What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd10: Eels v Roosters GAME DAY THREAD @ Suncorp 15/5/22

Soto

Bench
Interestingly I was watching the pre-game of both teams in the sheds and the roosters were going full tilt in their warm ups and we were meandering. Said to my children Roosters look on and we look too relaxed. My gut was right. We were not in the game at the start. They came to play and we were happy to watch.
May as well have been with me on the couch as I was a passenger just like some of our players

lucablight

First Grade
This team can’t defend their goal line without conceding points and doesn’t score enough points in the 20m zone even with mountains of possession. It was really bad to have 24 tackles in the red zone in the first half and not come away with any points (not including the individual brilliance try set up by Moses). When the Roosters had their chances they took them and that was the difference. We did well to come back and make it close but created too much of a mountain to climb. I think having a recognised winger to replace Perham will be a huge help as he is a huge liability in defence.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Only a dickhead would think we are certain Top 4 material based on our efforts so far. Need to pull our fingers out of our coights in defence to make it happen.
I agree, how much of that is due to quality of roster or quality of coaching??? Maybe even a bit of both, but the coach challenged his players today and they didn't aim up bar 15 mins when we were down by 19 points.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Where did we fail from a coaching perspective, Jack Gibson?

Now is your time to shine and educate the rest of us simpletons.

Make it count.
Well being unable to again use a bench properly didn't help, Lane was gassed badly before he was finally replaced and he plays Papa massively on edge in steamy humid conditions and people wonder why he struggles to defend for 80's...........

lucablight

First Grade
Where did we fail from a coaching perspective, Jack Gibson?

Now is your time to shine and educate the rest of us simpletons.

Make it count.
Having 24 play the balls in the opposition 20m zone and being down 25-6 in the first half. Compare that to when the Roosters had field position. So from a coaching perspective I’d say our 20m attacking plays aren’t great and neither is the goal line defence.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
This team can’t defend their goal line without conceding points and doesn’t score enough points in the 20m zone even with mountains of possession. It was really bad to have 24 tackles in the red zone in the first half and not come away with any points (not including the individual brilliance try set up by Moses). When the Roosters had their chances they took them and that was the difference. We did well to come back and make it close but created too much of a mountain to climb. I think having a recognised winger to replace Perham will be a huge help as he is a huge liability in defence.
Having a midget on the wing against two of the tallest wingers and better leapers in the NRL was also some more genius coaching especially when Russell is back for injury. What now changes??? Because Russell couldn't get any more game time under his belt in reserve grade.

Do we need any more proof our coach is a potato???

hindy111

Post Whore
The issue is Rooster created chances and overlaps. I thought Simmonsons was great and shut down a few tries.
We could of won. His kick being a little to deep, His double movement and Dylan Browns kick touching the post giving a 7 tackle set where killers.

But its doesn't change the fact that when attacking their line we never look dangerous or have them stretched. Rare we can find an overlap. Some games when possesion favours you and the bounce of the ball we will run over sides due to fatigue. Or score off opportunistic things like a bomb or individual brilliance. Problem is these are not consistent things and never will be. That's why our form is so patchy. When it goes our way we look good. I'm unsure we are able to create much when it doesn't.

One of the form players in the comp right now is Ryan Matterson. N.Brown to me looks done as a player. He has gone from our best forward to what? I predicted this early last season. Who is he better then now?
Rcg,Jnr,Marata,Matto,Papali'i, Lane are all better. So he sits at 7th best forward we have. Rapid decline. He has to come off the bench. Maybe it will bring some energy but Matterson got to start and play 80 similar to Yeo. Unsure why BA is unable to see this.
Makatoa and Kafusi offer very little. Bryce needs game time. He is capable of x factor.

I think our season will be exactly what we are seeing. Win a few lose a few. This squad isn't capable of going on a 7 or 8 game winning streak.

Lot of work to do on attack and defense. They'll be better with a few guys back but I honestly expected to blow the Roosters away. After 10 mins I saw a lazy and lethargic football side.

Soto

Bench
The issue is Rooster created chances and overlaps. I thought Simmonsons was great and shut down a few tries.
We could of won. His kick being a little to deep, His double movement and Dylan Browns kick touching the post giving a 7 tackle set where killers.

But its doesn't change the fact that when attacking their line we never look dangerous or have them stretched. Rare we can find an overlap. Some games when possesion favours you and the bounce of the ball we will run over sides due to fatigue. Or score off opportunistic things like a bomb or individual brilliance. Problem is these are not consistent things and never will be. That's why our form is so patchy. When it goes our way we look good. I'm unsure we are able to create much when it doesn't.

One of the form players in the comp right now is Ryan Matterson. N.Brown to me looks done as a player. He has gone from our best forward to what? I predicted this early last season. Who is he better then now?
Rcg,Jnr,Marata,Matto,Papali'i, Lane are all better. So he sits at 7th best forward we have. Rapid decline. He has to come off the bench. Maybe it will bring some energy but Matterson got to start and play 80 similar to Yeo. Unsure why BA is unable to see this.
Makatoa and Kafusi offer very little. Bryce needs game time. He is capable of x factor.

I think our season will be exactly what we are seeing. Win a few lose a few. This squad isn't capable of going on a 7 or 8 game winning streak.

Lot of work to do on attack and defense. They'll be better with a few guys back but I honestly expected to blow the Roosters away. After 10 mins I saw a lazy and lethargic football side.
Apart from saying blowing roosters apart which was never going to happen as them, souffs and manly are real bogey sides for us the rest is 100% correct

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I honestly expected to blow the Roosters away
Yeah the side sitting in the top four should've been blown off the park ffs. We've played ten games and half of them have been against the top five teams currently on the ladder. Of those five we've won about half. Against the five teams below us on the ladder we've won 80%. We have a solid squad but we shouldn't expect to belt the teams on our level, like the Cowboys, Sharks or Roosters. At home we should expect to beat them a bit more than half the time and away from home we should expect to win a bit less than half. It's a shame we lost all three but we did beat the two best teams twice, so it all comes out in the wash.

the phantom menace

First Grade
It was a big ordinary to be behind like that at half time - though not quite unexpected from this lot after the super effort over the Panthers the week before.

Just not a lot of juice in the tank, and not enough of a change to the bench to give the forwards more of a break (e.g. Greig in the 17 instead of Bryce and playing some real minutes in the rotations?) to make up for the instensity of last week. Might not have changed the result, but with Manly ahead of us next week I would have thought it was worth a try...

Come back in second half shows they corrected after the half time talk and didn't give up on themselves etc, but ultimately too little to late, and suddenly we find ourselves in 6th place? Makes the Manly game a bit of a must win now... and the pressure's definitely back on this lot this week.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What does consistency mean then? Are we in the NRL just to beat Melbourne and Penrith?
We're in the NRL to win the comp, which means getting to the finals and winning three or four games in a row. The chances of that aren't high for any club given all the competition, but we are a chance. I reckon about 10-15%. It's very exciting.