What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Gronk

Staff member
All the lockdowns slowed everything up. And gave shipping companies a good chance to exploit desperation for goods.
Shipping basically trippled. Minimum I have found have doubled. Materials went up 20-50% in a short time. I know cable prices went up about 75%. Almost double.
Lockdown also meant no people coming in. Wages went up as people who had work become desperate to complete jobs.

It is now at a stage where renovations and cost to build a house is 40% more in the space of 12mths. I reckon a lot ofmpeople buying old run down places have little idea what the costs are involved to repair.
Substitute the word “lockdowns” for the word “pandemic” and you’ve nailed it. It’s too simplistic to attribute lockdowns as the reason why we are not getting cable from China at the same price as we used to.

Wages went up because supply v demand. You can blame demand, but who sets the price for trades supply ? Your brethren. Who sets the price of cable at the AU warehouse when demand outstrips supply ? In an inflationary market there are always winners and losers. It’s just that the losers outnumber the winners, until the market shinks to the point where demand outstrips supply.

Gronk

Staff member
If that happens I predict ALP will win the next election as well. LNP need a sensible moderate to take over as opposition leader. Do they have one of those?
Josh F was that guy. Moderates are thin on the ground and they just suggested Susan Ley on the Insiders. 🤓

1653174995862.png

If they are smart, they fast track NSW guy Andrew Constance, but I think he has work to do to win his seat.

1653175093462.png

An alternative to Dutton being mentioned is Andrew Hastie, but IMHO he’s a staunch conservative aka Tony Abbott lite.

1653175305114.png

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Ping @Suitman builders are stretched because they can’t honour contracts because their profits are being eroded by the inflationary cost of materials.

Many mums and dads are being forced to renegotiate contracts on their new builds because they are being told they can’t do it for that price anymore.

The W hotel (IMAX) is on hold because the builder can complete the job.

I suspect there will be quiet a lot of this

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I just watched about 10 mins of Sky, just for the hell of it and the Outsiders was on.

f**k me dead, you would not know there was anyone else in the election other than ScoMo, apparently Albo didn't win the election, ScoMo lost it by agreeing to net Zero by 2050.

There was no mention of Albo at all, not that I expected any different, talk about bedwetters

strider

Post Whore
If that happens I predict ALP will win the next election as well. LNP need a sensible moderate to take over as opposition leader. Do they have one of those?
he is the short term baddie before you fly in a saviour that people think is better so has a better chance .... hit em with the bad cop first

Gronk

Staff member
he is the short term baddie before you fly in a saviour that people think is better so has a better chance .... hit em with the bad cop first
They do so at their own peril, because he will drive the LNP further to the right.

This election shows that both the Libs and Labor primary vote is down with women and greens gaining. If that’s not a message that the punters want sensible governance with a realistic social conscious, I don’t know what is. They are sick of the wallpaper policy where the leader says he is doing something but actions suggest otherwise.

Even in his concession speach last night Frydenberg waxed lyrical about our 4% unemployment but omitted the fact that those numbers are based on one hours work now = employed plus “we are great economic managers” whereas he has tripled debt under his and the former treasurer’s watch. So even as Jack sunk into the depths below the titanic, he was still spinning shit and avoiding reality.

KBYaW3.gif

TheParraboy

Staff member
I just watched about 10 mins of Sky, just for the hell of it and the Outsiders was on.

f**k me dead, you would not know there was anyone else in the election other than ScoMo, apparently Albo didn't win the election, ScoMo lost it by agreeing to net Zero by 2050.

There was no mention of Albo at all, not that I expected any different, talk about bedwetters

Nothing new for yonks, most big end media are pro-libs

strider

Post Whore
interesting, if true

I think this is a bit of a fib.

They voted independent cos they thought that was the best option.

If they thought Labor was still cool, they would have given them a 1 and preferenced the independent... In a preference based system, as we have, you can give your 1 to who you actually want and then have a fallback.

These are still people who lost faith in labor ... Labor are just sugar coating it .... And its the same with Libs who lost faith in Libs.