What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Dragon David

First Grade
Totally agree ...... Be patient that has run its course a long time ago ....... We have no attack or defense , a coach that has no vision of attack or set plays ...... He played all his experience players last night and how did that go ? I for one would rather see the young blokes all play and lose , and gain first grade experience than losing with a bunch of slow old players that would not get a start elsewhere ...... Be patient what a joke .......
You hit the nail on the head Illusion - "old players that would not get a start elsewhere" is right on the money. The saving of dollars to buy more players who are duds versus spending more on fewer better players hasn't worked out.

They, Coach and Haran and others, all thought that it would be the answer to all our problems by having cheaper guys to provide more depth in most positions but you cannot get good results from this if the recruitment of old codgers mixed with reserve grade material has been done. It is plain to see now - Burgess for one has been a total waste. Mickey Lane has listed those players that need to be cast out of our Dragons den which I agree with.

So now it isn't the case of sacking Hook, it is a case of who can really get us out of this conundrum that we have been plagued with for over a decade. The right choice has to be made this time. No maybe's but certainties.

BLM01

First Grade
Yeah but Mary did no apprenticeship away from the sheltered workshop!
His claim to fame was working briefly under Pricey then knifing him.
At least Dean Young moved away to learn outside & Brown has over 20 years experience in head coaching roles in Australia and UK!
The Peanut coached some local Illawarra league team between painting jobs.
Brownie only wants a junior pathways job or similar now
he has said his coaching / asst coaching days are over

BLM01

First Grade
Yeah but Mary did no apprenticeship away from the sheltered workshop!
His claim to fame was working briefly under Pricey then knifing him.
At least Dean Young moved away to learn outside & Brown has over 20 years experience in head coaching roles in Australia and UK!
The Peanut coached some local Illawarra league team between painting jobs.
Disagree, no one is kicking the door down to sign Dean Young as a HC. That is the sort of highly ranked and sought after coach we need to target if Hook continues to fail

Coffs dragon

Bench
Brownie only wants a junior pathways job or similar now
he has said his coaching / asst coaching days are over
That’s right & I am saying he would be wonderful in that position with our club next year. Somebody for a younger coach to seek advice and be a guiding mentor.
He said he would love to protect and guide some young coach from the media blow torch.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Disagree, no one is kicking the door down to sign Dean Young as a HC. That is the sort of highly ranked and sought after coach we need to target if Hook continues to fail
No not yet, but given time learning from Todd Payten & being thrusted into HC role for Tonga rep team, it will come.

At this stage, I would be happy for Jason Ryles, Ben Hornby, Dean Young or Josh Hannay to step up in as HC next year or 2024!
Brownie to replace Flanno and Millward

Dragon David

First Grade
No not yet, but given time learning from Todd Payten & being thrusted into HC role for Tonga rep team, it will come.

At this stage, I would be happy for Jason Ryles, Ben Hornby, Dean Young or Josh Hannay to step up in as HC next year or 2024!
Brownie to replace Flanno and Millward
All I can say is changes are drastically needed. It is up to the Board to see it done ensuring only the best be obtained.

S.T.G

Bench
We haven’t got the best roster but we haven’t got a bad one.
Griffin has to go.
This team has no heart , no pride .
We have turned into the Illawarra Steelers.
Time to return to Kogarah and start over again.
F$)king Embarrassing.
I don’t even watch the games anymore !

Smacka

Juniors
Is this the same Nathan Brown that couldn't win the unloseable Jersey Flegg grand final. The same Nathan Brown who preferred Ben Rogers at five-eighth to Jamie Soward in 2008. And didn't that end well. The same Nathan Brown who made us a laughingstock by slapping the face of a senior player. The same Nathan Brown who referred to Amos Roberts in 2000 as "the new dark chap".

FMS!

I think we can do without that sort of "genius"

PS - my question mark key is broken.
NOTB - I respect your views. In fairness , Brownie was thrust into Senior Coaching far too early - and made mistakes. He has since gained broad-based experience over 2 decades & clearly stated he wishes to "save" other young Coaches from the pitfalls ahead of them. He's a thoroughly decent , honourable Fella who has passion. A huge step up from the non-performing Millward & questionnable Flanagan I reckon.

BLM01

First Grade
NOTB - I respect your views. In fairness , Brownie was thrust into Senior Coaching far too early - and made mistakes. He has since gained broad-based experience over 2 decades & clearly stated he wishes to "save" other young Coaches from the pitfalls ahead of them. He's a thoroughly decent , honourable Fella who has passion. A huge step up from the non-performing Millward & questionnable Flanagan I reckon.
I would take Flanno as head coach.
Least he demands firepower from his players

Lawman

Juniors
Griffin has to go.
F$)king Embarrassing.
The Steelers had more heart,than this current mob - Sack the Board- They made this mess.

merahputih

Juniors
Is this the same Nathan Brown that couldn't win the unloseable Jersey Flegg grand final. The same Nathan Brown who preferred Ben Rogers at five-eighth to Jamie Soward in 2008. And didn't that end well. The same Nathan Brown who made us a laughingstock by slapping the face of a senior player. The same Nathan Brown who referred to Amos Roberts in 2000 as "the new dark chap".

FMS!

I think we can do without that sort of "genius"

PS - my question mark key is broken.
My K,,C,U and F keys are broken after last night.

possm

Coach
Brown could be echoing Graig Young's views on appointing Dean as our next head coach with assistant Brown.

My worst nightmare!

possm

Coach
You hit the nail on the head Illusion - "old players that would not get a start elsewhere" is right on the money. The saving of dollars to buy more players who are duds versus spending more on fewer better players hasn't worked out.

They, Coach and Haran and others, all thought that it would be the answer to all our problems by having cheaper guys to provide more depth in most positions but you cannot get good results from this if the recruitment of old codgers mixed with reserve grade material has been done. It is plain to see now - Burgess for one has been a total waste. Mickey Lane has listed those players that need to be cast out of our Dragons den which I agree with.

So now it isn't the case of sacking Hook, it is a case of who can really get us out of this conundrum that we have been plagued with for over a decade. The right choice has to be made this time. No maybe's but certainties.
Well, I say:
Flannagan or Madge as our head coach would be a vast improvement. And, Brown and Barrett as assistants would be a very good move.

thebigredv

First Grade
I honestly don't know which coaches would be a vast improvement on Griffin. No one can really be sure. We don't see the day-to-day. We can only comment on game day and by gee our boys look completely unprepared and his selections are unacceptable to say the least. I just wanted my club to make Griffin work for his extension and they failed us again like with Paul in 2019.

No point to jump on another discard.
No to McGuire - too old school a la current coach and he just couldn't work it at a similar environment at Tigers
No to Flanagan - seems to have very little substance, reckon 2016 was more a case of right place right time for him. Feels more interested in himself than anything else and I'm tired of that kind of coach.
The young untested blokes is not what we need so forget about Barrett.

I'd probably be looking at something a little left of field. If you can't nab a Bellamy or Robinson then look elsewhere, perhaps overseas? What about Billy Slater if he likes his taste of coaching in Origin. Something that would put us back on the map and really change the tone that has been super sour about the place for too long.

Dragon David

First Grade
I honestly don't know which coaches would be a vast improvement on Griffin. No one can really be sure. We don't see the day-to-day. We can only comment on game day and by gee our boys look completely unprepared and his selections are unacceptable to say the least. I just wanted my club to make Griffin work for his extension and they failed us again like with Paul in 2019.

No to McGuire - too old school a la current coach and he just couldn't work it at a similar environment at Tigers
No to Flanagan - seems to have very little substance, reckon 2016 was more a case of right place right time for him. Feels more interested in himself than anything else and I'm tired of that kind of coach.

I'd probably be looking at something a little left of field. If you can't nab a Bellamy or Robinson then look elsewhere, perhaps overseas? What about Billy Slater if he likes his taste of coaching in Origin. Something that would put us back on the map and really change the tone that has been super sour about the place for too long.
Right you are the bigredv.

This continuation of demeaning our coaches has got to stop and the only way that this can be achieved is by replacing Hook and his sidekicks with others who we will not want to sack. Who they are is the 64 million dollar question. Many of us have had a go at choosing. Unfortunately we have no vote. Those that run the joint need to do whatever is necessary to get someone who can lead us into a successful several years - not one or two but many years.

justadragon

Bench
Griffin has to go.
F$)king Embarrassing.
I have said in previous posts that we are now one club regardless of who you followed initially, and I will continue to support both the illawarra and the Kogarah entities as the Dragons, that is all I have left, If I give that up I wont support RL at all.

justadragon

Bench

If you are thinking of something right outside the square, How about the Walker Brothers ???

possm

Coach
If you are thinking of something right outside the square, How about the Walker Brothers ???
Walker brothers as reserve grad head coach and then if we deem this a success, give them a contract for first-grade head coach. Right now I'm so desperate for change in the right direction, that I am willing to support most anything; except for Dean Young (the entitled one) being handed the job by his father.

Latest posts