What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd10: Eels v Roosters GAME DAY THREAD @ Suncorp 15/5/22

lucablight

First Grade
Yeah the side sitting in the top four should've been blown off the park ffs. We've played ten games and half of them have been against the top five teams currently on the ladder. Of those five we've won about half. Against the five teams below us on the ladder we've won 80%. We have a solid squad but we shouldn't expect to belt the teams on our level, like the Cowboys, Sharks or Roosters. At home we should expect to beat them a bit more than half the time and away from home we should expect to win a bit less than half. It's a shame we lost all three but we did beat the two best teams twice, so it all comes out in the wash.
You really think the Cowboys roster is comparable to ours?

hindy111

Post Whore
Yeah the side sitting in the top four should've been blown off the park ffs. We've played ten games and half of them have been against the top five teams currently on the ladder. Of those five we've won about half. Against the five teams below us on the ladder we've won 80%. We have a solid squad but we shouldn't expect to belt the teams on our level, like the Cowboys, Sharks or Roosters. At home we should expect to beat them a bit more than half the time and away from home we should expect to win a bit less than half. It's a shame we lost all three but we did beat the two best teams twice, so it all comes out in the wash.

After our big win against Penrith I thought we may of turned corner. But we are what we are and I should always go with my footy brain and original thoughts rather then my heart.
Hot garbage.

I'm surprised you're not feeling similar after the shit we dished up today. It was a great comeback but it felt like it just woke the Roosters up at 25-24 and they went up a gear while we crumbled.

Find a star for me. How many minutes has Bryce actualy played this season. And how many LBAS and TAs does he have.

I'd love to see it. For the life of me I don't understand why he isn't giving him a red hot go. Persists with Makatao and Kafusi who barely do job most weeks.

hindy111

Post Whore
You really think the Cowboys roster is comparable to ours?

Reality is in 10 games we started favourites 8 times and lost 4 of them. Offset by our great wins against Storm and Penrith.

What a bizarre footy side we have. Capable of beating the best and losing to the worse. I've never seen a side like this before tbh. To me it spells poor tactics and players on decline and only able to get up for special occasions.

lucablight

First Grade
Reality is in 10 games we started favourites 8 times and lost 4 of them. Offset by our great wins against Storm and Penrith.

What a bizarre footy side we have. Capable of beating the best and losing to the worse. I've never seen a side like this before tbh. To me it spells poor tactics and players on decline and only able to get up for special occasions.
I think our great forward pack is masking our goal line attacking woes. Imagine how bad we’d be if we didn’t enjoy such dominant field position so much of the time. As you previously stated we rely far too much on opposition errors or individual brilliance to score our tries. That’s not a reliable way to win games because the opposition isn’t always going to make mistakes and individual brilliance plays don’t always come off. I don’t know what has happened to the goal line defence. It was pretty decent back in 2020. Now it seems inevitable that we’re going to concede points when the opposition is attacking our try line.

lucablight

First Grade
They have six premiership winners ffs. We have one. They will also have more players picked in Origin, plus Taumalolo.
You’re not arguing in good faith. Who cares if they have 6 premiership winners from 7 years ago? Meaningless stat. How many of those were elite players who are still performing at a high level today? I’d Taumalolo and Holmes. It’s also a ridiculous circular argument. Until our players win a premiership the team will have no value but they can’t win a premiership because they have no premiership experience. Wait what? The origin argument isn’t convincing either. They have more QLD based players so they probably will get more players selected because most of our players are from NSW who are the dominant state at the moment. If the likes of Blake, Moses, RCG, Papali’i and Matterson were eligible for QLD. They’d be a huge shot at getting picked.

eels_fan

First Grade
Haven’t read the last 29 pages having been at the game and then trying to remove the immediate post game emotion haven’t looked at or read anything since.

Was disappointed to see us lose as we really had all the momentum at one point mid way thru that second half. First half killed us.

If Dyl looks inside or doesn’t kick as hard with 3 to go…. Ehh it’s all inconsequential now.

We’ve clearly got a top 8 team. We’ll make the finals. That’s fine for 10 weeks into the comp. The consistency needs to come after the origin period however. I’d rather build than win 9 from 10 to start and then lose 4 from 5 mid year.

that’s probably not negative enough to be acceptable post-game commentary, but the way I see it the roosters played their best game and we were a tad off ours, and that’s all it takes.

manly game a must win though next week

hineyrulz

Post Whore
You’re not arguing in good faith
When does he ever??? He loves both sides of the street and moving those goalposts. He will now come at me with some psycho babble that will make my eyes bleed.

The fact is it's never the coaches fault no matter what and we are not in the inner sanctum and have not enough data to question anything he does. I mean after 9 years we don't have enough data lol. Kearney would still be here if he had his way.

IFR33K

Coach
Haven’t read the last 29 pages having been at the game and then trying to remove the immediate post game emotion haven’t looked at or read anything since.

Was disappointed to see us lose as we really had all the momentum at one point mid way thru that second half. First half killed us.

If Dyl looks inside or doesn’t kick as hard with 3 to go…. Ehh it’s all inconsequential now.

We’ve clearly got a top 8 team. We’ll make the finals. That’s fine for 10 weeks into the comp. The consistency needs to come after the origin period however. I’d rather build than win 9 from 10 to start and then lose 4 from 5 mid year.

that’s probably not negative enough to be acceptable post-game commentary, but the way I see it the roosters played their best game and we were a tad off ours, and that’s all it takes.

manly game a must win though next week

Glad you’re confident we’ll make the 8.

Gronk

Staff member
No hate for Reed and Reg for the first try defensive shit storm ?

Gutho for failing to gather the rolling ball for the second try ?

Opacic for being binned which led to the Walker 3rd try because Gutho was making up numbers in the line ?

No praise for our resilience in not putting the queue in the rack at half time ?

No praise for Moses who clearly was was the best on the park ?

No focus on how Dylan stopped a huge backrower with a solid tackle and because the merkin was falling, penalty Roosters in front of the posts, game over (5 behind to 7 behind) ?

What about both Jnr and Nrown only running 70 odd metres each ?

Nah, lets post scarcasm about the guy in the box, because it was his fault.

Happy Monday merkins. #thisisparramatta

hindy111

Post Whore
No hate for Reed and Reg for the first try defensive shit storm ?

Gutho for failing to gather the rolling ball for the second try ?

Opacic for being binned which led to the Walker 3rd try because Gutho was making up numbers in the line ?

No praise for our resilience in not putting the queue in the rack at half time ?

No praise for Moses who clearly was was the best on the park ?

No focus on how Dylan stopped a huge backrower with a solid tackle and because the merkin was falling, penalty Roosters in front of the posts, game over (5 behind to 7 behind) ?

What about both Jnr and Nrown only running 70 odd metres each ?

Nah, lets post scarcasm about the guy in the box, because it was his fault.

Happy Monday merkins. #thisisparramatta

We where brilliant. It was a gallant effort

84 Baby

Referee
Having 24 play the balls in the opposition 20m zone and being down 25-6 in the first half. Compare that to when the Roosters had field position. So from a coaching perspective I’d say our 20m attacking plays aren’t great and neither is the goal line defence.
We played completely ass backward in the first half. We attacked through the middle in our half then tried to go round them in their half. Our first try was off the back having the Roosters trying to hold the middle. Frustrating that we didn’t continue to drag them in the same way in their 20m.

hindy111

Post Whore
As I said earlier. The score probably doesn't reflect what happened. The Roosters where dominant. At 25-24 I thought we would roll over them but they just went up another gear and we didn't seem able to go with them. We looked gassed.

We are not creating overlaps. And that is why our wingers are barely scoring tries. Sides are getting inside our red zone and have us scrambling every time and finding holes.
Our defense is becoming very poor. Our attack looks a bit clueless and as GUS said, there is just no plan.

We have the nucleus of a good side and certainly capable. Execution wasn't there yesterday. Unsure why we seem to only be able to put in 1 or 2 good games in a row. Perhaps back end of the year we will??

N.Brown surely goes to the bench this week. I'm amazed Matterson isn't starting. He is our form forward while Brown is looking like his best days are gone. And give Bryce some minutes. He can break down a defense and needs game time.

eel01s

Bench
We won't win anything with our defence. Again Storm and Panthers we showed we can play at a high level, but we can't do it consistently.

Why not? We are fit enough, aren't we? Is it mental?

Our attack is pedestrian at best. Who is responsible for the lack of set plays?

I know we are struggling with the injuries in the backs, but surely Russell had to play yesterday if fit.

One comment on the officiating. The penalty against Brown for the high shot was ridiculous. Brown tackles the player, he stays down. Ref has no ruling. So, instead of taking the player off, we have an extended stoppage. Bunker looks at replay after replay and then tells ref there was contact with the head. Penalty and on report. Replay shows the Rooster drop his head into the arm, not the arm slide up into the face.

Did the Rooster have to go off for a HIA? I note Sualli did not after his head knock.

hindy111

Post Whore
On fullback Teddys defense was poor at times. Turbo is out of sorts. Gutherson been very poor this season. Latrells been injured. Ponga dissapointing.
So many good players not going well currently

Gronk

Staff member
N.Brown surely goes to the bench this week. I'm amazed Matterson isn't starting. He is our form forward while Brown is looking like his best days are gone. And give Bryce some minutes. He can break down a defense and needs game time.
I thought you were a student of the game ? Why do you think that he spends most of the game on the field from 20m mark when our props rotate ? You want to weaken our bench more ?

I hope that Marata is back soon.

Latest posts