What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mid year tests in 2022

LeagueXIII

First Grade
You should have heard Gus in 100% Footy on Monday night on the issue of scheduling..

Mind you, you have to take into account his general hatred of International Rugby League.
And so after this year international league will be pushed out the way so origin is unhindered.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
The stand-alone weekend is far better than the half-round-half-strength bye weeks when 36 players sit out the NRL then the following weekend another 10-15 are normally rested post-origin.

These issues could be easily solved if a dual eligible players just announces their preference Origin or Pacific Island before the series selection starts.

Typically the NRL has supposedly binned the rep weekend next year so we’ll be back to 6 Origin affected NRL weeks and zero internationals until after the season. It would be great if NZRL had the power to say fair is fair and play a test Vs Tonga directly before Origin or the night after but unfortunately that will never ever happen.

Its ridiculous they'll make these type of decisions. You'll watch the media go nuts when this occurs saying how the TV ratings are down because the games arent even interesting with Origin players out. People wanted a Sunday Origin now they want to go back to what it was. What do they want??

I hope next weekend they'll be some cracking games to prove these people wrong.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why is Fittler going off about Internationals at same time of Origin and how it should be stopped, doesn't he know that NRL has pulled the pin after this year?

Perth Red

Post Whore
That is on the IRL

Let the ARLC do what they think is best for them.
How can the IRL arrange games when there will be no break in the NRL`? Are you suggesting they organise internationals without NRL players being available?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Should be origin games are on a Saturday then you can have womens and U19's as warm up games. Ridiculous that25% of comp games are negatively impacted for an event that generates 8% of TV revenue. WHo knows on a Saturday Sydney might even sell it out without having to give away tickets?

siv

First Grade
Why is Fittler going off about Internationals at same time of Origin and how it should be stopped, doesn't he know that NRL has pulled the pin after this year?
So he cant understand players want to play for their nations ahead of origin

But wants to change Origin into a all stars game instead

Bulldog2020

Juniors
Have they ever tried origin on a Monday night?

Could you have Origin three Monday's in a row.
The next weekend have the international weekend with the Kangaroos playing.

Spread one round of NRL games over the three weekends leading into origin to keep 9/Fox happy

taste2taste

Juniors
They should have an international weekend after SOO.
Kangaroos V Kiwis, Samoa V Tonga .. etc
Or It would be incredible to build a rivalry and have the Kiwis v kangaroos on Anzac day, the game would fill homebush...but we can't let a silly international game get in the way of the rooster v dragons :D

Matua

Bench
well they are lucky enough to have 2 parents from different countrys they can do what they want.. (i dont agree with the rules but thats the rules...)
but IDGAF who plays for who, my point was we are a laughing stock once again compared to Union, who actually play tests... f**ken let the kangaroos have a go more than once every world cup... it used to work fine, play tests whenever, and lots of em, just stop doing them during origin which leads to 'will he play wont he play' bullshit...
Well this didn't really answer my question whether you were being straight up or sarcastic in your OP.

There's no reason that international rugby shouldn't run when Origin is on aside from Aussie rugby league being dicks.

Matua

Bench
So he cant understand players want to play for their nations ahead of origin

But wants to change Origin into a all stars game instead
Hasn't it been one for a while (just without ALL the Stars)? After all Ben Teo'o somehow played Origin when not being born in Oz, and not residing in Oz until he was 17 fir his final year of high school.

It's a joke.

jim_57

Staff member
Hasn't it been one for a while (just without ALL the Stars)? After all Ben Teo'o somehow played Origin when not being born in Oz, and not residing in Oz until he was 17 fir his final year of high school.

It's a joke.

Now that the loophole exists we’ll see a fair bit more of this kind of thing. Players know they can play Origin for the cash, experience & exposure whilst still having an International career for Samoa/Tonga and/or Australia. Nanai & Taulagi the latest.

Scrap the tier 1/Origin rule and if a player is eligible for Origin under the Born/13th birthday/father rules then let them play. I wonder how many of Papalii, Ponga, Nanai, Taulagi, Paulo etc might have chosen Kiwis if they could play both NZ & Origin.

Matua

Bench
Now that the loophole exists we’ll see a fair bit more of this kind of thing. Players know they can play Origin for the cash, experience & exposure whilst still having an International career for Samoa/Tonga and/or Australia. Nanai & Taulagi the latest.

Scrap the tier 1/Origin rule and if a player is eligible for Origin under the Born/13th birthday/father rules then let them play. I wonder how many of Papalii, Ponga, Nanai, Taulagi, Paulo etc might have chosen Kiwis if they could play both NZ & Origin.
I think Ponga would have been a definite and Papali'i looks likely (from articles I've read after only finding out he nearly chose NZ in the past week).

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I think

This is the reason the NRL will stop these tests mid season because once Tonga Samoa etc receive equal pay ie. 15K. They have no need to play origin as their heart and pride is with their country. So the solution is keep origin and pacific tests apart.

siv

First Grade
I think

This is the reason the NRL will stop these tests mid season because once Tonga Samoa etc receive equal pay ie. 15K. They have no need to play origin as their heart and pride is with their country. So the solution is keep origin and pacific tests apart.
Until the Oz product gets damaged

Its going take something like Oz missing the RLWC semi finals before it sinks in

Perth Red

Post Whore
They should have an international weekend after SOO.
Kangaroos V Kiwis, Samoa V Tonga .. etc
Or It would be incredible to build a rivalry and have the Kiwis v kangaroos on Anzac day, the game would fill homebush...but we can't let a silly international game get in the way of the rooster v dragons :D
Apparently tribalism only works for sydney suburbs, sometimes.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Players continue to be pressured to sit out test matches:

However, the Cowboys are not keen on Leilua playing for Samoa in the representative round for fear of injuries because they are dealing with their own injury crisis in the forwards.
The Telegraph revealed Leilua has agreed to sit out the Samoa Test in a bid to be fit for the Cowboys’ Round 16 clash with the Broncos.

jim_57

Staff member
NSW side named, hit & miss news for Tonga with Staggs available but Talakai is in the blues squad.

Fiji could now pick RCG & Sims.

Last edited: