What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd16: Eels v Rabbits GAME DAY THREAD @ Accor Stadium 2/7/22

TheRam

Coach
Biggest issue for me is

Guthersons contract

BA contract

Wether we persist with Moses whonisnt evolving into a calm steady half.

The rest of issues I don't care about. They are the main 3.

The thing is though Hindy, we need to bring in a coach with more strings to his bow before we can assess the players properly. At the moment they are world beaters one week and chumps the next. They obviously have a lot of talent individually, but the coach for whatever reason can't seem to get them to show it consistently.

Some of the players may have that fault in them and no matter who the coach is it wouldn't matter much and they wouldn't get any better, but others would. The position we are in now is that we need to bring in a new coach that can sort it out and bring that consistency out from the ones that will improve under better systems and coaching psychology and get rid of the ones no matter how good the coach is will never really find that consistency over a long haul. A perfect example of a player with heaps of talent that could never find real consistency was James Roberts. We need to find out if we have any of those sorts of players or is it more a that just need a new voice and fresh ideas to refocus and energize the squad?

What I think we shouldn't do though is start to point the finger at players just yet until the new guy has some time with them. Just my opinion.

Cloeel

Juniors
Because we have been there or thereabouts more than these other teams. We should be building on from those 4th, 5th and 6th finishes to be a clear top 4 side.

Yes but the season is not over yet. So we don't actually know yet what position we will finish and how much finals footy we may or may not play...

Happy MEel

First Grade
Yes but the season is not over yet. So we don't actually know yet what position we will finish and how much finals footy we may or may not play...
We know what has happened the last 8 years though, which is why his re-signing last year was ludicrous. If we simply wait until the end of the season, we may not have viable options to take over. At this moment, there are 2 genuine options.

emjaycee

Coach
@hindy111 I look at it slightly different than you do and try and see whether the win or loss is actually a surprise based on the team we are playing. I only expect us to win against teams ranked well below us and half the games against team ranked on par with us.

Titans - Beat a team we are better than
Sharks - Lost on the bell to a team we are on par with
Storm - Beat a team that are better than us
Dragons - Beat a team we are better than
Tigers - Lost against a worse team and should have won
Knights - Beat a team we are better than
Cowboys -Lost to a team that are as good, if not better than us
Panthers- Beat the best team in the last 3 years
Roosters - Lost to a team we are on par with
Manly - Beat a team we are on par with
Raiders - Beat a team we are better than
Dogs - Lost against a worse team and should have won
Roosters - Beat a team we are on par with
Souths - Lost to a team we are on par with

Played 7 teams we are better than and lost 2 we should have won - 5/7
Played 5 teams we are on par with and lost 3 so 2/5
Played 2 teams clearly better than us and won both so 2/2
Played 1 team that surprised us (Cowboys) and in hindsight are playing better than everyone expected this year 0/1

I am not actually that surprised where we are sitting at the moment.
We have had a couple of shockers (Tigers and Dogs), got surprised by Cowboys but they have out performed everyones expections and we have won 2 games we didn't have the right to win (Storm and Panthers). The rest of our games have gone as expected with a mix of wins and losses against the teams that are pretty similar matched to us.

strider

Post Whore
@hindy111 I look at it slightly different than you do and try and see whether the win or loss is actually a surprise based on the team we are playing. I only expect us to win against teams ranked well below us and half the games against team ranked on par with us.

Played 1 team that surprised us (Cowboys) and in hindsight are playing better than everyone expected this year 0/1

We have had a couple of shockers (Tigers and Dogs), got surprised by Cowboys but they have out performed everyones expections and we have won 2 games we didn't have the right to win (Storm and Panthers). The rest of our games have gone as expected with a mix of wins and losses against the teams that are pretty similar matched to us.
There is no place for perspective around here.

f**k of

hindy111

Post Whore
The thing is though Hindy, we need to bring in a coach with more strings to his bow before we can assess the players properly. At the moment they are world beaters one week and chumps the next. They obviously have a lot of talent individually, but the coach for whatever reason can't seem to get them to show it consistently.

Some of the players may have that fault in them and no matter who the coach is it wouldn't matter much and they wouldn't get any better, but others would. The position we are in now is that we need to bring in a new coach that can sort it out and bring that consistency out from the ones that will improve under better systems and coaching psychology and get rid of the ones no matter how good the coach is will never really find that consistency over a long haul. A perfect example of a player with heaps of talent that could never find real consistency was James Roberts. We need to find out if we have any of those sorts of players or is it more a that just need a new voice and fresh ideas to refocus and energize the squad?

What I think we shouldn't do though is start to point the finger at players just yet until the new guy has some time with them. Just my opinion.

You need fullbacks who can break tackles and are fast. Cause they float they are the hardest player to mark and so important to your attack.
Unfortunately Gutherson is slow and doesn't break tackles anywhere near enough.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Can you see us finishing top 4 on what we've dished up the last 5 or 6 games??? I can't, if we keep playing like last night we will be lucky to make it into the 8.

Cloeel

Juniors
Can you see us finishing top 4 on what we've dished up the last 5 or 6 games??? I can't, if we keep playing like last night we will be lucky to make it into the 8.

We won't know until the regular season has ended.

Providing analysis on a full season will be far more accurate with where the club is at rather than week to week.

What happens if we scrape into the top 4, have some luck on our side and make the GF?

Will we still have BA's head on the chopping block?

Also on a side note a lot of people on here way over rate our squad. Our squad is more likely to finish 6-8th then in the top 4.

hindy111

Post Whore

That's fair enough. Plenty of other sides wins probably are not convincing either.
I break down games to control of the game. Against the Sharks we didn't deserve to win. And against Manly if they hadn't lost Turbo we lose.
Against the worse team in comp the TITANS both games ended in arm wrestles. Yes we won. But they shouldn't be games where your fighting just to hold on. So I acknowledge those wins but I also see them as struggles and not convincing. In other words if we met again I wouldn't be that confident.

It isn't like the Cowboys,Souths or Dogs beat us. They exposed us and did it easy.

Then I look at our defense and 11/15 games we copped 20 points or more.
We kept Saints,Knights,Roosters, Sharks to under 20.
3 of those games where early on in season. Our defense is woefull

hindy111

Post Whore
We won't know until the regular season has ended.

Providing analysis on a full season will be far more accurate with where the club is at rather than week to week.

What happens if we scrape into the top 4, have some luck on our side and make the GF?

Will we still have BA's head on the chopping block?

Also on a side note a lot of people on here way over rate our squad. Our squad is more likely to finish 6-8th then in the top 4.

No. Lets see how the season pans out. I highly doubt we finish higher then 6th.

strider

Post Whore
You need fullbacks who can break tackles and are fast. Cause they float they are the hardest player to mark and so important to your attack.
Unfortunately Gutherson is slow and doesn't break tackles anywhere near enough.
You are entirely focused on a fullback being a ball runner.

There is also passing in attack ... And of course defense and kick diffusing.

Gutho is not the fastest or most explosive but he is stiil very good at all the other things, bbetter than most.

I think he is a bit off at times rhis year tho

emjaycee

Coach
When we beat Penrith yes I did.

Did I think Sharks or Cowboys where before season started? No I did not.
That's where we differ.
I simply don't think our squad is top 4 material.

We simply don't have enough quality players when you get past our top 13 or 14.
With injuries, suspensions, etc. we are always going to be relying on players like Makatoa, Opacic, Kaufusi, Stone, Rein, and Cartwright and none of those guys make it into a top 4 teams 17. And then we have huge skills and experience gap to the likes of Rodwell, Emu, Perham, Arthur and Russell.

Cloeel

Juniors
That's where we differ.
I simply don't think our squad is top 4 material.

We simply don't have enough quality players when you get past our top 13 or 14.
With injuries, suspensions, etc. we are always going to be relying on players like Makatoa, Opacic, Kaufusi, Stone, Rein, and Cartwright and none of those guys make it into a top 4 teams 17. And then we have huge skills and experience gap to the likes of Rodwell, Emu, Perham, Arthur and Russell.

What are your thoughts on Mahoneys year thus far?