What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Vee

First Grade
heck I think we nswmen need to build a wall too up in the tweed to be safe
We used to have tick gates at the border to keep southern vermin out but governments of all persuasions dropped the ball with budget cuts over the years. Sigh...

Vee

First Grade
That’s interesting

when I went to origin in Melbourne it was the blues copping the booing. I would’ve thought wa was the same
I've been to both and the Blues support was definitely the minority.

MugaB

Coach
I've been to both and the Blues support was definitely the minority.
That would be coz of the casual origin fans would be drawn to the qlders from their decade of dominance, cam smith, billy slater, JT, etc, wont take long before the casual interstate fan starts rooting for the blues

Vee

First Grade
That would be coz of the casual origin fans would be drawn to the qlders from their decade of dominance, cam smith, billy slater, JT, etc, wont take long before the casual interstate fan starts rooting for the blues
And the traditional resentment of Sydney-centric NSWankers.

Menaiduck

Juniors
about 1300

no way of knowing, and is there such as thing as an avg west australian? If you mean the majority I can only go on what evidence we have seen so far, which is people are not opposed to the idea

You cant say that as you dont how the avg West Australian is seeing it (if such a thing exists!)

I've lived in Perth 22 years and NEVER heard anyone seriously suggest succeeding would be a good idea, in fact I cant even think of anyone who has ever raised it in a conversation! Every community has its lunatics, you seem to keep finding ours lol
But he spoke to 3 people who assured him he was correct !

Colk

First Grade
I'm not being rude here but how many extra subscribers to Fox/Kayo do you think a Perth team will bring?
I would daresay that most, if not all, rugby league supporters in WA already have one or the other.

Thats why I dont think this bid should focus on that part. Focus on a true expansion of the game in terms of growing the game, especially as an alternative to that other shyte they mostly only know about.

Edit: and i'd say a fair few already have the paid subscriptions because of that other game.

You’re perhaps right about subscriptions in WA but one thing I’ll add is the scheduling.

If a Perth bid gets up, they’re likely to play either on Saturdays or Sunday. Super Saturdays are the biggest draw for Fox, so if they could add even another game on that day, then that is potentially advantageous for them. Even the other option at Sunday on 6pm, solves a problem for them.

In any case, adding both over a certain timeframe (which gives incredible flexibility to broadcasters and access to two new markets) would be brilliant. A

You’re perhaps right about subscriptions in WA but one thing I’ll add is the scheduling.

If a Perth bid gets up, they’re likely to play either on Saturdays or Sunday. Super Saturdays are the biggest draw for Fox, so if they could add even another game on that day, then that is potentially advantageous for them. Even the other option at Sunday on 6pm, solves a problem for them.

In any case, adding both over a certain timeframe (which gives incredible flexibility to broadcasters and access to two new markets) would be brilliant. A
Yep, more about ratings and advertising than new subscriptions.
Either 9.30pm Saturday or 6pm Sunday are good extra slots to have.

Wb1234

Referee
Yep, more about ratings and advertising than new subscriptions.
Either 9.30pm Saturday or 6pm Sunday are good extra slots to have.
I think fox may seem a decent bump in subscriptions maybe 50k to 100k as more viewers in Perth and north shore sign up

plus as you say there’s the new live timeslot and extra game

MugaB

Coach
In any case, adding both over a certain timeframe (which gives incredible flexibility to broadcasters and access to two new markets) would be brilliant. => A
I saw what you did there.... and my answer is still B

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Scrolling through the Bears groups and reading other Bears fans opinions on this idea is just sad.

Most of the people supporting the idea are totally delusional about what a WA Bears side would actually look like. More than a few are only onboard because they believe that the team would fail in WA then the license would revert to the Bears…

Whoever pulled the ‘up to 6 games at NSO’ line out of their arse is an absolute merkin.

MugaB

Coach
Scrolling through the Bears groups and reading other Bears fans opinions on this idea is just sad.

Most of the people supporting the idea are totally delusional about what a WA Bears side would actually look like. More than a few are only onboard because they believe that the team would fail in WA then the license would revert to the Bears…

Whoever pulled the ‘up to 6 games at NSO’ line out of their arse is an absolute merkin.
I think that was DT, who have heavily pushed Norths for inclusion for a long time, its is sad, but i hope the bears moniker works in WA, there's no hope to have them in sydney more than once a year,.... seriously