What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Colk

First Grade
Yeh I get that but he’s the afl equivalent of Phil Gould

he’s

its not a beat up

vlandys won’t want to alienate the wa govt just to sell a few more tickets with origin

he already ticked them off once before with the rusted on afl states comments which he seems i be backing away from it

I also suspect they have gone cold on nz2 due to the warriors

he’s literally told them exactly what he wants to give them a license

with a rugby league fan as premier they would be mad not to take advtanage of that for a Perth team

I still think it is split between NZ 2 and Perth and who knows it may change.

I actually think that there is a split between 9 and News about where the 18th team should come from. I note that the press for NZ 2 from Nine and their associated media (SMH etc) has been very positive and quite dismissive of Perth whereas News have expressed concerns about NZ 2 and seem more positive about Perth.

For instance, there has been nothing from Nine/Fairfax about this Bears thing and contrast that with their reporting on the potential NZ side last week. This is totally flipped with regards to News Limited

The Great Dane

First Grade
I am aware of the history of these ‘relocations’.
Why totally misrepresent that history if that is the case...
Bears to Perth would fall somewhere in between the Lions and a Swans situation.
No it wouldn't.

At best it'd be end up a disjointed merger of the Wests Tigers kind, at worst a disjointed merger of the Northern Eagles kind... Either way it's not a good outcome.
And you don’t know what the Bears will offer.
They'll offer exactly what they offered the GC, Brisbane bids, and even arguably the CC, though the CC was admittedly a different scenario.

As a result it's easy to predict what they'll offer Perth, and odds are that that offer will/should end the exact way that those prior offers did because the Bears will demand representation on the board, games played in Sydney annually, and a say in the day to day operations of the club.
They are more desperate for a team than Perth is . I am not sure that they would hold the whip hand.
That's the problem with the Bears though; they aren't desperate for 'a' team they are desperate for "their" team.

If it's going to be "their" team then it's going to have to fit some parameters, and those parameters are not going to be favourable to any potential partners.
If they were offered that chance to be represented as the Perth Bears in a Norths jersey and a couple of seats on the board, I reckon they would take it regardless of whether all home games are in Perth.
As a Bears fan and member I can say with confidence that you are almost certainly wrong about this statement, and that even if the club did try to push for such a deal that the vast majority of members and the fanbase would reject it out of hand, which would defeat the purpose of merging with the Bears anyway.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe
Why totally misrepresent that history if that is the case...

No it wouldn't.

At best it'd be end up a disjointed merger of the Wests Tigers kind, at worst a disjointed merger of the Northern Eagles kind... Either way it's not a good outcome.

They'll offer exactly what they offered the GC, Brisbane bids, and even arguably the CC, though the CC was admittedly a different scenario.

As a result it's easy to predict what they'll offer Perth, and odds are that that offer will/should end the exact way that those prior offers did because the Bears will demand representation on the board, games played in Sydney annually, and a say in the day to day operations of the club.

That's the problem with the Bears though; they aren't desperate for 'a' team they are desperate for "their" team.

If it's going to be "their" team then it's going to have to fit some parameters, and those parameters are not going to be favourable to any potential partners.

As a Bears fan and member I can say with confidence that you are almost certainly wrong about this statement, and that even if the club did try to push for such a deal that the vast majority of members and the fanbase would reject it out of hand, which would defeat the purpose of merging with the Bears anyway.
Maybe the reality has finally dawned on them that it’s now or never? End of day they may get an opportunity to decide what’s most important to them. Get the bears brand back in nrl and have a direct pathway to an nrl club they share dna with, or have a game or two in Sydney and a signifcant say in the runNing of a club. It may be they can’t have both and will have to choose which matters most to them.

or then again it might not get past a first converstion, a mega rich consortium from perth linked tot he nrlwa may appear and all this discussion was for nought lol.

the main positive out of the story for me is that the WA govt seems to be being proactive in being serious about supporting a bid.

The Great Dane

First Grade
1. News Ltd might be more keen on a Perth side than most people think. Most people have assumed that is not the case, however, the way they have reported about this scenario is a lot more positive than anything reported on a second New Zealand side.
News is more interested because the Bears are involved and the story will sell papers/push clicks, not because they are particularly for or against a side in Perth.

Reactions: Vee

Wb1234

Referee

I actually think that there is a split between 9 and News about where the 18th team should come from. I note that the press for NZ 2 from Nine and their associated media (SMH etc) has been very positive and quite dismissive of Perth whereas News have expressed concerns about NZ 2 and seem more positive about Perth.

For instance, there has been nothing from Nine/Fairfax about this Bears thing and contrast that with their reporting on the potential NZ side last week. This is totally flipped with regards to News Limited
Arlc said they wanted a second nz2 team and there has been radio silence from New Zealand.

the wa govt saw the arlc said they are going to expand how can we make this ours. Vlandys told them exactly what he wants

the fact vlandys has gone from saying Perth was no chance to him being in favour of it is a massive change

plus I feel like by bringing back the bears it’s another feather in his cap for his legacy as boss of the game, on top of adding dolphins and Perth

Maybe Foxtel are preparing for life without AwFuL?

Wb1234

Referee
News is more interested because the Bears are involved and the story will sell papers/push clicks, not because they are particularly for or against a side in Perth.
So if that’s true then it shows the bears are valuable in Sydney and worth reviving doesn’t it

this will be a smaller version of when south’s came back

Colk

First Grade

They are a lot more positive about Perth than a second New Zealand side - I can find articles to illustrate my point if you wish. I actually think their ultimate preference would be another Brisbane side.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Maybe the reality has finally dawned on them that it’s now or never? End of day they may get an opportunity to decide what’s most important to them. Get the bears brand back in nrl and have a direct pathway to an nrl club they share dna with, or have a game or two in Sydney and a signifcant say in the runNing of a club. It may be they can’t have both and will have to choose which matters most to them.

or then again it might not get past a first converstion, a mega rich consortium from perth linked tot he nrlwa may appear and all this discussion was for nought lol.

the main positive out of the story for me is that the WA govt seems to be being proactive in being serious about supporting a bid.
You completely misunderstand the influences and motivations of the Bears and the majority of their supporters.

They will never, ever, agree to a deal where they don't have ironclad agreements that grant them ownership and a significant say in the club. They made such agreements out of desperation once before with the Northern Eagles debacle, and they'll never make that mistake again.

Colk

First Grade
Maybe Foxtel are preparing for life without AwFuL?

Maybe. It could be as simple as scheduling (the option of four games on a Saturday etc). I think another Brisbane side would be very beneficial for them in order drive up even more QLD subscriptions.

I don’t think they would be keen on a second NZ side because there is not much in it for them - for example how well do the Warriors rate on PayTV?

Maybe

A week or two ago I said on here that the WA government and Pirates consortium should liaise with Sydney clubs. Looks like they've been listening to me. Either that or Phil Rothfield is trolling this forum for all the shit that's been said about him. 🤣

gallagher

Juniors
You completely misunderstand the influences and motivations of the Bears and the majority of their supporters.

They will never, ever, agree to a deal where they don't have ironclad agreements that grant them ownership and a significant say in the club. They made such agreements out of desperation once before with the Northern Eagles debacle, and they'll never make that mistake again.
Well that blows the deal out of the water

Perth Red

Post Whore
They are a lot more positive about Perth than a second New Zealand side - I can find articles to illustrate my point if you wish. I actually think their ultimate preference would be another Brisbane side.
Do you think they want a genuine competitor to the broncos monopoly?

The Great Dane

First Grade
So if that’s true then it shows the bears are valuable in Sydney and worth reviving doesn’t it

this will be a smaller version of when south’s came back
Nope, it shows that sensationalist journalism sells.

Positive how?

If you're just saying that they're talking up Perth as a market then they do that in all these articles, with the exception of the ones that they are genuinely trying to sabotage, like when they would talk down any Brisbane bid to protect the Broncos.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Then they are destined never to see the bears back in the nrl. Their choice.

Latest posts