What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Valheru

Coach
Hard to justify $500mill for 3k extra attendance
Short sighted.

It wouldn't just be for the Raiders, it would be for the Brumbies too and potentially an A-league team. As others have said, it could also host the lower tier internationals for all those sports as well as concerts etc.

Put it in Civic and it would be a huge boon for the hospitality industry in the CBD much like what Adelaide Oval has done for that city. With a bit of foresight they might even be able to build an arena venue in the precinct that could host an NBL team.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I love that area of Milsons Point/North Sydney but there’s no way I’d part with $12 Million (If I had it of course 😂) to live near Luna Park and it’s noise lol..

Back in 1983 i rented a one bedroom unit at Lavender Bay for $80 a week. i then moved around the corner to Kirribilli to a two bedroom unit for $75 a week, my bedroom had a great view of the Harbour Bridge and i lived there for 3 years, loved just wandering down to the nearby wharf and throwing a fishing line in. Could very easily live in the area again if i could afford it but i'm happy living mortgage free in the inner west.

I love that area of Milsons Point/North Sydney but there’s no way I’d part with $12 Million (If I had it of course 😂) to live near Luna Park and it’s noise lol..
I once went for a job interview at a 4th floor office that sat behind the roller coaster at Luna Park. We had to stop talking every time the screaming passengers flew by. Really bazaar but kinda cool at the same time.

The Great Dane

First Grade
But the election of Albanese with Gallagher ( big Raiders fan ) as the finance minister makes it a much better chance of happening.
Maybe, but I doubt it. There's simply no political incentive for Labour to help fund a new stadium in the ACT.

Maybe they'd be more inclined to do something like sell Bruce to the ACT government at a nominal fee to help fund construction of a new stadium, but even then I'd have to see it before I believed it.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Put it in Civic and it would be a huge boon for the hospitality industry in the CBD much like what Adelaide Oval has done for that city. With a bit of foresight they might even be able to build an arena venue in the precinct that could host an NBL team.
There isn't enough room to build a stadium big enough to fit the city's needs in Civic anymore.

In other words the stadium will have to be built somewhere else unless we're content with a roughly 20k stadium, which simply isn't big enough for Canberra's needs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe, but I doubt it. There's simply no political incentive for Labour to help fund a new stadium in the ACT.

Maybe they'd be more inclined to do something like sell Bruce to the ACT government at a nominal fee to help fund construction of a new stadium, but even then I'd have to see it before I believed it.
Is there no parkland or ovals? wa govt took over a golf course and riverside park area to build optus.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Is there no parkland or ovals? wa govt took over a golf course and riverside park area to build optus.
None big enough to fit a stadium or that aren't owned by other entities.

You could fit a stadium in Commonwealth park or at the ANU's North Oval in the Turner parklands, however there's no way that the feds will allow the ACT to build a stadium in Commonwealth park and getting ANU to give up their lease in the Turner Parklands would be very costly both financially and politically. Both options would cause all sorts of negative knock-on effects and invite the wrath of very powerful nimbys on top of that.

You could avoid all of that simply by building the stadium in one of the other town centres around the city, all of which have, more or less, the amenities that Civic has and are just as well connect by public transport.
It'd be akin to building a stadium in e.g. Parramatta instead of in Sydney's CBD. Ideally you'd want it built right next to the Opera House if you could, but that isn't realistic and Parra would still be more than adequate.

Valheru

Coach
There isn't enough room to build a stadium big enough to fit the city's needs in Civic anymore.

In other words the stadium will have to be built somewhere else unless we're content with a roughly 20k stadium, which simply isn't big enough for Canberra's needs.
There is enough room if they get rid of some existing buildings...

Timbo

Staff member
The biggest problem Canberra has is that the stadium remains 'fine'.

All-seater, 25,000. Plenty of parking. Public transport is suboptimal but not impossible to navigate. Not enough covered seats but that's hardly a dealbreaker in this league.

There is nothing about Bruce that screams 'we need this replaced as a matter of urgency' like Brookie's asbestos hill or Dairy Farmers scaffolding stands starting to corrode.

Because the fact is whilst I would love a modern, covered stadium in Civic where you'd be less cold and can just wander to a bar afterwards, Bruce Stadium remains fit for purpose as an NRL stadium.

A bit of concrete cancer wouldn't go astray.

Seriously, this "ground" is an absolute embarrassment to the NRL.

The Cronulla Sharks are an embarrassment to the NRL and a cancer to our sport. From their dilapidated ground to their low supporter base in a tiny landlocked catchment and incessant off field scandals, they're nothing but a liability. The fact our game's corrupt and braindead administrators have allowed this unviable club to hold an NRL licence -- while Brisbane and NZ have been underserved with no representation in Adelaide and Perth -- makes the NRL the laughing stock of world sport.

There's no justifiable reason to keep this backwards club in the competition. Our broadcast rights deal would increase if we got rid of Cronulla and brought in Brisbane 3 or NZ 2 or Perth.

Lake palmer

Juniors
The Cronulla Sharks are an embarrassment to the NRL and a cancer to our sport. From their dilapidated ground to their low supporter base in a tiny landlocked catchment and incessant off field scandals, they're nothing but a liability. The fact our game's corrupt and braindead administrators have allowed this unviable club to hold an NRL licence -- while Brisbane and NZ have been underserved with no representation in Adelaide and Perth -- makes the NRL the laughing stock of world sport.

There's no justifiable reason to keep this backwards club in the competition. Our broadcast rights deal would increase if we got rid of Cronulla and brought in Brisbane 3 or NZ 2 or Perth.
Aren’t the sharks a very wealthy and asset rich club what with all the developments going on around the stadium?

If so this would make them(sharks) even more harder to boot out of the competition you would have thought.

same goes for the manly sea Eagles who are redeveloping brookvale oval and it’s surrounding area.

Wb1234

Referee
The biggest problem Canberra has is that the stadium remains 'fine'.

All-seater, 25,000. Plenty of parking. Public transport is suboptimal but not impossible to navigate. Not enough covered seats but that's hardly a dealbreaker in this league.

There is nothing about Bruce that screams 'we need this replaced as a matter of urgency' like Brookie's asbestos hill or Dairy Farmers scaffolding stands starting to corrode.

Because the fact is whilst I would love a modern, covered stadium in Civic where you'd be less cold and can just wander to a bar afterwards, Bruce Stadium remains fit for purpose as an NRL stadium.

A bit of concrete cancer wouldn't go astray.
Sfs was in better shape and got a full rebuild

the ground offers poor protection from the elements. The stands are too far from the field and it’s too far from the centre of town

if the premier wasn’t a fumbler they would already have a new ground

the act govt cares more about a sport that cares nothing for their town rather than the team that put them on the sporting map

ground zero

Juniors

You my friend need a standing ovation. Nothing wrong with speaking the truth

Sfs was in better shape and got a full rebuild

the ground offers poor protection from the elements. The stands are too far from the field and it’s too far from the centre of town

if the premier wasn’t a fumbler they would already have a new ground

the act govt cares more about a sport that cares nothing for their town rather than the team that put them on the sporting map
The Meninga stand is 45 years old FFS , It would be the oldest stand of any major sports ground in Australia
And yea , its technically an oval , not rectangle.

Timbo

Staff member
The Meninga stand is 45 years old FFS , It would be the oldest stand of any major sports ground in Australia
And yea , its technically an oval , not rectangle.
It was fully rebuilt 23 years ago. Settle down. Not super recent but hardly ancient.

It’s fine. I want it replaced as much as anyone. But there’s nothing wrong with it.

It was fully rebuilt 23 years ago. Settle down. Not super recent but hardly ancient.

It’s fine. I want it replaced as much as anyone. But there’s nothing wrong with it.
The rest of the venue was redone , the ground was lowered but only the seats were upgraded in the Meninga stand & some carpet laid , hardly a rebuild.
Fact is that structure is as it was in 1977 ,
oldest stand & a big one, over 10K seats in it , in Australian elite sport .. its hardly fine.

Wb1234

Referee
The rest of the venue was redone , the ground was lowered but only the seats were upgraded in the Meninga stand & some carpet laid , hardly a rebuild.
Fact is that structure is as it was in 1977 ,
oldest stand & a big one, over 10K seats in it , in Australian elite sport .. its hardly fine.
The other stand is bad too the way the second tier is so far back from the field

Latest posts