What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Adam O'Brien

Volcom6685

Juniors
You really want to go down that path of comparison?
Just pointing out what Key injuries do to a team . Now add in the amount of injuries we’ve had all season . The chopping and changing of the team because of this and you will see why we have no cohesion in defence or attack . But hey it’s easier to blame the coach

Volcom6685

Juniors
You really want to go down that path of comparison?
Just pointing out what Key injuries do to a team . Now add in the amount of injuries we’ve had all season . The chopping and changing of the team because of this and you will see why we have no cohesion in defence or attack . But hey it’s easier to blame the coach

Jono078

Referee
They lost Papenhuyzen and Hughes. We lost Fitzgibbon and Barnett (the main blokes missing from our losing streak).

Regardless, Brailey is our big one. Let's see how we play when he is back and fit. But beyond that AOB still needs to have better depth here. Our 30 is probably the worst. 1-13 we are probably around that 8th spot.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Mate the issue is, as has been rightfully pointed out, is O’Brien seems unable to develop players beyond their baseline. So yeah we do blame him for that. His job is to show players that what they did one week may not necessarily work the next. And how that is changed. What we get is the same level of High work rate low risk football which Penrith and Cowboys eat alive. These sides are so good they just wait for the ambush window and cut your balls off.
That frustration you see in the box from Obi is open acknowledgement that the limited game plan we had was blown out of the water and there is no way back. I’d actually like to see him come down to the sideline and see if his judgement is different with a new perspective.

Last edited:

Sir Galahad

Juniors
you dont get it at all - It is NOT the loss it is HOW we lost. No guts No effort, No will to win. Pathetic bunch of players with NO pride.

Loose Cannon

Bench
Anyone else find it amusing that O’Brien hasn’t called Gardner on his “10-year“ statement?

Seems like a bluff that you would call under the circumstances.

Yosh

Coach
Cooper Cronk on the Matty Johns Podcast said that the signs of a great coach is to take a fringe player and develop them into a really solid genuine starter player. Brian Smith definitely had the ability to do it.

Has AOB taken any average player and developed them into a genuine NRL starter?

Jono078

Referee
Cooper Cronk on the Matty Johns Podcast said that the signs of a great coach is to take a fringe player and develop them into a really solid genuine starter player. Brian Smith definitely had the ability to do it.

Has AOB taken any average player and developed them into a genuine NRL starter?
Who's on his resume so far? Maybe Tuala.. But you could put that down to natural progression. How would Tuala look at the Storm?

You just have to look at Josh King this year vs last.. Averaging 30+ tackles and 110m+ per game. His Knights career average is almost half that.

Burwood

Bench
I’m all fairness to O’Brien, he has taken a dozen or so fringe players and developed them into genuine first grade players.

They wouldn’t be first graders at any other club in the NRL, but at Newcastle they play first grade each and every week!

Jono078

Referee
I do agree AOB actually did get King to get to another level whilst here.

But once again you just look at how he's doing at Melbourne. He appears to have been given a simple task and clear outline of expectations from his game and he appears to be hitting those standards.

Here he was a benchie possibly getting 15 minutes of game time and probably being told not to f**k things up out there - at least that's how it feels, even with our current bench situation. These young guys get such limited time like there is no confidence in them. How are they meant to grow?

Anyway feel I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill now. Is AOB getting the best out of the players? No I don't think so. I think we view most of our players as playing no where near their potential, not only as individuals but as a team.

Knight Tales

Juniors
I am really keen to see the effect Milford’s presence has on Clifford’s game. There was some evidence last week that Milf is learning to play right which is not his natural corridor. However with Cliff being comfortable playing right I hope we see Milford and Ponga work the left side.

Burwood

Bench
I can’t see why the young blokes aren’t able to play 2 games a week when the circumstances are right. If you have someone like Johns, Momo, Simi or Saulo sitting on the bench for 60+ minutes in first grade, surely they can then go and play reserves the following day?

Old dog

Juniors
I can’t see why the young blokes aren’t able to play 2 games a week when the circumstances are right. If you have someone like Johns, Momo, Simi or Saulo sitting on the bench for 60+ minutes in first grade, surely they can then go and play reserves the following day?
I hate that games are played apart, like this week 1sts play Sat the Cup and Flegg play Sun. Agreed that any player listed 18-22 in firsts should play Cup, for fitness and to play well enough to be promoted. We have had some players not play for 3-4 weeks due to circumstances like interstate games where they are basically injury cover but cannot make it to Cup game the following day.
Frustrating madness.