What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Perth Red

Post Whore
Im exicited, Perth is getting some representation in the NRL, aren't you, means you get to see live games all season!!! Who cares if its the bears, i would much prefer it be the Reds, but if PVL likes it, he'll most likely push it thru asap, then can sell the 9th game, and we can look further down the line to the P.I.s or NZ2 after for 19th & 20th.. if perth gets this, its a win for RL, not because of the revival of the bears but because the league is back to being somewhat national again, and they'll be WA govt backing to help the jrs, you keep saying need more funding, lets pretend it wasn't the bears, and was sunshine coast falcons, or easts tigers for example, them coming to perth, and injecting themselves as the 1st grade presence, getting the top down approach, that the reds had in the past... good times for perth, if all parties swing this way... i just hope to christ the bears don't push this NSO agenda, perth needs 10+ games minimum
After waiting so long its a bit like accepting sloppy seconds lol.
Of course it could work if it is set up right with at least 80% WA ownership, a cast iron guarantee that if it fails the license will be offered only to Perth bidders and will never revert back to the Bears, at least 10 games are guaranteed for Perth EVERY year, that the team also hosts Jnrs and reserves based in Perth as well as the Bears set up, that Bears contribute funds annually and that north sydney is not in the branding. Maybe then I could get behind it fully. It'd be quite fun to head over to Sydney for a WA Bears home game once a year lol.

Shame though I was really hoping to see a Pirate ship built at HBF park!

Wb1234

Referee
Peter V’landys is often pulled up in the street and asked about the old North Sydney Bears. “Wherever I go every third person asks me when are you bringing back the Bears,” V’landys said on Sunday when contacted in regard to a bold joint venture proposal between Western Australia and the Bears as the 18th team in the NRL.

While the two parties have a long way to go to reach any agreement, V’landys like the idea of an allegiance between one of the game’s most famous old clubs and Perth where there is huge government and corporate support.

“One thing I’ve learned in rugby league is that the Bears have an extremely popular brand,” V’landys said.

“However there’s already enough Sydney teams so doing it with an area like Perth makes sense.

“You’re getting the best of both. A great brand and a new supporter base.”

Chairman of the Australian Rugby League Commission Peter V'landys says its early days, but was excited by the idea of a Bears team in Perth. V’landys insists it’s early days and the NRL’s focus right now is on the Dolphins entering the competition next year as the 17th team.

However an 18th side would provide nine games each weekend and significantly increase broadcast revenue. It also opens up a new timeslot from Western Australia.

The fact the Warriors have struggled to make any real impact should rule out having a second team in New Zealand in the immediate future.

It would be worse having another struggling Kiwi team alongside the ordinary one we already have.

A WA-Bears joint venture will be judged very much on their business model rather than the emotion around the Bears.

V’landys knows the Bears remains a popular NRL brand, despite exiting the NRL in 1999 after merging with the Sea Eagles to become the Northern Eagles. “We went with the Dolphins for the 17th because they had a strong business case,” V'landys said.

“They were financially strong and we wouldn’t have to subsidise them.

“It’s about bringing in fans that aren’t currently engaged in rugby league because you don’t want a new team taking supporters from the current clubs.

“The Dolphins proved to us they weren’t going to take anything away from the Titans or Broncos.

“They did a significant analysis that showed they could bring 200,000 new fans to rugby league.

“We used that to generate more money from the broadcasters.

“Whoever gets the 18th team has to do the same. They have to engage new people to the sport.”
This has got little to do with perth and a lot to do with Sydney, surprise surprise
Lmao the wa state government just found a way to put themselves ahead of nz2. This wasn’t vlandys idea

this is coming for the wa govt

I think it’s brilliant how they have done this too they’ve put themselves in the box seat

Wb1234

Referee
I liked the pirates moniker it’s a great brand

but this could be a winner not just for Perth

any old north Sydney fans will be going to the away games in Sydney so the Sydney clubs will support this as it boosts their crowds (even by a little bit)

perhaps as well they can get 10k season tickets just from old bears fans which together with what they get in Perth could mean they get millions from season tickets like south’s too

Perth’s biggest hurdle was vlandys

he’s done a complete 180 from rusted on afl states not deserving a team to him supporting the bid

the wa state government have made this all happen. It’s a good result for rugby league

Wb1234

Referee
Im exicited, Perth is getting some representation in the NRL, aren't you, means you get to see live games all season!!! Who cares if its the bears, i would much prefer it be the Reds, but if PVL likes it, he'll most likely push it thru asap, then can sell the 9th game, and we can look further down the line to the P.I.s or NZ2 after for 19th & 20th.. if perth gets this, its a win for RL, not because of the revival of the bears but because the league is back to being somewhat national again, and they'll be WA govt backing to help the jrs, you keep saying need more funding, lets pretend it wasn't the bears, and was sunshine coast falcons, or easts tigers for example, them coming to perth, and injecting themselves as the 1st grade presence, getting the top down approach, that the reds had in the past... good times for perth, if all parties swing this way... i just hope to christ the bears don't push this NSO agenda, perth needs 10+ games minimum
Vlandys said himself it’s got to be a Perth team and not another Sydney team

one home game a year at nso is plenty

Perth Red

Post Whore
I liked the pirates moniker it’s a great brand

but this could be a winner not just for Perth

any old north Sydney fans will be going to the away games in Sydney so the Sydney clubs will support this as it boosts their crowds (even by a little bit)

perhaps as well they can get 10k season tickets just from old bears fans which together with what they get in Perth could mean they get millions from season tickets like south’s too

Perth’s biggest hurdle was vlandys

he’s done a complete 180 from rusted on afl states not deserving a team to him supporting the bid

the wa state government have made this all happen. It’s a good result for rugby league
I'm comfortable we can get 20k members straight up in perth regardless of brand. If there are 10k Bears fans in Sydney who would also sign up to this, that puts us up over 30k members early doors. That would be quite significant for the clubs presence from very early in its life. Interestingly I'm not seeing much push back on social media from RL fans here in perth who support another club currently, that is a key thing for me. A new neutral club wouldn't have any "tribalism" baggage attached here from the ex pats, but it seems Bears have been gone long enough for it not to be an issue for fans here either.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If nothing else Vossy will be excited to see the old Bears jerseys in the crowd again every Sydney away game lol.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lmao the wa state government just found a way to put themselves ahead of nz2. This wasn’t vlandys idea

this is coming for the wa govt

I think it’s brilliant how they have done this too they’ve put themselves in the box seat
you missed the point, they know how sydney centric Vlandys is, so yes bringing back a dead Sydney club does make sense to strengthen a bid, not because it is necessarily the best option, but because it floats Vlandys boat.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes.... one trial game
I'd be ok with a trial game and a heritage round game at NSO v Manly to start with, then move it to SFS if it actually draws a crowd, play it on a Sunday afternoon. Could become quite a boost to funds and attendances and allows the sale of a Sydney membership which includes this game and maybe 2 or 3 others against key clubs. eels, souths, manly maybe? (manly if they get their dump sorted out)

What I guess it also does is gives us an instant rivalry with Manly lol. Was there anyone else that was classed as "rivals" to the Bears?

MugaB

Coach
I'm comfortable we can get 20k members straight up in perth regardless of brand. If there are 10k Bears fans in Sydney who would also sign up to this, that puts us up over 30k members early doors. That would be quite significant for the clubs presence from very early in its life. Interestingly I'm not seeing much push back on social media from RL fans here in perth who support another club currently, that is a key thing for me. A new neutral club wouldn't have any "tribalism" baggage attached here from the ex pats, but it seems Bears have been gone long enough for it not to be an issue for fans here either.
I feel there was never much of a stigma regarding the bears, when they were playing in NSWRL, where most other teams had some sort of baggage, manly was always hated, wests just beat everyone up, souths were unlucky, chooks bought premierships, eels and their choking.. but the bears never had much hate, but boy did they hate manly, FMD!!! Mostly due to all the players that jumped ship to play on the northern beaches, thru out the years...
What i like about this bid, if all goes well, is the colors foremost red and black, its back baby.... hell they could even add a gold strip to acknowledge WA, and the 95 reds, could even have a semi reds heritage jersey, and pass it off as WA bears, the pirates had one didn't they PR?

MugaB

Coach
I'd be ok with a trial game and a heritage round game at NSO v Manly to start with, then move it to SFS if it actually draws a crowd, play it on a Sunday afternoon. Could become quite a boost to funds and attendances and allows the sale of a Sydney membership which includes this game and maybe 2 or 3 others against key clubs. eels, souths, manly maybe? (manly if they get their dump sorted out)

What I guess it also does is gives us an instant rivalry with Manly lol. Was there anyone else that was classed as "rivals" to the Bears?
Souths... Wests, but mainly Manly...
In the early 90s they had some semis vs balmain and penrith that were nail biting, but if we are talking derbies, ...that scum manly

MugaB

Coach

No NSO home games, none... only trials...
If they want take a home game away from perth, play SFS or CC only... NSO NO!!!

Reactions: Vee

Perth Red

Post Whore
I feel there was never much of a stigma regarding the bears, when they were playing in NSWRL, where most other teams had some sort of baggage, manly was always hated, wests just beat everyone up, souths were unlucky, chooks bought premierships, eels and their choking.. but the bears never had much hate, but boy did they hate manly, FMD!!! Mostly due to all the players that jumped ship to play on the northern beaches, thru out the years...
What i like about this bid, if all goes well, is the colors foremost red and black, its back baby.... hell they could even add a gold strip to acknowledge WA, and the 95 reds, could even have a semi reds heritage jersey, and pass it off as WA bears, the pirates had one didn't they PR?
Yeh Id hope we acknowledged some of WA's heritage not just Bears lol. Red Black and bit of gold would be awesome colours though! The bears logo needs an update but the colours are very strong.

Kind of in that our SG Ball Pirates played in a reds heritage jersey in 2019.

mg.jpg

you missed the point, they know how sydney centric Vlandys is, so yes bringing back a dead Sydney club does make sense to strengthen a bid, not because it is necessarily the best option, but because it floats Vlandys boat.
It's depressing, hey?

Every decision the NRL makes is based around what appeals to News Ltd and narrow-minded fans from Sydney. It's why RL expansion has not been as successful as it should have been.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's depressing, hey?

Every decision the NRL makes is based around what appeals to News Ltd and narrow-minded fans from Sydney. It's why RL expansion has not been as successful as it should have been.
This one, if it happens, has the potential to be quite good, or an absolute train crash of conflicted interests lol.

Wb1234

Referee
30k members at between 100 to 300 a ticket adds up a lot

MugaB

Coach
Yeh Id hope we acknowledged some of WA's heritage not just Bears lol. Red Black and bit of gold would be awesome colours though! The bears logo needs an update but the colours are very strong.

Kind of in that our SG Ball Pirates played in a reds heritage jersey in 2019.

View attachment 61630
Thats the one, i reckon they could do the red alternate with the bears logo...
...now thats the dream right there

Perth Red

Post Whore
Western Bears
WA Bears
Perth Bears
West Coast Bears

wonder what will be favoured if it happens? My preference would be West Coast or WA. Dont like Western and the RL community here is much bigger than just Perth so would hope we'd encompass the state. Other main teams here are:

West Coast Eagles
West Coast Fever
Western Force
Perth Wildcats
Perth Glory

Perth Red

Post Whore
30k members at between 100 to 300 a ticket adds up a lot
With the Govt on board as well it should hopefully mean cheap rental of HBF park so those memberships become a lot of profit margin. I don't think Bears LC is doing that great so not sure what they could afford to chip in but hopefully it would be something. With corporates on North shore combined with corporates in Perth and potential millionaire owners this could become a very wealthy club indeed. Not that it always translates to success as Broncos have found out in recent years.

Latest posts