What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off Contract 2022

Who do we keep and who do we let go?
I'm not seeing any choices here that will really benefit the club.

2023 PLAYER MOVEMENTS
2023 GAINS
None
2023 LOSSES
Mitch Barnett (New Zealand Warriors)
RE-SIGNED
Mat Croker (2024), Kalyn Ponga (2027)
OFF CONTRACT 2022
Phoenix Crossland, Tex Hoy, Edrick Lee, Dylan Lucas, Anthony Milford, Jirah Momoisea, Brayden Musgrove, Jason Purcell, Simi Sasagi, Pasami Saulo, Sauaso Sue

Jono078

Referee
Edrick Lee - arguably our best winger and you'd keep him for depth at least.
Dylan Lucas - I don't know enough about, but he seems solid any time I've seen him. Is he potential FG quality?
Milford - TBA but will instantly be one of our best spine players.
Purcell - I know nothing about.
Sasagi - absolutely worth continuing to see how he develops

Signing any of the others tells me we accept mediocrity and haven't learnt a thing over the past couple of years in regards to what those players are capable of.

Sir Galahad

Juniors
OFF CONTRACT 2022
Phoenix Crossland, Tex Hoy, Edrick Lee, Dylan Lucas, Anthony Milford, Jirah Momoisea, Brayden Musgrove, Jason Purcell, Simi Sasagi, Pasami Saulo, Sauaso Sue
Keep ( youth with potential ) - Lucas, Purcell, Sasagi and maybe Momiosea ( 3 maybe 4 )

Bye Bye the rest ( 7 maybe 8 ) - I'd like to keep Milford if possible. Momiosea not sure.

perverse

Referee
The fun really starts in 2023

Jake Clifford, Adam Clune, Lachlan Fitzgibbon, Tyson Frizell, Bailey Hodgson, Hymel Hunt, Jack Johns, Brodie Jones, David Klemmer, Kurt Mann, Chris Randall, Leo Thompson, Enari Tuala, Dominic Young

Keep - Clifford, Hodgson, Klemmer, Thompson, Young and Frizell might have another year or 2 in him

Bye Bye the rest total 8

that makes around half the squad turn over in the next 2 years - I live in hope.
Out of all of those blokes, I only think Clifford (with no upgrade), Klem (with a pay cut - as much as he works hard - he is not a NSW and Aus prop forward anymore, we're paying him 800k+), Friz (probably on less too), and Young are the ones I would definitely keep. I'd like to see how Hunt goes this year before making a judgement there.

The rest either haven't proven themselves or just aren't up to it for mine.

Jono078

Referee
I think Hodgson would surely be retained unless we get Pryce from UK? Hodgson just needs to not get injured and play some games so we can see if he's up to it or not.

perverse

Referee
I think Hodgson would surely be retained unless we get Pryce from UK? Hodgson just needs to not get injured and play some games so we can see if he's up to it or not.
No idea, I've never seen him play... but I don't know how long we keep investing in a guy that's played a handful of games in 2 years. He needs to be tested between now and decision time on his contract, I suppose.

aqua_duck

Coach
Edrick Lee - arguably our best winger and you'd keep him for depth at least.
Dylan Lucas - I don't know enough about, but he seems solid any time I've seen him. Is he potential FG quality?
Milford - TBA but will instantly be one of our best spine players.
Purcell - I know nothing about.
Sasagi - absolutely worth continuing to see how he develops

Signing any of the others tells me we accept mediocrity and haven't learnt a thing over the past couple of years in regards to what those players are capable of.
i think deep down we both know a few of those blokes will be given new deals out of sympathy more than anything else

macavity

Referee
i think deep down we both know a few of those blokes will be given new deals out of sympathy more than anything else

reality is we need to fill a squad, and letting all of them go means we have better options - and we probably don’t. What young kid with potential is coming here

aqua_duck

Coach
reality is we need to fill a squad, and letting all of them go means we have better options - and we probably don’t. What young kid with potential is coming here
realistically AOB has scorched the earth so badly we probably need to adopt a Brian Smith money ball style approach

Sir Galahad

Juniors
Out of all of those blokes, I only think Clifford (with no upgrade), Klem (with a pay cut - as much as he works hard - he is not a NSW and Aus prop forward anymore, we're paying him 800k+), Friz (probably on less too), and Young are the ones I would definitely keep. I'd like to see how Hunt goes this year before making a judgement there.

The rest either haven't proven themselves or just aren't up to it for mine.
totally agree, some pay cuts are in order.

I had Hodgson and Thompson because they're young and have some tomorrows ,only squad fillers at this stage.

Sir Galahad

Juniors
No idea, I've never seen him play... but I don't know how long we keep investing in a guy that's played a handful of games in 2 years. He needs to be tested between now and decision time on his contract, I suppose.
Watson played about 50% and Lee 30% of contracted games, and the rest of the time injured and Knights re-sign them.

With the raps on Hodgson he'll get a 5 year multi-million dollar up-grade

Woosh

Head Moderator
Watson played about 50% and Lee 30% of contracted games, and the rest of the time injured and Knights re-sign them.

You can say the same thing about Brailey.
Newcastle was better off signing Koroisau for the next couple seasons and get Brailey playing the McInnes role.

Old dog

Juniors
Are we carried away with our Pom Hodgson, hasn’t done much but physio, we want to move Ponga our multi millionaire F/b to 6 and will fill our 1 spot with a injured unproven ESL player who is still in early stages of career if he can get on the field.
Let him get fit, play a few games at least in F/b position, show potential then consider moves if Ponga is in agreeable

Sir Galahad

Juniors
You can say the same thing about Brailey.
Newcastle was better off signing Koroisau for the next couple seasons and get Brailey playing the McInnes role.
yep, played 50% of his games and got a multi-year extension.

I like your suggestion, with Brailey's history it's a very good idea. A Koroisau type player would also add some much needed experience to the squad.

Jono078

Referee
Koroisau is off to the Tigers next year I’m pretty sure. So forget about that.

There’s a real lack of good 9s in the comp. I thought our reserve dummy half looked pretty crisp tbh.

Woosh

Head Moderator

There’s a real lack of good 9s in the comp. I thought our reserve dummy half looked pretty crisp tbh.

Yeah he is but was just pointing out how Newcastle missed the boat.
Can’t rely on Brailey to stay on the field and despite Koroisau’s age, he’s still the number 2 hooker in the game behind Grant.

Old dog

Juniors

Huth I assume but Wilkinson has been keeping him out, both played last week along with Rugless, Flegg hooker I believe so have a few coming through

Jono078

Referee
Huth I assume but Wilkinson has been keeping him out, both played last week along with Rugless, Flegg hooker I believe so have a few coming through
Pretty sure it’s Huth I’m talking about. #18.

Nice to know we have something decent coming through!

Latest posts