whilst I dont think he's great Laurie is a huge loss as it weakens two positions with Toa having to move there. Ive seen a few people say our backs look better then theirs, I think their backs shit on us from a great height, the forwards is where I see the advantage.

Hoping Simpkin comes in for Liddle and Bird is out, that Amone has been ordinary AF at 5/8.

If Hastings and Brooks can continue to do their thing we are every chance and should win. Looking ar our upcoming draw we need to win 3 of the next 4 to be a shot at the finals and this is a game we cant afford to drop.

I'm feeling pretty confident about this game. In recent years we've owned the dragons like a new car.

They got themselves up for a huge effort last Monday and you could see how much it took out of them. They've a team much like us, that can produce massive upsets but them fall in a heap against a lower ranked team.

Like others have said our commitment will be the key. Can we do it 3 weeks in a row or will we take 2 steps back?

Tigers by 8

I get the feeling we have played two grand finals in a row and there will be a comedown. Hoping we save it a few weeks as we are still in huge trouble table wise, but I feel it could be here.

The dragons have played a dire Newcastle side and a sliding Roosters team. Difficult to know exactly where they are at, but I feel they will have a little too much for us.

Dragons by a dozen

Phil Gould

Juniors
I really dont know about this game. I feel it was easy for us to get up for those last two games being heavy under dogs. We havent won three in a row for 4 years and only 3 times in the past 10 years. Those games were both such highs I'm worried theres a let down coming.

Whilst I dont think he's great Laurie is a huge loss as it weakens two positions with Toa having to move there. Ive seen a few people say our backs look better then theirs, I think their backs shit on us from a great height, the forwards is where I see the advantage.

Hoping Simpkin comes in for Liddle and Bird is out, that Amone has been ordinary AF at 5/8.

If Hastings and Brooks can continue to do their thing we are every chance and should win. Looking ar our upcoming draw we need to win 3 of the next 4 to be a shot at the finals and this is a game we cant afford to drop.
Typical tigers win the impossible wins then lose the next easy match. I like that the tigers have only just scraped in their wins, so they shouldn’t be over-confident, I hope. The dragons on the other hand may be a bit cocky coming into the match, apologies for the pun.

I think the Hastings and Brooks combo is solid. Hastings brings out the best in Brooksy, frees him up to just play what he sees rather than having to try and steer the team. Hastings is what we’ve all been waiting for. At last a good buy. I think he will be targeted by the grubs eventually, hope he doesn’t get taken out!

You make a good point about Laurie being out weakening two positions. Although, To’a did look comfortable and safe as FB, he just doesn’t have the zip and fire in the belly that Laurie does but he at least seems safe.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
and now for a bit of fantasy..if we win 9 in a row we will be doing better than when we won the comp. (especially if it is the last 9 games including the GF)

WA Tiger

Bench
I know it sounds obvious but if our forwards and halves can get us on the front foot our backs including Gildart Toa Nofo and Maimalo can attack creatively. The alternative is not pretty..
Us by 1

MasterTiger

Juniors
Tough game. But I suspect Hastings is a winner and wants to win every game. The big question is can others go with him. If they do we will win.

Tigerm

First Grade
I actually reckon our packs are evenly matched, if you look at the individual match ups

its in the backs where I think saints murder us
It's funny how we all see things differently?

While our backline can improve, atm it's going pretty well and against a couple of ex-WT players (who are still offering not much) I don't see too many demons in the Drag's backs at all?
Though do agree Hunt is playing extremely well for a change and will be interesting if Bird plays?
But our wingers are getting the ball and are lethal atm and should get us the money.

Added: I think the goal kicking from both teams will be crucial to end result.

Last edited:

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
It's funny how we all see things differently?

While our backline can improve, atm it's going pretty well and against a couple of ex-WT players (who are still offering not much) I don't see too many demons in the Drag's backs at all?
Though do agree Hunt is playing extremely well for a change and will be interesting if Bird plays?
But our wingers are getting the ball and are lethal atm and should get us the money.

Added: I think the goal kicking from both teams will be crucial to end result.
Of course if we play anywhere near the standard we have the last couple weeks we have a big chance of winning. No discredit to Saints but they are a level below the opposition we have been playing recently

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
Forwards are evenly matched, penalties from Burgess & McGuire could be telling.

Luciano to have a big one against his former team.

Just like the Broncs have it over the Sharks, Tigers have it over the Dragons.
Yeah despite how crap we have been over the years, there has always been one team we've always been able to beat and that's Saints. Starting to get into weird hoodoo territory lol

WA Tiger

Bench
I want to see Mbye being too scared to commit to killing a lose ball coz of our big forwards bearing down on him, resulting in the winning try to WT, like I saw happen over the last couple of weeks.

Last edited: