What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Quidgybo

Bench
Maybe, but I doubt it. There's simply no political incentive for Labour to help fund a new stadium in the ACT.

Maybe they'd be more inclined to do something like sell Bruce to the ACT government at a nominal fee to help fund construction of a new stadium, but even then I'd have to see it before I believed it.
I wonder if losing their ACT Senate seat to the Greens will lead to more engagement from Liberals in future campaigns? Doesn’t help anyone now but maybe it provides some room for the game to lobby a federal opposition trying to buy their way back into government in three or six years time.

Leigh.

Aren’t the sharks a very wealthy and asset rich club what with all the developments going on around the stadium?

If so this would make them(sharks) even more harder to boot out of the competition you would have thought.

same goes for the manly sea Eagles who are redeveloping brookvale oval and it’s surrounding area.
They have just enough to survive under the current funding model, but they'll always be lightweights struggling to compete with the other eight Sydney clubs. Their ground at Endeavour cannot be upgraded to any real extent and the club is boxed into the Sutherland Shire, surrounded by The Dragons to the north and south. There's just not enough people in Sutherland to generate the attendances and sponsorship required to sustain a large club.

Kogarah and Wollongong Showgrounds have enough land to be upgraded into major stadiums.

You my friend need a standing ovation. Nothing wrong with speaking the truth

Thank you sir!

Last edited:

Lake palmer

Juniors
They have just enough to survive under the current funding model, but they'll always be lightweights struggling to compete with the other eight Sydney clubs. Their ground at Endeavour cannot be upgraded to any real extent and the club is boxed into the Sutherland Shire, surrounded by The Dragons to the north and south. There's just not enough people in Sutherland to generate the attendances and sponsorship required to sustain a large club.

Kogarah and Wollongong Showgrounds have enough land to be upgraded into major stadiums.
I agree.

This model would have looked alright and probably been successful in the 80’s but today not so much.

btw f#ck Kogarah unless for 1 heritage home game a season or other Sydney teams taking their “home” games against the dragons there.

The dragons need to be based in Wollongong fulltime.

MugaB

Coach
Aren’t the sharks a very wealthy and asset rich club what with all the developments going on around the stadium?

If so this would make them(sharks) even more harder to boot out of the competition you would have thought.

same goes for the manly sea Eagles who are redeveloping brookvale oval and it’s surrounding area.
Get rid of the dophins, is a gibberer, and wants the NRL to look like A-league, a dot in every city... dumb merkin has no clue of who represents who... and why is booting anyone is a good idea... Seriously logan ballsack needs to chill regarding sydney and its teams, i know origins round the corner, but this is all year round with this guy

Lake palmer

Juniors
Get rid of the dophins, is a gibberer, and wants the NRL to look like A-league, a dot in every city... dumb merkin has no clue of who represents who... and why is booting anyone is a good idea... Seriously logan ballsack needs to chill regarding sydney and its teams, i know origins round the corner, but this is all year round with this guy
Sydney is far too crowded and the market is saturated at the expense of a Perth or NZ2.

South East Queensland is also under-represented especially for a fast growing population region and RL mad to boot.

All that being said I wouldn’t want to boot any team out of the NRL or force them to relocate but instead I would introduce a law of the jungle doctorine in that all financially falling Sydney clubs will not be bailed out anymore.

MugaB

Coach
Sydney is far too crowded and the market is saturated at the expense of a Perth or NZ2.

South East Queensland is also under-represented especially for a fast growing population region and RL mad to boot.

All that being said I wouldn’t want to boot any team out of the NRL or force them to relocate but instead I would introduce a law of the jungle doctorine in that all financially falling Sydney clubs will not be bailed out anymore.
Saturation is a myth, do we have too many teams in sydney... yes, but that doesn't mean we boot them all out, strategically moving them outwards, would be the better plan, as these are all established core brands of the NRL, and losing one brand any one of them is akin to losing a limb, just like how the loss of the reds basically shut off W.A for 25+ years... or same in Bears territory, but them coming back via perth, is a win for both areas if it becomes possible..

Personally i would have Manly play 6/6 @ CC/brookie, Tigers to Campbelltown9/3 LO move Dragons to WIN9/3 SFS,
Roosters to Adelaide... rabbits full time at SFS.. and if there's expansion 18th= Bears in Perth/2 SFS, 19th = PNG inCairns6/6PNG,
20th NZ2 Christchurch8/4wellington

Lake palmer

Juniors
Saturation is a myth, do we have too many teams in sydney... yes, but that doesn't mean we boot them all out, strategically moving them outwards, would be the better plan, as these are all established core brands of the NRL, and losing one brand any one of them is akin to losing a limb, just like how the loss of the reds basically shut off W.A for 25+ years... or same in Bears territory, but them coming back via perth, is a win for both areas if it becomes possible..

Personally i would have Manly play 6/6 @ CC/brookie, Tigers to Campbelltown9/3 LO move Dragons to WIN9/3 SFS,
Roosters to Adelaide... rabbits full time at SFS.. and if there's expansion 18th= Bears in Perth/2 SFS, 19th = PNG inCairns6/6PNG,
20th NZ2 Christchurch8/4wellington
The problem with half&half teams is that they are setup in trying to please everyone only to end up pleasing nobody.

The Great Dane

First Grade
if the premier wasn’t a fumbler they would already have a new ground
Though Barr’s obvious preference for AFL hasn’t helped, that statement is almost certainly untrue.

If the ACT hadn’t been forced to pay for Mister Fluffy and needed to constantly appease the Greens then the stadium probably would have been built years ago. The apathy of the NRL in particular definitely hasn’t helped either.

BTW, saying the Raiders put Canberra on the sporting map is revisionist history at best. The Raiders were fundamental in the creation of the Canberran identity however.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
I wonder if losing their ACT Senate seat to the Greens will lead to more engagement from Liberals in future campaigns? Doesn’t help anyone now but maybe it provides some room for the game to lobby a federal opposition trying to buy their way back into government in three or six years time.

Leigh.
Pocock isn’t a Green and still hasn’t won the seat, though he almost certainly is going to win it.

I highly doubt that Pocock’s election will have a large impact on the stadium aside from the fact that he is an ex-Wallaby and a strong advocate for a new stadium.

If the Libs want to win the seat back it’ll happen on the back of the community trusting them to support the territory’s rights again, not with a stadium. But I’ll spare you the boring local politics.

I agree.

This model would have looked alright and probably been successful in the 80’s but today not so much.

btw f#ck Kogarah unless for 1 heritage home game a season or other Sydney teams taking their “home” games against the dragons there.

The dragons need to be based in Wollongong fulltime.
A grandstand needs to be built along the eastern terrace at Wollongong showgrounds. From there the Dragons can play nine games at Wollongong at three at the SFS against Sydney Roosters, South Sydney Rabbitohs and Cronulla Sharks.

I've got @MugaB on ignore. I respect his passion for the NSWRL clubs, but his incessant abuse towards anyone who doesn't think just like him is tiresome. He wants a continuation of the NSWRL, which is infeasible and preventing the game from reaching its potential.

I worry about Canterbury Bulldogs. They're landlocked and surrounded by the Wests Tigers. Their fall from grace began shortly after the merger between the Magpies and Tigers. I cannot help but wonder if their future is in Christchurch. It would allow us to introduce NZ 2 and Perth without going over 18 teams. Western Sydney Tigers could be huge if they had the entire southwest to themselves.

The problem with half&half teams is that they are setup in trying to please everyone only to end up pleasing nobody.
The Bears proposal will be a failure.

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
Well... in the event that a Sydney club goes broke, they COULD have the "conditional bailout" of their NRL license being relocated, I guess.. but yeah, no "no strings attached" bailouts.

However I doubt that's gonna happen anytime soon, given the size of NRL grants.

Vee

First Grade
Dunno what others see but I've got an ad for Warriors v Sharks at Redcliffe on June 12 just below the last comment. It features Shaun Johnson front and centre flanked by Tohu Harris and some numpty. After Johnson's game today, the essence of humour is timing.

MugaB

Coach
I've got @MugaB on ignore. I respect his passion for the NSWRL clubs, but his incessant abuse towards anyone who doesn't think just like him is tiresome. He wants a continuation of the NSWRL, which is infeasible and preventing the game from reaching its potential.
Potentially we can have all brands that exist now, plus add important areas like perth, NZ2, etc im not nostalgic as you think, and im not "FOR" NSWRL clubs above all else, i think you're confusing me with pippen, im all about genuine expansion of the NRL, not decreasing clubs/brands and adding more... true expansion is about adding more clubs period, which ill expand the talent pool for those areas/fans/awareness.... this deadshit from logan thinks anyone that isn't on board with killing off sydney based clubs is all about "NSWRL power" and that we all want 9 clubs in sydney and fk all anywhere else or thinks that the licences that have are so valuable and expensive, that Perth and Adelaide missed out, coz Sydney have 9 of them...
Its a garbage statement, licences aren't valuable, there's no magic number, the ARLC can hand them out like lollies, we can have a 24 club comp if they wanted perth, PNG, Adelaide, Vic2 etc.... nothing need be detracted, conferences can sort out home and away... only rival codes would want anyone in nrl to cull teams.. that and haters from qld

Jamberoo

Juniors
A grandstand needs to be built along the eastern terrace at Wollongong showgrounds. From there the Dragons can play nine games at Wollongong at three at the SFS against Sydney Roosters, South Sydney Rabbitohs and Cronulla Sharks.

I worry about Canterbury Bulldogs. They're landlocked and surrounded by the Wests Tigers. Their fall from grace began shortly after the merger between the Magpies and Tigers. I cannot help but wonder if their future is in Christchurch. It would allow us to introduce NZ 2 and Perth without going over 18 teams. Western Sydney Tigers could be huge if they had the entire southwest to themselves.

The Bears proposal will be a failure.
How would West Tigers affect Bulldogs support? Are you suggesting that Dogs fans have changed clubs?

flippikat

Bench
Potentially we can have all brands that exist now, plus add important areas like perth, NZ2, etc im not nostalgic as you think, and im not "FOR" NSWRL clubs above all else, i think you're confusing me with pippen, im all about genuine expansion of the NRL, not decreasing clubs/brands and adding more... true expansion is about adding more clubs period, which ill expand the talent pool for those areas/fans/awareness.... this deadshit from logan thinks anyone that isn't on board with killing off sydney based clubs is all about "NSWRL power" and that we all want 9 clubs in sydney and fk all anywhere else or thinks that the licences that have are so valuable and expensive, that Perth and Adelaide missed out, coz Sydney have 9 of them...
Its a garbage statement, licences aren't valuable, there's no magic number, the ARLC can hand them out like lollies, we can have a 24 club comp if they wanted perth, PNG, Adelaide, Vic2 etc.... nothing need be detracted, conferences can sort out home and away... only rival codes would want anyone in nrl to cull teams.. that and haters from qld
While the idea of a 24 team NRL would cover off lucrative expansion markets AND preserve tribal, historic rivalries.. the big question is whether we have the depth (in coaching & sponsorship as well as players) to do that AND have a competitive competition.

Those of us here that propose further rationalizing Sydney argue that the players & coaching talent it frees-up will help expansion teams, and the less cluttered Sydney market will make it easier for the remaining Sydney clubs to secure decent sponsorship.

If we JUST expand (to 17.. then 18.. then maybe 20 or beyond), can we grow the pool fast enough to accommodate it without creating junk clubs?

Colk

First Grade
While the idea of a 24 team NRL would cover off lucrative expansion markets AND preserve tribal, historic rivalries.. the big question is whether we have the depth (in coaching & sponsorship as well as players) to do that AND have a competitive competition.

Those of us here that propose further rationalizing Sydney argue that the players & coaching talent it frees-up will help expansion teams, and the less cluttered Sydney market will make it easier for the remaining Sydney clubs to secure decent sponsorship.

If we JUST expand (to 17.. then 18.. then maybe 20 or beyond), can we grow the pool fast enough to accommodate it without creating junk clubs?

There just wouldn’t be enough talent for a 24 team competition. You could maybe argue for a 20 team competition over the next 15-20 years with the right investments in pathways and really ripping the heart out of Rugby Union in the Pacific