What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most hyped youngster that went nowhere?

Some have said Karl Filiga. He actually signed on as Karl McNichol.
I have a little story about that.
I was doing all the pre-works for months around Shark Park to get it ready to build the Monty Porter stand. Every day I had my lunch in the ET Stand.
One day while I was eating, Sticky sat 10m away from me with one of the Orr brothers and this kid. Sticky glanced at me a few times to see if I was listening in, I wasn't, I couldn't really hear them anyway.
After they left I asked one of the kids who was working as a groundsman, who also played U20's and a bit of Reserve Grade, who the kid was in the stand. His reply, Karl McNichol. I asked if he was any good, he replied "he has a good shoulder charge, that's about it"
He was right.
Bit of a furphy about his wage as well. He had a base wage of 60k, if he played so many 1st grade games it would fo up to 200k. He only played 10 minutes, so it was never triggered.
Here's another kid who was a groundsman there who kind of fits this thread, Joel Romelo.

mozza91

Coach
Wes Patton
Joel Romelo
Cory Paterson
Michael Parker-Walsh

Obviously has time to change it but Tanah Boyd is headed down this path.

Wizardman

First Grade
Balmain Tiger fans would remember this bloke....Michael Brown. He was a reserve grade hooker under Benny Elias for a lot of the early 90s. He had all the wraps.....some touted him as a first grade hooker at most other clubs. When he got his chance after Elias retired in 1994, he was so f**king shit. He had absolutely nothing extra in his game.

T-Boon

Coach
Corey Allen
William Hopoate
Leon Bott
I remember watching a certain player in the Newcastle junior comp coming through there rep system. He was phenomenal and the best junior player I've ever seen in my life. I spend most weekends watching the junior grades in different regions of Sydney and no one comes close. He would score tries from his own half on a regular basis. He had speed, strength and that natural footballer instinct. I remember thinking how this kid's going to be the greatest rugby league player of all time. I remember a young Andrew John's coming to watch a match and the kid did his usual thing by chipping over the top regathering and stepping past 3 players to score . I looked over at John's and his jaw had hit the floor. I'm not sure what went wrong but if he just played to 1/5th of that ability in first grade. He still would of been a origin/country player. I'm sure you all know who I'm talking about but to make it fun. I'll give the first correct answer a VB bottle cap
Yeah I’d say Craigie?

Wizardman

First Grade
" God bless religion
A career very much mis-managed. To be out of top grade rugby league for two years and try to get back to where you were is an impossible task. I don't count Jordan Rapana in this as his first real exposure to rugby league was after that mission. Even then, it took him a good solid four years or so before he was regarded as a top liner winger.
Will Hoppa never bridged that gap.....still had a long, decent career. Interesting, as his career started to wane at the Bulldogs, he ditched his "no play on Sunday" rule as his form made his contract very much expendable. In his quiet times, he'd have to look back with some "what if's".
I give a dickhead like Bronson Xerri no chance of coming close to the potential he showed before his suspension. I'd be shocked if he played first grade again.

T-Boon

Coach
I think Owen Craigie has a claim on best junior career all time. He is the only player to make the Australian schoolboys from year 10 and play 3 years.

nick87

Coach
What about that dragons hooker that was the next cam smith
What is Mitch Rein?

people were on him for years as the next big thing and he just bounced around clubs as a back up

Latest posts