What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL2 Second Division

Pippen94

First Grade
The lower tiers should be a pathway to the NRL but it shouldn't be the only reason for them to exist.

If we did have a second division you would still want the fringe NRL players involved in some way. You could have a loan system where NRL clubs could loan their development players to NRL2 clubs with say minimum 3 month contracts. You could also have dual registration / feeder arrangements but with a limit on the number of dual registered players allowed each match.

So you could still have the pathways aspect, but just get away from the pure reggies / feeder club model.

Yeah, it's called feeder clubs

siv

First Grade
NRL2 should not feeder clubs

Otherwise it will just become a 17 club defacto RG playing in different club colours as NRL players 18 to 30 plus would be playing

Better to not have NRL players playing

Then it can adopt a sense of community and serve the part-time player pool

Canard

Immortal
I do like the optimism that there are several hundred players looking to play professional Rugby League for $100k a season or less, who have no ambition to play in the NRL.

And that there would be sufficient administrators, match officials, coaches, trainers, grounds and facilities for such a competition.

Pippen94

First Grade

Otherwise it will just become a 17 club defacto RG playing in different club colours as NRL players 18 to 30 plus would be playing

Well,guess if clubs aren't feeders the whole thing won't exist. Of course, was never to exist in first place..

Perth Red

Post Whore
I do like the optimism that there are several hundred players looking to play professional Rugby League for $100k a season or less, who have no ambition to play in the NRL.

And that there would be sufficient administrators, match officials, coaches, trainers, grounds and facilities for such a competition.
Garbo or professional Rl player on $100k for ten years, tough call!

gosford, Sunshine Coast, cairns, perth, Adelaide, port moresby, Christchurch etc etc all Have more than suitable stadia.

I like the optimism that there is the money to pay several hundred players $100k a season or less let alone the number of players.

Aren't these comps in existence now in NSW at least - Ron Massey Cup and Sydney Shield

I like the optimism that there is the money to pay several hundred players $100k a season or less let alone the number of players.
If a streaming company pays $30m per annum for a 10 team competition then there can be a salary cap of $3m for each club. A squad of 25 brings the average salary of each player to $120k.

I wouldn't rule out Stan wanting a competition like this to create content for their platform. If it adds 120k or more viewers to their 4K + Stan Sport Tier at $27pm then they'll make a profit.

Pippen94

First Grade
If a streaming company pays $30m per annum for a 10 team competition then there can be a salary cap of $3m for each club. A squad of 25 brings the average salary of each player to $120k.

I wouldn't rule out Stan wanting a competition like this to create content for their platform. If it adds 120k or more viewers to their 4K + Stan Sport Tier at $27pm then they'll make a profit.

They not going to get that money plus league run over length of nz to Perth will be costly to run. NRL will have 10 teams it will be responsible to keep afloat.

This topic should be benchmark for this forum. If ppl believe this should & will happen they should be banned for being clueless.

Pippen94

First Grade

Doubt they would be payed that much, tho I'm sure they'd find players etc. Problem is there's no interest in 2nd competition & it would die in the ass.

Canard

Immortal
Garbo or professional Rl player on $100k for ten years, tough call!

gosford, Sunshine Coast, cairns, perth, Adelaide, port moresby, Christchurch etc etc all Have more than suitable stadia.

Unless you create a egalitarian competition where everyone is paid the same salary, this isn't how professional sports work.

So some players will be getting $200k and others $10k, and what's the "feeder" system to this comp? (I.e where does this comp get players when others are injured, retired or move on?)
This comp can only ever be semi-pro at best.

Anyone good enough to earn $200k is going to have ambition to play at a level above this type of glorified park footy

How can a competition exist in a seperate ecosystem? Can we call this competition The Schroedinger Cat?

Canard

Immortal

Where's the demand? If they are so desperate for content why don't they pay $5M for the QRL now? Shit even $2M?

The $30M spent on Union, isn't just burning a hole in there pocket, ready to be diverted to any old shit

jim_57

Staff member
I’d personally prefer to see the current QLD & NSW Cups expanded and potentially one day a “NZ Cup” added as well. I’d even have an end goal in mind of Digicel Cup PNG on a level with them as well and a knockout series featuring grand finalists from each at the end of season.

Queensland Cup has a decent spread already, especially with Toowoomba returning. Bundaberg, Darwin, PNG 2 or Pacifique Treize are probably the expansion options, at a stretch for some of them.

NSW Cup I personally like the idea of tier 2 clubs being separate entities as NRL clubs, even if just in name but that would require a major shake up. As for expansion options I guess Central Coast, North Coast (Coffs), Riverina (Wagga), Fiji, Victoria, Central and/or a 2nd Hunter side based in Newcastle or Maitland. Again stretching for some of those.

NZ Cup would obviously need some strong financial backing to make it a reality.

Pippen94

First Grade
I’d personally prefer to see the current QLD & NSW Cups expanded and potentially one day a “NZ Cup” added as well. I’d even have an end goal in mind of Digicel Cup PNG on a level with them as well and a knockout series featuring grand finalists from each at the end of season.

Queensland Cup has a decent spread already, especially with Toowoomba returning. Bundaberg, Darwin, PNG 2 or Pacifique Treize are probably the expansion options, at a stretch for some of them.

NSW Cup I personally like the idea of tier 2 clubs being separate entities as NRL clubs, even if just in name but that would require a major shake up. As for expansion options I guess Central Coast, North Coast (Coffs), Riverina (Wagga), Fiji, Victoria, Central and/or a 2nd Hunter side based in Newcastle or Maitland. Again stretching for some of those.

NZ Cup would obviously need some strong financial backing to make it a reality.

Those tiers are already exist. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Pippen94

First Grade
Unless you create a egalitarian competition where everyone is paid the same salary, this isn't how professional sports work.

So some players will be getting $200k and others $10k, and what's the "feeder" system to this comp? (I.e where does this comp get players when others are injured, retired or move on?)
This comp can only ever be semi-pro at best.

Anyone good enough to earn $200k is going to have ambition to play at a level above this type of glorified park footy

How can a competition exist in a seperate ecosystem? Can we call this competition The Schroedinger Cat?

Ur too young to remember metro cup which sat below nswrl & featured many talented players who couldn't get run in big league for whatever reason. Irony was teams were set in Sydney allowing players to work outside of game & not just random far flung places.

Colk

First Grade

He is not reinventing the wheel though, he is just expanding those leagues. It makes much more sense than creating a completely new competition.

There is also the benefit of providing a link between regional areas and other areas that will never have a side to that of the NRL, which is a benefit you could argue considering the struggles of country rugby league and investment in those areas

Pippen94

First Grade
He is not reinventing the wheel though, he is just expanding those leagues. It makes much more sense than creating a completely new competition.

There is also the benefit of providing a link between regional areas and other areas that will never have a side to that of the NRL, which is a benefit you could argue considering the struggles of country rugby league and investment in those areas

Small towns aren't going to be satisfied with 2nd division. Comp will always be small time. Better to have feeder comp. Imagine NRL having to worry about 2nd division clubs going bust?!

jim_57

Staff member

That’s exactly what I said. Expanding the existing comps, no reinventing of anything just adding to the current comps with a potential “NZ Cup” added in the future.